ZEITGEIST-The Movie. And The Code of Hammurabi. Shattering!

by Jez 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Jez
    Jez

Have you seen this movie? If not, watch it and let me know what you think. You can watch it all right here, no need to rent it. Just click on the link below. It is fascinating and educates you about what religion/Jesus/Moses etc really is. Recycled archetypes used to explain the universe, in particular, astrology.

If you have already seen it, let me know what you think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5547481422995115331

The other thing I wanted to share is something I saw at the Louvre when I was there at Spring Break. Check it out below. The bible is full of plagerism. I have not yet done it to all the laws, but the laws that I have cross referenced with the biblical laws are almost identical. The bible was written after the Code of Hammurabi. I had always grown up naively thinking that the biblical laws were the oldest and (gulp) only laws written down regarding how to live life. They most certainly were not.

The Code of Hammurabi (also known as the Codex Hammurabi and Hammurabi's Code) was created ca. 1760 BC (middle chronology) and is one of the earliest extant sets of laws and one of the best preserved examples of this type of document from ancient Mesopotamia. It was created by Hammurabi. Still earlier collections of laws include the codex of Ur-Nammu, king of Ur (ca. 2050 BC), the Codex of Eshnunna (ca. 1930 BC) and the codex of Lipit-Ishtar of Isin (ca. 1870 BC).

The Code contains an enumeration of crimes and their various punishments as well as settlements for common disputes and guidelines for citizens' conduct. The Code does not provide opportunity for explanation or excuses, though it does imply one's right to present evidence. For a comprehensive summary, see Babylonian law.

The Code was openly displayed for all to see; thus, no man could plead ignorance of the law as an excuse. Scholars, however, presume that few people could read in that era, as literacy was primarily the domain of scribes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi)

• dvw
    dvw

wow, interesting!

I knew the jesus myth was pretty well recycled, but didnt know about the laws. Not to argue, but if the hammurabi laws were written in 1760 bc. wouldnt the mosaic laws pre date them by a few thousand years?

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I watched Parts I & II last night and Part III today.

Part I was most interesting and I am hoping some of the more intellectual people here will be commenting on the theories presented. I was also curious how the time frames meshed with when the Bible stories were written. I will watch it again.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Jez, I'm glad you posted it, I'm in a Deism group and they posted it there a few days ago, I was thinking of posting it here, it's really fascinating!!!

IC

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I'm not sure it it's the same people who did the tapes I saw a few years ago but the information is the same it's just revamped a lot easier on the eyes for sure!

Good stuff thanks for the link I'm going to find a way to pass it on to some of my JW friends......mass emailing! LOL

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks Jez! Great movie! A lot of things, very sadly, start to fit into place.

As for the code of Hammurabi, I posted on this about a year ago. Hammurabi, apparantly ascended to a high place and God wrote commandments for him, supposedly on a copper scroll and this was about 400 years before Moses supposedly also climbed to a high place to receive commandments from God carved on stone! It was Hammurabi who put a stop to the 'eye for an eye' mentality that supposedly previously existed and formed a fairer system of fines and punishments instead of people beating the crap out of eachother for every misdemeanour.

People around the world are definitely becoming more aware of the deceptions we have all been under. After seeing the Zeitgeist Movie, I understand why the Romans had the hero of the story telling people to 'Pay back Caesar's things to Caesar!' It's all about money!!! OMG! All those atrocities are all about money!

The world is a crazy place but WHY it is such is beginning to make sense!!

• Jez
    Jez
    I knew the jesus myth was pretty well recycled, but didnt know about the laws. Not to argue, but if the hammurabi laws were written in 1760 bc. wouldnt the mosaic laws pre date them by a few thousand years?

Genesis was written in 1513 bc. That is newer than 1760 bc. You count down. The Hammurabi laws are older.

Jez

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

For What It's Worth Department:

Here are various quotes from JW literature regarding the code of Hammurabi:

w8711/1p.12par.8"You Must Be Holy..."***

True, the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi, which is said to predate the Mosaic Law, covered a similar span of subjects. Some of its statutes, such as the law of ‘eye for eye,’ or talion, are similar to Mosaic principles. Critics thus claim that Moses merely borrowed his laws from Hammurabi’s code. Hammurabi’s code, however, did little more than glorify Hammurabi and serve his political interests. God’s Law was given to Israel ‘for their good always, that they might keep alive.’ (Deuteronomy 6:24) There is also little evidence that Hammurabi’s law was ever legally binding in Babylon, serving as little more than "legal aid for persons in search of advice." (TheNewEncyclopædiaBritannica, 1985 edition, Volume 21, page 921) The Mosaic Law, though, was binding and carried just penalties for disobedience. Finally, Hammurabi’s code focuses on how to deal with wrongdoers; only 5 out of its 280 laws are direct prohibitions. The thrust of God’s Law, however, was toward preventing, not punishing, wrongdoing.

w5511/15p.702QuestionsFromReaders***

Questions

FromReaders

How can the claim that the law of Moses was copied from the code of Hammurabi be answered?—F.M.,UnitedStates.

Even if two law codes cover similar situations it would not prove one was copied from the other. People face the same general misdemeanors and crimes, and two separated groups might very logically cover these same crimes in their laws. Because of the faculty of conscience that Jehovah put in man, persons have similar reactions to what is right and what is wrong in human conduct, unless their conscience has been calloused. Romans 2:14, 15 (NW) says: "Whenever people of the nations that do not have law do by nature the things of the law, these people although not having law are a law to themselves. They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them and, between their own thoughts, they are being accused or even excused." So here is specific evidence or admission that sometimes nations without the Mosaic law took a course similar to that law, doing by nature what is right because of conscience and being accused by their conscience when they did what was wrong.

This must not be overlooked. Even before the Babylonian king, Hammurabi, who seems to have been contemporaneous with Abraham, there were organized groups and societies of men with laws and judicial precedents to govern their life and practice. From the time of the Noachian flood forward, for instance, Jehovah dealt with a patriarchal society, a society under the leadership of righteous family heads like Noah and Abraham. The actions of these societies were governed in such matters as contracts and purchases, property rights, rules of work, family and community responsibility for individual members thereof, real estate transfer, theft, violation of marital vows, slavery, and so forth, by written or unwritten codes of law.

So instead of godly law and order being drawn from Hammurabi’s code or other pagan codes, it seems to have been the other way around. Sir Charles Marston, on page 51 of his book TheBibleComesAlive, says: "It seems certain that Hammurabi’s laws were a codification of the older and existing laws and customs of the Semitic Race—the race that sprung from Noah’s son Shem, the race to which the Hebrews belonged." The evidence is, therefore, that heathen nations carried over many ancient laws and customs from the Noachian system of law and order, which pattern the faithful Hebrew patriarchs followed.

Moreover, examining the two systems of law, that of Hammurabi and that given through Moses, the latter is seen to be the more just and equitable of the two and hence the more faithful to the original legal system that came into being among God’s faithful people. For instance, if an Israelite slaveholder became brutal and struck a male or female slave so that an eye was lost he was forced to let the slave go free, while under Hammurabi’s code he was let off with merely paying half the slave’s value. (Ex. 21:26; Ham. No. 199) Hammurabi’s code said: "If it [a poorly constructed house] cause the death of a son of the owner of the house, they shall put to death a son of that builder." (Ham. No. 230) But the Mosaic law code specifically forbade putting to death a son for his father’s sin: "Fathers should not be put to death on account of children and children should not be put to death on account of fathers. Each one should be put to death for his own sin."—Deut. 24:16, NW.

So it cannot be said that the statutes of the Mosaic law were borrowed from or mirrored the same spirit of the Hammurabic code. Rather, if anything, the Hammurabic code was a heathen corruption of earlier righteous statutes put forward by the Semitic patriarchal society under Jehovah’s direction.—TheWatchtower, July 15, 1952, page 434, paragraph 8.

I always find it interesting that "true believers", like most fundy religions, will NEVER, EVER concede that the Bible comes from earlier source material. And god forbid that the source be Babylonian in origin!

For instance, the Creation story has roots in Babylonian mythology. NO!, says the true believer, the Babylonian story is obviously a corrupt version of the true version (except there is no proof to back up this "obvious" conclusion...)

Parts of the book of Jude quote, almost word for word, from the Apochryphal book of Enoch. So the writer of Jude accepted the book of Enoch as sacred text, right? Wrong! "Obviously, the writer of Jude quoted from the same original source that the writer of Enoch did!" Except, once again, there is no proof for that assertion.

w019/15p.30Enoch Walked With God in an Ungodly World***

Does

the Bible Quote From the Book of Enoch?

The Book of Enoch is an apocryphal and pseudepigraphic text. It is falsely ascribed to Enoch. Produced probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C.E., it is a collection of extravagant and unhistorical Jewish myths, evidently the product of exegetical elaborations on the brief Genesis reference to Enoch. This alone is sufficient for lovers of God’s inspired Word to dismiss it.

In the Bible, only the book of Jude contains Enoch’s prophetic words: "Look! Jehovah came with his holy myriads, to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him." (Jude 14, 15) Many scholars contend that Enoch’s prophecy against his ungodly contemporaries is quoted directly from the Book of Enoch. Is it possible that Jude used an unreliable apocryphal book as his source?

How Jude knew of Enoch’s prophecy is not revealed in the Scriptures. He may simply have quoted a common source, a reliable tradition handed down from remote antiquity. Paul evidently did something similar when he named Jannes and Jambres as the otherwise anonymous magicians of Pharaoh’s court who opposed Moses. If the writer of the Book of Enoch had access to an ancient source of this kind, why should we deny it to Jude?—Exodus 7:11, 22; 2 Timothy 3:8.

How Jude received the information about Enoch’s message to the ungodly is a minor matter. Its reliability is attested to by the fact that Jude wrote under divine inspiration. (2 Timothy 3:16) God’s holy spirit guarded him from stating anything that was not true.

Speaking for myself, I just remember a really cool computer game from the 1970's, written in Basic, called "Hammurabi", which was a text based, economics and agriculture simulation. That was the first time I ever heard of Hammurabi, until later when we learned about the code in World History.

• CaptainSchmideo
  • Gill
    Gill

Babylon had a very advanced civilisation. They even managed a sewage and drainage system while the Israelites were still being 'commanded by God' to take a dump outside the camp walls.

Not surprising tha'God' gave Moses his laws on stone, but the Babylonians had theirs written on copper!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit