China selling cardboard as a snack!!!

by sammielee24 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

As far as I know there are a lot of people living in poverty but they aren't selling cardboard to unsuspecting people...

Total Americans below the official poverty thresholds numbered 35.9 million, a figure 1.3 million higher than the 34.6 million in poverty in 2002. (U.S. Census Bureau, Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2003, Current Population Reports, August 2003)

On average, one out of every three Americans - 34.2 percent of all people in the United States - are officially classified as living in poverty at least 2 months out of the year. (U.S. Census Bureau, Dynamics of Economic Well-Being: Poverty 1996-1999, July 2003.)

The number of Americans living in severe poverty - with incomes below half of the poverty line - increased by 1.2 million in 2003, to 15.3 million. (U.S. Census Bureau, Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2003, Current Population Reports, August 2003)

Since 1999, the number of poor Americans suffering from "food insecurity" and hunger has increased by 3.9 million - 2.8 million adults and more than one million children. In 2002, 34.9 million people lived in households experiencing food insecurity - that is, not enough food for basic nourishment - compared to 33.6 million in 2001 and 31 million in 1999. (U.S.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Food/consumables have only been regulated in this country in the last century. Slaughter houses were (and I suspect often still are) filthy. We put heroin and laudanum in cough syrup. Lots of "street vendors" were selling garbage by the name of "tonic". Cocaine in soda pop. Thalidomide prescribed to pregnant women as late as the 1960's. It's always about money ultimately. China is slowly but very surely becoming capitalistic, they will eventually figure out regulation. They won't be able to compete in the world economy if they don't. I rode over on the plane to Beijing last year, with a man whose job was to teach business students the economic importance of being environmentally sound. Oddly enough for a country as old as they are, in some ways, they are very young.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I saw a blurb somewhere in the last couple of days that the cardboard snack story was a hoax. But the point is still valid that China has a long way to go in this area.

• funkyderek
  • sammielee24
    sammielee24

Re the hoax...it was my understanding that the Chinese gov't did not take kindly to the report and it was assumed that they would make every attempt to discredit the reporter....all I know is that a law was passed 5 years ago that would see all of our foods labelled with origin. That way, a consumer could make his/her own decision as to wether or not they wanted to eat any food from a country other than what they themselves deemed safe. This law has never been enforced and is up for appeal by the big corporations again, that do not want labelling. There is some indication that this is also one step closer to the Uniamerican deal that would eliminate any corporate borders between the US/Canada and Mexico. sammieswife.

• wednesday
    wednesday

well , they have to do damage control, they have took some huge hits lately. I believe it.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Even if it isn't a hoax, it's equivalent to one McD franchise in this country trying to cut costs by stretching burger meat with cardboard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit