Does your personality type affect your belief in the divine?

by Paralipomenon 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm an INFP and agnostic. If I hadn't been raised a witness, I doubt I would have explored religion at all.

My personality type ranked high in a likelihood of belief in a God. I don't really understand it though.

I would think the Intuitive and Perceptive aspects of it would make one critical of the aspects of the unseen.

His basis for starting this study is looking at families where all the children are raised in the same religion, but not all of them stick with the beliefs. So he's exploring the relation between personality types and spirituality.

I have to admit that the idea intrigues me, but I'm not sure if it will yield any specific results.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

ISFJ

Raised strict RC

Now a Christian - I don't do denominational labels or 'religion' - I have a living, moving faith, not rules and regulations. Not sure whether that would put me into a spiritual theist category, I'll let your friend work it out!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Humanist Athiest-NOT raised a witness

INFP

IntrovertedIntuitiveFeelingPerceiving

Descriptions:

http://keirsey.com/personality/nfip.html

http://typelogic.com/infp.html

• changeling
    changeling

I agree with Para. Most NF's and NT's I know are inclined to be skeptics, by virtue or their intuition. That leads to dropping religion like a hot potato.

• changeling
    changeling

Are you noticing a trend here? Lots of "N's". Is that because there are a lot of us on this board for some reason or because we are attracted to these kind of threads?

• twinflame2
    twinflame2

ISFP/J - I had a formal Meyers Briggs and my P and J were exactly equal

I was raised to be whatever I wanted, religiously.

Became a JW in early 20's for 20 years.

Currently pro-spirituality; anti-religion. Just read Conversations with God and it struck a good chord.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I would think the Intuitive and Perceptive aspects of it would make one critical of the aspects of the unseen.

Me, too!

Lots of "N's". Is that because there are a lot of us on this board for some reason or because we are attracted to these kind of threads?

Intuition-something we trusted in ourselves to get out of the jw's.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

ENTJ Raised a dub and left at 36 Hovering on the thin line between agnostic and atheist but leaning towards atheism. If there is a God/Higher Being then a. why would they give a rat's ass whether we worship or not and b. if they DO care whether or not we worship then why the hell aren't they doing anything? Right there with the skepticism as you can see. I believe that personality plays a major role in how receptive you are to religion/faith/etc.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

INTJ

Born a Dub, DF'd at 25

Now: searching, but leaning towards "spiritual, but not religious" I think

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Out of curiosity I took the test: InfP (lower case = 38 %, capital = 67 %)

Catholic up to 13, then JW.

A-theist, interested in philosophy of religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit