Because I like spin-off discussion...

by joannadandy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

On a thread discussing another thread it was said;

We'll never be "right", not completely anyway.

So for a spin-off of a spin-off...I'm curious what others thoughts are on this statement?

Is it a worldview a lot of us have? Does it ring true? Or is it's truth relative to the amount in which we "believed" it was the "Truth"? Or does it depend on how long we were in, vs. how long we were out?

Sorry - that statement just really got me thinking - was wondering what others thought/think about it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, I accept that I will never be "totally" (there's that damn word again) on any subject. I can settle for being almost right.

Josie

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Opinions are like A**holes, we all have one and they all STINK!

nj

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

lol - ex-nj, true -- but I was going more for if you feel like you'll never be "right".

C'mon -- I know you've got an opinion...unless you're an alien...but I bet even aliens have them...wait I'm still talking about opinions right?

• Terri_OS
    Terri_OS

What do you mean by right?

I think that as soon as we accept that we are just fine, just the way we are, then we will realise we are alright. It's a tricky one. And not just an ex-jw thing. Most people think they have something to 'fix' about themselves. Others are resigned and think they are 'unfixable'. I think self-development is a wonderful thing, but learnign to accept yourself at the same time, is probably the best and most difficult one to learn. I think once you've got that one, then the others will slip into place, kinda.

I'm still working on it, but I must say, i no longer think i'm a lost cause, and I am excited about my current life and future prospects! That's a first for me!

x

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I said it, so I'll dive right in. LOL!

I think alot does have to do with the factors you mention joannadandy.

The greater the sacrifice, the deeper the perceived loss.

I think the sense of disappointment will be different in each case.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I think you and I are right Jojo. The rest... lol.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Terri - I gotta say I feel the same way.

I wonder tho if it's just my personal belief, or my experience that makes me feel that way.

I believe anything can be fixed. Eventually wounds heal - even if there is a scar...even in time, those can fade too.

I also think for me - I wonder if I ever really believed. I mean I felt the loss when I left, but I also set about as soon as possible finding a new path instead of thinking about what I was losing.

I also attribute it to having a great ex-jw friend in my area who I could share the whole leaving the JW's process with. I attribute most of my being able to repair quickly to her friendship, and the friendships of others I have met on the boards.

I dunno - I'm not trying to belittle anyone who does feel like they will never be right, I guess I personally don't like the idea that there is nothing I can't fix - or make right. Personal stuborness then...heh heh.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

LOL (((IP)))

You crack me up!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Right meaning that we're ok since leaving the org, getting our minds right after being brainwashed ?

If so, I think given time yes we will be. Some may never be "right" or may never perceive themselves to be right or ok with life in general. I think all of us (ex-jw's) will never be as trusting of other people, but I do think you can move on and have a very meaningfull happy life.

It's all about what you put into it. If you mope around, blame everything that goes wrong in your life on the way you were raised or on the cult you happend to be involved in for a time, then no, I don't think you will ever be right. You eventually have to let go, not forget, but let go.

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit