So I went to the DC to hear that "Superiority" Talk

by mavie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie
    It can take years to pay off student loans.

And that means less years that you can spend paying the WT.

• mavie
    mavie

GramblingMan,

No, this wasn't Tacoma. Close though. It wouldn't be unusual for the interviewee to travel a DC outside their district.

• watson
    watson

I was very disappointed in this version of the talk. Was looking forward to another "D.E.A.D" type comment from the speaker.

• mavie
    mavie
    Allows us to help others. What other degree can have such far reaching effects on others?

Should I start listing the degrees that can help others?

Sounds like the speaker is uneducated as well.

And how can you support yourself and your family pioneering?

Ya Loosie, the same question came into my mind. However, it's good to keep in mind where the speaker is coming from. What he really meant by that statement is:

"What other degree offers people the hope for eternal life in a paradise earth?"

Insisting on permanence seems to lead people down the wrong path.

• Kudra
    Kudra

I just heard on the radio (NPR) today that a college graduate (don't know which degree...) makes an average of one million dollars more (over their lifetime, I guess) than a worker who has only a high school degree.

I think that at the most, a BS will get you ~$40,000 or so in debt...

Doesn't the society want the remainder of that one mil...?

That talk was lame.

-K

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    but they were on edge a little bit as I was obviously not in attendance due to my wearing flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt.

But you may very well have received an invitation on your front porch. It didn't say how you should
    dress. An invited guest should be honored. Folks should have approached you to ask if you
    needed a Bible or had questions.

• alias
    alias

So the "interviews" as usual are designed to support the current viewpoint of the organization. Highlight the negative to support "it's bad." Why don't they ever have a balanced "other side" scenario? Because they want you to come to their own conclusion and do what they say.

What about all of the degreed professionals Bethel happily snaps up (dentists, lawyers, doctors, etc.) and you wouldn't have a chance in !% to get in if you weren't "specially skilled"? How does anyone in attendance not see the MANipulation?

...and who let them be judge over if higher education will help them better serve God? Can I say if you like orange?

Oye.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit