Laptop Users I need your help

by noni1974 39 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

NONE!

GO HERE... http://www.deals2buy.com/delldeals.htm 3/4s way down till you get to this...

review: http://laptoping.com/dell-vostro.html

Dell Vostro 1000, AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-53, 1.7GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 80GB, 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive with Cyberlink Power DVD, 802.11b/g, ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™, Windows® XP Home, 1yr Warranty » for$499at Dell.com

List Price: $624 Exp: 07/18/2007
    Vostro notebooks are built exclusively for small business and are ready to be customized with the features and software you want without any trialware. The Vostro 1400 packs power into a stylish, thin and light system and gives the frequent traveler extensive technology options including enhanced wireless connectivity, exceptional durability, great service options and a 14-inch widescreen display.
    1. Click here to go to Dell Small Buz Site.
    2. Price shows $499 after instant discount
    3. then keep continue and add to cart for $624
    4. Final Price: $624- $125 instant = $499 + Free Shipping + Tax
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon

damn, that laptop is better than my desktop.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I looked at it.My only question is does it have a DVD burner??I really need one of those.I have videos I need to be able to burn on to a DVD and give to my family on my camera.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

YES...$40 more

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Decide beforehand exactly what you want to do with the computer. Understand the system requirements of your software and peripherals before making your purchase, and make sure the laptop you buy will accomodate that and still have resources to spare. You don't want to spend all that money now only to find it won't meet your needs in 6 months or a year. I can almost guarantee that 256 MB of RAM will not be enough. My workplace minimum standard for RAM is currently 1 GB. 256 MB was our minimum standard 4 years ago.

I recently got a new computer running Vista. While there are things I don't like about Vista, connecting to printers or my cameras was not a problem. I can, however, get only a bare bones driver for my 6 year old scanner. I didn't have to load any camera software on the computer, as I have a card reader for the camera's card.

I stay away from the consumer versions of anything when possible. If I get a Dell laptop, I'll buy it online at their business site. I usually get a Dell Lattitude with a 3 year on site warranty. That means if something goes wrong with it, they are knocking on my door within 24 hours.

It costs a bit more this way, but since I stopped buying "home" versions of anything I've never been disappointed. I believe you get what you pay for.

W

• noni1974
    noni1974

Bascialy I want to be able to surf the web while I'm out at diffrenet places.I want to be able to burn DVD's and CD.I want to be able to some how get my CD's into MP3 because I want to buy myself a Ipod for Christmas.I want to be able to put whatever song from my CD's I want on my Ipod I don't know how to do that yet but I will learn.I'm not a gamer.I don't download music from the web.I don't watch TV on my computer.I don't want this laptop to totaly replace my desktop.I just don't want to be stuck in my bedroom like I currantly am.So being able to move around the house and still be on the web is important.Or being able to go out and get somthing to eat and surf the web would be nice.

I just go from site to site and read mostly.I chat some also.I might want to take it to work with me.I drive a taxi so I would have to park outside of a WiFi place to surf the web while at work mostly on Sunday nights when I'm slow.I don't need it for my business.I would also like to take it with me if I travel.

I'm not a tecky type person.I do know that the computer I have now needs to be replaced.My currant desktop doesn't even have a CD burner.I'm not wanting the latest and greatest in the computer world.I'm not that good with computers as it is.That's why I was looking for a good used computer.Nothing special.

• TD
    TD
    So the router sends a signal to the laptop??Does the laptop need anything more than the wireless card to recieve the signal??And where would I get a wireless router from??

Noni,

Briefly, routers do just what their name implies. They route data between two or more different networks. Your Cable/DSL/Satellite modem will be assigned an IP address by your ISP and the modem will become part of their public network.

Your modem will plug into your router and the router will place you on a separate, private network with a private IP. It will then route data between these two networks. So you can see that a router is important because it actually acts as a rudimentary type of firewall.

Example:

Cable modem ----> (Public IP 67.116.205.0) -----> Router -----> (Private IP 192.168.10.1) -----> Noni's computer(s) ----> (Private IP(s) 192.168.10.X)

Sombody called it a "Splitter" but this is really the function of a Switch. Most home routers have this function built into them as well; that is to say they usually have at least four ports on the private side so several devices can communicate with each other and with the internet.

Wireless routers not only have ports on the private side, they also broadcast and receive a radio signal as well. Depending upon the size of your house and property, this signal could very well blanket some of your neighbor's houses.

Any computer with a wireless network adapter within range will be able to recieve this signal.

For this reason it's important that you take advantage of the fact that wireless routers allow you to encrypt the signal with a key (Think of it as a password) that only you know. Other people will still be able to receive the signal, but without the key, your router will ignore them. This is where most people that are new to networking get confused.

But I'm sure there's plenty of people here that would be willing to walk you through it. (I know I would.)

Wireless routers can be purchased at just about any consumer electronics store (e.g. Circuit City, Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.)

You can also buy them from online electronics stores like New Egg, Amazon, etc.

I don't have a wireless router myself (I have a commercial setup with an Adtran router and wireless access point) but I've heard good things about the Lynksys wireless router. It's certainly one of the most common ones out there.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

noni, please, please, please take what WAC and TD have said to heart (them in particular, but others are giving good advice too). I would not get any of those used laptops for those prices. They are too expensive. The first thing you would have to do is upgrade the RAM. Keep in mind that it is very common for the video circuitry in a laptop to share the main system RAM. What looks like 256 MB can quickly not be that amount. Win XP running on less than 256 MB is kinda slooooow.

There would also be questions of whether or not the built in wireless card on those older machines has the newest encryption (the wireless "password" stuff TD talked about). If you have to end up bying a new wireless card so that your network (the thing your new wireless router will create) can use the good encryption and if you have to buy more RAM, you are really, really gonna regret that used laptop purchase because of the expense. You need to be able to run the new encryption because the old stuff can be cracked in a matter of minutes by anybody who is even half trying. Even the new encryption can be cracked without too much trouble if someone wants to, but it takes long enough that most people will move on to an easier target.

As TD said, go with a Linksys wireless router. They can be locked down well and are reasonably priced and reliable.

When the time comes for you to setup the network, we'll walk you through it.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I would type out a detailed response, but I figured why would I do that, when it's already on the web. ;-)This is an excellent place to do business with. I've ordered numerous times from them and have gotten excellent service.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/university/wireless.asp

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

John,

We have a Tiger Direct store in the neighborhood. They just set up this store less than a year ago. You are so right. When I happen to be out of town and go shopping for computer-related stuff and the store I'm in doesn't have it, almost always they tell me to try Tiger Direct for quality, selection and price.

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit