Is this the correct place for an introduction??

by student1 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• student1
    student1

Jgnat and all of the other posts your advise shows that you have experience in these matters. Thank you!

More important details: My sister has a flaw in her jw armour. A long lost first love who is not jw! She rejected him for the jws! This long lost love has recently re-entered my sisters life. Yes, this old love is being juggled alongside an extremely strict jw reg pioneer/ms boyfriend and ofcourse the two do not mix very well!! The Jw bf lives about 400 miles away and has always been very controlling and disaproving of my sisters artistic talents. This is in complete oposition to her long lost love you is a successful singer and song writer! Recently my sisters university had a fire (possibly caused by her jealous bf- just kidding!) and she lost almost all of her art work which she was devastated about, the bf said that she should not be so in to her art and that it is not a profitable career for her when they are married. (They are not engaged!).

To sum up my sister is spending more amd more time with her long lost love and is considering dumping jw meanie and going out with romantic long lost love! Wonderful... however she is determined to remain a jw! (huge no no as we all know!).

Also, prior to meeting jw meanie she did not go to meetings for about a year! allthough she never decided to leave she just could not be bothered!! her jw bf has been a 'good' jw influence on her - she now studies constantly and has aux pioneered etc.

My sister was previously ok about my decision to leave, but changed her mind after she spent time with jw bf! she became very sanctomonious. She said I had left jah and had chosen satan blah blah blah! However... this week she told me she now completely understands my decision! all of a sudden her feelings for the long lost love have changed her perspective on my decision!!

Does any of that make sense? oh it would be so much easier if she just left the borg and gave her self a chance to be happy! ofcourse it is not that simple - as we all know! Plus I am being selfish... it would be a lot simpler for me but my sister would have hell from parents as she still lives at home and doesnt seem to want to leave!

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Student1,

This seems about as good a place for ant introduction as any, we aren't terribly legalistic here on JWD. There are no JCs for putting your intro in the 'wrong place.'

So, welcome! and I hope all goes well rescuing your sister from the b0org and her blue-meanie bf.

Glad that you are so much happier that it has drawn comment!

Very nice indeed.

So, glad to see you posting, and look forward to hearing more!

Roller (of the 'visibly happier' sheep class)

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Wow student that is awesome. I would just keep encouraging her art. Everytime you see her just keep praising her, and telling her how proud of her you are because of her accomplishments. No one in the cult will praise her for "wordly" things.

Keep commenting on her non-JW bf. Tell her how glad that you are that she has someone in her life that will understand her, since he also is creative.

Remember "you can catch more flys with honey than vinager."

Good luck keep us posted.

Leslie

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome to jwd Student1.

I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and start posting.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Glad you decided to join us!

You have to take things slow with your sister, plant seeds wherever you can, and above all else, remain calm!! Don't bash the "society" that immediately turns off JW's.

Keep us informed as to how things go!

BB

• ninja
    ninja

I've f£$%ed up with my wife today...we met 3 witnesses in ASDA and afterward we started a conversation about JW's and I broke the rules and argued with her....I tried to stay calm....but I can't.......we are sitting tonight not talking.......not nice with 3 kids in the mix....noticing the ice....oh to go back in time and say to CT Russell....hey Chuck....shut up,have a drink and lighten up....and shave the beard,and btw .....you are talking pish about pyramids and pleaides...would have saved a lot of grief

• Twitch
    Twitch

Welcome

Let me take your hat,.....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome.

JNat recommended Steven Hassans, Combatting Cult Mind Control. I would also recommend as even more important his book Releasing the Bonds. In his second book he recommends taking a gentle and slower approach. That way one attempt may not get through but you have not blocked the way for further conversation.

'what else could the society do to set them apart from the churches?'

This is an important observation. She, as all JWs, thinks the WTS is unique. It is not. For instance not only JWs disfellowship. So do Amish and Mormons. Ask her how she would feel if she was raised a Mormon and then was excommunicated for no longer believing it. It looks like disfellowshipping concerns you so this conversation will rise again with your sister so I recomend reading http://jehovah.net.au/disfellowship.html to understand why the WTS practice is scripturally wrong.

This will lead into the conversation that the only reason you are JWs is because you were born into it. You would be equally convinced you were the truth if you were born a Mormon. There is info at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/similar.htm that shows how similar JWs are to all the other 19th century religions.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Welcome to the board. And good luck with your sister.

Cellist

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Welcome student1 Glad you joined!

I am trying to get my JW sister out too. My mom loves being a dub, but my sister, in her natural personality (thanks jgnat!) is miserable and very unhappy. She refuses to acknowledge that she's under control by the Witnesses. She doesn't understand how contolled she is. You have to get out and look back, as I did. But I made the mistake, of being so happy (cloud nine) about being free, that I tried to share some proof with my sister and her defenses went up. She says she won't quit because of two reasons, she's put too many years and effort into it and she thinks they are correct about most of their doctrines. I know there are other factors too because of the cult mentality. But there are some things she doesn't support any more. Anyway, I have learned to throw small hints her way when she's not in the cult personality. Also, anytime that she complains about the KH or Brooklyn (she does often), I tell her she's right. She is right, but she can't connect the dots.

I hope you have better luck with your sister! Let us know how things are going!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit