Do you have to pay federal income tax? Is there a law requirering you to?

by frankiespeakin 117 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

John Doe: I'm not being nasty. I'm just telling the way it is. Those who are now serving time in jail or went bankrupt (like Mulan's friends above) would have loved to have information from a "nasty" person like me beforehand.

Also.....the IRS pays informants 10% of the booty! So, you better watch out who knows that you're not paying taxes. They can get rich if they snitch!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Fran,

The long and the short of it is that by paying your taxes life becomes easier in the long term, despite having to part with cash that you may desperately need in the short.

Taxes are not pleasant, but you are buying services from the Government and not all taxes are spent on war. As to the rich paying the greater burden of taxes, this is not really correct. Warren Buffett in a room full of multi millionaires recently guaranteed that he paid a lower tax rate than the person who cleaned his house. His rate is 17%. He also guaranteed that everyone in the room was paying a lower rate than their gardeners. They may pay huge sums, because they earn huge sums, but their tax rate is lower than most.

John 'Shirtless' Doe,

Hey skeeter. You better watch making posts like that. People will call you nasty. ;-)

Did Skeeter threated to turn a poster in to the Taxman? I missed that bit.

HS

• John Doe
    John Doe

My post was meant to be facetious, skeeter. If you read the rest of the thread, you'd see what I mean. ;-)

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Warren Buffett in a room full of multi millionaires recently guaranteed that he paid a lower tax rate than the person who cleaned his house. His rate is 17%. He also guaranteed that everyone in the room was paying a lower rate than their gardeners. They may pay huge sums, because they earn huge sums, but their tax rate is lower than most.

Everything is relative. Percentages are irrelevant to how much actual tax is paid. Furthermore, I can guarantee you that anyone claiming earned income credit is paying a lower percentage in taxes than any wealthy person.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I don't know if my not paying taxes will change things, but if enough people don't pay it will. My main reason for not paying isn't to bring change it's because I don't like the [edited]government period. I'd be happy with no government.

Me too. No government means no laws. Then we could all beat the crap out of deadbeats who don't want to pay their own way, and we won't have to worry about going to jail.

W

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    The only way you can get out of it, I hear, is if you never had a social security number,

If I ever produce offspring, the child shall not have a SS# nor a birth certificate.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that ex-jw's aw well as jw's attract a much larger percentage of nutters than the the regular population?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think that ex-jw's aw well as jw's attract a much larger percentage of nutters than the the regular population?

It's not just you. W

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

IP_SEC:

If I ever produce offspring, the child shall not have a SS# nor a birth certificate.

then I guess your future mother of your future child will be having the child at home and you will home school him/her? Just dont ever try to get school, insurance, etc. for him/her. And if they get sick...yep, you need ID at the hospital....and just think...unregistered...no birth certificate....how do you prove he/she is a US citizen? Can you imagine the nightmare scenario you set up for that child when he/she turns 18. The kid could be deported, but to where? I guarantee when they go to try to prove their identity at some point in their lives, it will be YOU they come after. Why would you do that to your child over some stupid tax evasion protest issue that means nothing?

Voltaire once said "I do not agree with a thing you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Please think before you make/post stupid statements.

Oh, and by the way....I used to do data entry for the IRS a few years ago.....I processed payments of people who owed taxes from the 1960's!... that's right, the coupon with their payment said: "1st Qtr 1965", or something like that.....these people were paying on debt 30 years old. There is no statute of limitations on government debt. You can never run from any type of government debt (IRS, property taxes, payroll taxes, student loans, etc)....as someone else said, they are first in line for their money. don't put off the inevitable....get a good tax lawyer and settle with the IRS...you will pay penalties, fines, and the original tax...but at least you avoid jail time, garnishment, criminal record, etc....

SnakesInTheTower (of the "cannot believe people still try this crap" Sheep Class)

• Descender
    Descender

To say that the rich pay the majority of the taxes is true. But the percentage of their income that they pay towards taxes, as long as they take advantage of all the legal tax loopholes, will almost always be much smaller than the percentages of lower incomes.

My ex in-laws owned an accounting firm. It wasn't just your run of the mill rinky dink cpa office, it was an international accounting firm that could deal in taxes in all states and other countries. They were what most people would call rich and they legally paid in an average of about 15% every year, that's all. I make a lot less than they did and I pay in around 30% because I can't take advantage of all the loopholes.

So saying that the rich pay the majority of all the taxes is true, because even if they only pay out at 15%, that 15% of 5 million dollars is going to be a whole lot more than my 30% of 60 thousand dollars. It's just that the percentages and loopholes aren't exactly fair for those that aren't rich.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit