Laptop Users I need your help

by noni1974 39 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

I'm going to buy my first laptop in the next week or two.I want to know what else I'll end up needing to go online with it at a WiFi hotspot?There are a few of them around where I live at coffee shops and things like that.Do I need a wireless service provider when I'm at these hot spots??

Also what would you recomend I get for use at home?I have a DSL modem that will allow me to have 4 computers pluged into one modem.I want to be able to use my laptop anywhere in my house.What do I need to reach these goals with a laptop??

I've heard of wireless cards and wireless routers.But I don't know what they do or if I need them.I've never used a laptop before I have only ever used a desktop.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Do I need a wireless service provider when I'm at these hot spots??
    Usually not. If the signal is not hopable ... get .. Sprint Wireless starts at $50 a month or so.

What do I need to reach these goals with a laptop??
    Mare sure your router (the one with 4 connections has wireless capabilities). Also make sure your signal is protected otherwise people like me will steal your bandwidith to fill JWD with nonsense.

• noni1974
    noni1974

LOL You bad bad apostate you.

How do you protect your wireless connection at home??So people like youdon't steal my bandwith??What is bandwith and how do you get it??Will my ISP give me that??How much does it cost??

Will I need a wireless card to get online at these hotspots??The place that I'm buying my laptop from has these wireless cards for $36.00.How many hours or downloads is that good for??

I don't have a router I have a DSL modem that will let me hook up 4 computers to it at a time.All with wires.I think they are called ethernet wires.I don't know.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

Firewall, and make sure you password protect your wireless router.

If your laptop doesn't come with a wireless card, you'll need to buy one.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I've never used a laptop before

You're screwed.

Pope

• Gopher
    Gopher

If you're buying a newer laptop, it'll likely have a wireless card installed. I think most newer laptops come that way. Then you'll be able to log in at any hotspot.

I have a DSL Gateway that connects my PC to the phone jack. Any wireless-enabled PC around the house can then be logged in and get high speed access.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    How do you protect your wireless connection at home??
    You can setup a password on the router so that only you can acess the wirless signal. Nothing is foolproof though ... never think you are safe using wi-fi. These signals can be listened in on and steal info. Nonetheless, still pretty safe.

Bandwidth: In computer networks, bandwidth is often used as a synonym for data transfer rate - the amount of data that can be carried from one point to another in a given time period (usually a second). This kind of bandwidth is usually expressed in bits (of data) per second (bps). Occasionally, it's expressed as bytes per second (Bps). A modem that works at 57,600 bps hastwice the bandwidth of a modem that works at 28,800 bps. In general, a link with a high bandwidth is one that may be able to carry enough information to sustain the succession of images in a video presentation. http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci211634,00.html

Will I need a wireless card to get online at these hotspots?? YES...NOWADAYS NOTEBOOKS/LAPTOPS HAVE THESE BUILT IN...CHECK THAT FIRST. The place that I'm buying my laptop from has these wireless cards for $36.00.How many hours or downloads is that good for?? HOURS? AS LONG AS YOUR NOTEBOOK BATTERY CAN LAST ... 2-5 HOURS... CARRY YOUR AC ADAPTER WITH YOU THOUGH.

http://malektips.com/wireless_internet_help_and_tips.html

• noni1974
    noni1974

So I'll need a wireless router with a password to protect it.Where would I get one of those?From my internet service provider??Or can I go to a store and buy one??I looked at my modem and I noticed it says wireless on it.So would my router go plugged into my modem to access the net at home??

I don't think this computer comes with the wireless card.I'm buying a used laptop because I didn't want to get windows vista.I'm getting it from a computer store in my town.It will have a clean hard drive they take everything off the computer and wipe the memory and reinstall all the software.The operating system and everything.They also get all the updates and install those before you pick it up.It will come with Windows XP it has a CD burner and DVD player.

I would like to upgrade the CD burner DVD player to a DVD burner and CD burner because I plan on using this laptop for my digital camera.I can take video with my camera.I have no way at the moment to get the videos off my computer I have right now.I would like to be able to burn them onto a DVD.I can take over an hour of video on my camera.It doesn't do me much good at the moment to have a digital video camera without being able to share them with my family and friends.I know I can buy a DVD burner/CD burner at a computer store and have these guys put it in for me.I also like the idea of being able to take my computer with me if I want to get out of the house.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    So would my router go plugged into my modem to access the net at home??

Yes

The router (basically a splitter) plugs into the Cable/DSL Modem box.

Vista is crap. Get at least 512MB Ram, 1GB if you can afford. Antivirus: SAY NO TO MCAFEE/NORTON/PANDA...use KASPERSKY. I spend countless hours removing viruses from machines with these so called antivirus programs.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Noni,

Here's my two cents worth. DON'T buy a laptop from a small dealer in town. They usually charge more and you get less for your money. And don't buy a laptop that you have to upgrade in any way.

I have a laptop that is serving me beyond my wildest dreams. I have a desktop that I hardly ever use anymore because the laptop does everything it does and more. It's faster too, even though it's a Celeron (which I don't recommend if you can afford something faster). I'm not complaining about the Celeron speed. Because I regularly run my antivirus and some utility tools, my little machine is plenty fast. I use it mostly for building church websites.

What I have added is a desktop keyboard and mouse, so I run my laptop as though it were a desktop machine.

Now, I would recommend getting a laptop from a store like Sears. I'm in Canada, so I don't know if you also have Staples, another excellent source. You might also get a good deal at Radio Shack when they're having a sale. Here in the Toronto area, I've looked around and found that Sears generally has the best for your money. They only recently started selling computer here, so maybe they don't sell computers where you are. I've been disappointed in the inferior quality machines sold by Wal-mart. They don't have much memory compared to Sears and some others.

As I said, just my 2-cents worth. I hope you enjoy your laptop as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Frank

I'm making this suggestion because you are likely going to get a much larger hard drive and far more memory if you buy from the larger stores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit