"Carnivores were designed to eat plants!"

by Anony-Mouse 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

So said one of my family members recently.

I'm pretty sure that if a lion eats grass, it will get sick.

And if lions were designed to eat grass, why do they have teeth perfect for eating meat?

Carnivores were "made to eat meat" after the flood. And dinosaurs were "killed during the flood". But I seem to remember that there are bones inside the stomachs of dinosaur predators, thus proving that they ate meat.

It just seemed to stupid to me for them to believe something like that so adamantly...

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Carnivores were "made to eat meat" after the flood.

This one gets me too. Why? What was the point of making all those previous grass eating lions, tigers, wolves, bears, snakes, spiders, scorpions, vampire bats, and mosquitos (to name a few) become carnivourous after the flood? Why couldn't they continue to be grass eaters like the elk, deer, camel, sheep? What was the purpose of Jehovah changing them over to meat eaters especially if he was just going to change them back again a couple of days/thousands of years later? Especially since he would have had to redesign them all with fangs, claws and digestive systems that could handle meat? If he didn't have to redesign them what did they have those fangs and claws for before the flood? Also, what did vampire bats and mosquitos eat before the flood? What did all the other insect eaters eat? What did anteaters eat? For that matter, what did whales and dolphins and sharks eat? Grass? Fruits and vegetables? Everything in the ocean eats other animal species.

I actually asked my husband this and he said they all ate seaweed and seaplants before. I don't think there is enough seaweed and seaplants in the ocean to fee ALL the marine life! Again, what was the point of Jah redesigning all those millions of ocean species to eat each other after the flood? What about freshwater fish? Before I was totally faded, I was at a witness gathering and a bunch of pioneers were talking about how nice it will be in the new system when we won't eat meat and none of the animals will eat each other. I asked them if the animals weren't going to live forever and none of them were going to eat meat anymore, then what would happen to all the millions of dead stinking animal carcasses lying all over the place? Would we have to be constantly digging graves and burying them?

It was the funniest thing. It had been a loud and lively conversation and suddenly it went quiet for about a second, you could hear a pin drop and you could almost see the minds stop and wonder Hmm? Then about a second later, the veil dropped back down and someone changed the subject and the conversation just picked up and carried on, loud and lively, as if the question with no logical answer had never been asked. Cognitive dissonance in action. If the answer to a question doesn't make any sense, why just ignore the question of course.

Cog

• Arthur
    Arthur

One would think that such moronic silliness would have passed away with the era of harpsichords and powdered wigs.

The examples of dinosaurs is just one example of how the anatomies of prehistoric animals had very specific designs / evolved functions for killing and eating other animals. Many of the prehistoric sea reptiles had extremely sharp teeth. Were these razor-like teeth for eating plankton?

Countless species after the age of the dinosaur (and predating man) had similar functions. I doubt that the saber-toothed tiger had such a powerful jaw and teeth for eating berries. One of you mentioned modern lions. If lions were really originally designed by Jehovah to eat grass, why do they have such sophisticated hunting instincts and methods? Would JWs say that these evolved? (maybe the Society believes that Satan, the great "roaring lion" taught them these techniques from his experience of hunting Jah's people).

The Watchtower Society's Creation book even discusses the designs of many birds, and how their powerful sight is specifically designed to spot insects and small prey from far away. The Creation book even discusses the eyes of the eagle, and it's ability to spot field mice from hundreds yards away. The Creation book never even suggests that such features "evolved" in the last 6,000 years. Yet, this is what would have had to happen if their assertions about animals not being designed to be predators was really true.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

"We taught this lion to eat tofu!..."

Damn hippies!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

This is what happens when the ignorant get to say what God has in mind.

• sparrow
    sparrow

Another thing I had never even thought about - How freakin obvious is that. They must have put something in my baptism water.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Arthur said,

One would think that such moronic silliness would have passed away with the era of harpsichords and powdered wigs.

LOL!

GREAT line!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

This is one of those items that made me 'buy the company line' on the outside, but inside I was never settled about it.

This is clearly the result of 'making the evidence fit the crime'. The entire basis of Jw [and other fundy] culture depends on this being so. If carnivours roamed the earth before the flood, then the 'peaceful earth' that is to be restored, was not so peaceful was it?

Another related item; Just how the hell did 'a mist going up continually' from the earth, water itself, as stated in Genesis? Here in my area we have had a hot dry summer, with 'mist in the air' quite a bit from the high humidity. The plants and grass are all dying, not turning tropical paradise-like. But some summer rains will change all that. I don't mean to start debunking all the Genesis account - but now that my mind has become rational, none of that seems to be so.

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary
    Carnivores were "made to eat meat" after the flood. And dinosaurs were "killed during the flood". But I seem to remember that there are bones inside the stomachs of dinosaur predators, thus proving that they ate meat.

If memory serves, I think the 'new light' on this from Crooklyn, is that the dinosaurs, lions and any other carnivores were actually "scavengers". I think they knew that it was a far stretch for anyone to believe that a saber toothed tiger or T-Rex was happy to munch on just roots and shoots. While I'm sure they were scavengers, I sincerly doubt that they went trotting by another animal that was alive, on it's way to getting eat some greens.

• Gopher
    Gopher

"But, but ... it's a Bible-based belief! Here, wait -- let me go find the Watchtower where it says that. That'll prove it to you!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit