Perfection

by purplesofa 42 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Socks and underwear wont help anyone to find their true essence.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

rofl you know nvr, sometimes I just dont care!!!!

purps

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

In my opinion, (and experience?), Perfectionism, as commonly expressed, is a highly destructive psychological disorder. It does more harm than good.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

rofl you know nvr, sometimes I just dont care!!!!

purps

Me neither. That's why I gave up on it long ago. LOL!

The socks and underwear that is. The true essence is still cool.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I don't see why "perfection" has to mean "uniformity."

Take that old familliar example, the Platonic idea of "The Chair." Anything that meets that ideal can be classified as an example of the Ideal Chair: Morris chair, Barcelona chair, Adirondack chair; throne, chaise longue, rocking chair, folding chair: just so it has a seat, a back, and enough legs to keep it stable and off the ground at a convenient height.

But back to purplesofa's original question:

What is the perfect nose? the perfect eyes? body? mind? morals?
    For my money, "perfect morals" are centered around the golden rule – but a "perfect" nose, pair of eyes, body and mind are those that reliably fulfill all the functions of life. All else is biological exuberance, for which I thank the Alleged God every day.

gentlyferal

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Alleged God. I like that.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Good Point GF

For my money, "perfect morals" are centered around the golden rule – but a "perfect" nose, pair of eyes, body and mind are those that reliably fulfill all the functions of life. All else is biological exuberance, for which I thank the Alleged God every day.

thanks

purps

• Dagney
    Dagney

How many of us were raised in such a way that we never fully pleased our parents or whomever... whatever we did was never good enuf. That, to me, is what "god" would be doing.... hanging the carrot but never giving it up.

Seems sorta F'd up to me. Good thing I dont think that way.

LOL, exactly!

What a great discussion. (How'd I miss it...okay...I know.)

Again, thank you thank you thank you for this board and its participants!!! So long I have tried to have this particular discussion with anyone, any board, anywhere, to no response.

• Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

I was thinking about perfection too.

JW always say: Adam and Eve were perfect and yet the were mislead by the Devil.

after that they were no longer perfect.

Were the no longer perfect because they made one mistake? What does perfection mean then?

Or was becoming imperfect the punishment for being mislead?

In my opinion, someone who is decieved or mislead, is not guilty, (okay, maybe of being stupid), So why punish them at all?

And then there's the future. JW will grow towards perfection, in 1000 years time. Of course at the end the devil will be around again, and we already know (now!) that thousands of perfect JW in paradise will follow the devil when he will be free again.

So what's the point of being perfect? Will you never make a mistake or a wrong decision anymore? No. You're perfect until you're not perfect anymore.

I don't see the advantage at all.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I agree with Purplesofa, perfection is the label we apply to things that fulfill an intended outcome.

It relates to desire. Things that fulfill a desire are "perfect". Things that don't fulfill a desire are not. And what fulfills one person's desire may not fulfill another person's desire. Thus "perfection" can only assessed in regards to a subjective standard.

Perfection isn't a property or value that things can possess. It's a correlation between what we want(ed) and what actually is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit