Do you think the GB was/is that smart?

by exwitless 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

arthur said

There is no doubt that Fred Franz was extremely intelligent (the man spoke several languages fluently). However according to his nephew Ray, and others who knew him well, he was a detached person, almost eccentric in some ways. (judging from the way he dressed, I'll concur).

Intelligence however, doesn't impress me in the slightest. There have been incredibly intelligent individuals throughout history who's intellects hindered them from having any depth of human empathy compassion, and common sense. Sometimes, a high intellect can cause one to be somewhat seperated from reality, and place expectations upon others which are unrealistic.

Yes I agree - additionally the leaders isolate themselves from the modifying influences of others - they live in such an insulated world - they think they are being very very rational in an irrational world and very spiritual when in reality they are crushing the very people and qualities that can get them out of the mess they are in.

It seems to me that life within the borg will continue to worsen until the whole organisation implodes - they will bring about their own demise.

Meanwhile people are suffering within but non jw relatives and school friends hopfully are talking about what they are learning on the internet.

I've just had a thought - what about targeting relatives of jw's (if we know who they are) and schools with a leaflet campaign advertising our discussion boards

edited to add: on second thoughts don't think the above is a very good idea as it may be seen a a hate campaign

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Under Russell I think it was an attempt to be sincere. Russel was a voice for those disgruntled with organized religion and started to build a following.

Under Rutherford it turned into a cult. He saw people desperate for a leader and stepped in. Not for enlightenment, but for his own personal benefit. He had new cars, lavish trips, several homes and a life of luxury all at the expense of his followers.

After Rutherford died, the WTS went into one of the largest growth periods. Here was an organization that had cult like control tactics and recruiting procedures, but no cult leader. Very appealing and deceptive.

Previously restrictive rules on their preaching work could be easily challenged now as they started to form a more mainstream religious structure. They won many court decisions for freedom of speech which earned them favorable press. The growth was phenomenal which only helped their message of being God's chosen spokespeople and it was easy for the people at the top to feel they were doing God's work.

The massive growth though, didn't come without cost. While at one time focused on publishing books for their dedicated membership, they found it necessary to start assuming additional roles. Managing the congregations, new halls, land management, policy and politics. This created a ballooning overhead to support the structure. People without any experience in these tasks were thrust into positions of controversial power over the fate of faceless members. The first priority was to ensure the structure stayed in place. For without order, surely there would be chaos. Rights of the individual may need to be sacrificed for the rights of the many.

What it meant to be a true follower of Jehovah was being changed from a guideline to law. The membership could not be trusted with making the proper decisions. Ignoring the obvious parallels between this course of action and the pharisees of old, they plowed forward. In the 70's the Governing Body was given total control at the bequest of Ray Franz and that in my opinion was the beginning of the end.

Previously, the GB only served as a sounding board to the president. They could offer their opinions and debate, but the whole direction of the movement was still led, for better or worse, by an individual. With the change of this, the head was lopped off the beast and there now lacked any true leader to act as a guide. They still had momentum, but momentum without direction isn't the same as progress.

All organizations were in for a major surprise in the 80's when people started to learn en masse that organizations could be held legally responsible for their actions. The Watchtower realizing how exposed they were started drafting up numerous changes to their business model. Surely if Satan was going to attack God's organization, bleeding them dry from frivolous lawsuits would be key. They worked closely with legal departments on mounting a solid defense while their spiritual offering suffered. The question "Is this what Jehovah would want?" was quickly replaced with "Would this make us legally liable?"

Again, focusing inward and ignoring the flock let countless members fall to the wayside from a poor blood policy, child abuse, education, corrupt elder bodies and foreign policy. But the numbers were few compared to the annual growth so it wasn't a priority.

Into the 90's came the information age. This created a global community allowing anyone to easily talk to anyone else in the world. People started to talk and share. The previous apostate efforts that lacked finance and visibility were now offered a main stage for little to no cost. People started to share their stories and the long string that the GB had wound up and hid, now started to unravel in plain sight to everyone.

Today the momentum has flipped. All those people cast aside by the callous decisions are banding together and each one chipping away at the integrity of all they have built. Still they are focused on preserving themselves. Long ago they have lost sight of why they started, God's word is now secondary to survival.

Their actions since the late 70's have all been reactionary to change. They still lack direction and if they elect a president again to break deadlocked votes, and make decisions that are good for their members, not just the organization, then they stand a chance of survival.

Otherwise, they are in a slow downward spiral that is picking up it's own momentum. Already the overhead is starting to crush the weakened organization, only time will tell if they will recover.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I tend to think Russell was attempting to break away from established religion. True, he was already on the wrong foot. The Mormons and the Seventh Day Adventists are the other religions that were part of this family.

Once Rutherford stepped up, things went from bad to worse. That monster was a master cheat. All he wanted was to control everyone, and get rich doing so. He is the one that banned holidays, got everyone into the door to door misery, and brought much persecution down on the members. He created more problems that weren't there than anyone else in the chain before or after.

What happened later, others wanted to build on it. Rutherford was intelligent, but misused it. The leaders after him wanted to continue the scam. They were somewhat smart, but not as smart as Rutherford. Raymond Franz was the only one that even made half an effort to right the wrongs that went on, but he was not able to stand to the majority that wanted status quo.

At present, I don't think the Governing Body is any smarter than the average poster on this board. They are more arrogant and haughty than anything. Laziness and dishonesty plague all of them. Dishonesty is the dominant trait of those at the top, though I am seeing signs of blatant laziness coming in as well. They have cut way back on publications, and the quality of the words on the paper is also dwindling. I am hoping that one day, the apostates are going to outsmart the Tower and back it into a corner where the law will not help them. And then CRASH!

• emptywords
    emptywords

Many GB members reached a certain point of sacrifice where cognitive dissonance took over
    completely. "I sacrificed so much for this religion- it can't be wrong."
    Once they made the GB, they should have seen the big problems, but that dissonance would
    not let them. PLUS- what would they have if they left the organization. Easier to swallow the
    crap and try to maintain the control you inherited. Some who were experts at kissing up and finally made it here were going to enjoy themselves no matter if it was the truth or not, they
    just wouldn't investigate too deeply.

I agree with this..being in the situation and where to go from there, they have become far worse than Christedom that they proudly compare themselves to the better for........

• Gregor
    Gregor

J.F. Rutherford, the real founder of the JW religion, was NEVER an earnest student of the Bible. The GB continue his religion.

Zack, good point. The real objective has always been to get bigger, sell more paper and keep the proletariat under tight control.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Today ... Yes men in denial, funded by the fearful, and not one of them could find their own asshole with 2 hands and a map. Morons and boogeymen fleecing the unwary. Smart - NO! Manipulators - YES!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I can personally vouch for Geoff Jackson being smart. He wrote Tuvalu's first, and probably only, dictionary. He is also a gifted speaker. However intelligence does not prevent people from believing all manner of insanity. Every religion and cult has its highly intelligent followers. There are a lot of intelligent people on this board that eagerly swallowed the Watchtower information and found ways to internalise it despite all the obvious contradictions. When information is regularly presented in the correct manner with facts obscured and inconvenient evidence ignored it can get through anyone's defences. I think it is important to remember that the GB are made up of people that spent many years, generally their entire lives, being indoctrinated by the WTS. They are products of the very system they now perpetuate.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Wow, you guys are the intelligent ones. Thanks for your comments.

Paralipomenon - you should write a book! You're a great writer.

Many GB members reached a certain point of sacrifice where cognitive dissonance took over
    completely. "I sacrificed so much for this religion- it can't be wrong."
    Once they made the GB, they should have seen the big problems, but that dissonance would
    not let them. PLUS- what would they have if they left the organization. Easier to swallow the
    crap and try to maintain the control you inherited. Some who were experts at kissing up and
    finally made it here were going to enjoy themselves no matter if it was the truth or not, they
    just wouldn't investigate too deeply.

This is so true. It may very well explain why and how they continue to bulldoze their way through controlling peoples lives, breaking up families, etc. They just can't allow themselves to think that maybe they are wrong. I guess that makes them about as un-humble as you can get.

• dontomas
    dontomas

I second that - a wonderful spot on post, Mr. P

Don Tomas

• exwitless
    exwitless

btt

any other thoughts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit