Why can't all stars give this answer?

by Flowerpetal 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Just saw a documentary I recorded about Elvis. At a press conference once, one of the reporters asked him a political question, and he stated that he preferred to keep his opinion to himself and that he was just an entertainer and that's what he wants to do. Great answer and it kept his fans happy to the end.

Now I am not star-struck, but I do get very annoyed when some of my favorite stars spout their personal opinions on politics, etc. I watch them because I want to be entertained and admire them for their talents, not their opinions. What are your thoughts?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think it's ok if they have brains but I wish the crazy ones would just shut up...I'm not naming no names

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I wish the crazy ones would just shut up

Did you have to take a shot at the Dixie Chicks?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Didn't I just say I'm not naming any names? And no I wasn't talking about them.

• Mum
    Mum

When it comes to Elvis, I was major starstruck. What a great blend of good looks, self-deprecating humor, charisma, vulnerability and raw sexuality! I agree that he was wise to keep his political opinions to himself.

About 12 years ago, I saw an interview with Demi Moore. I don't even remember what subjects were covered in the interview. I do remember that Demi took herself totally seriously (no self-deprecating humor whatsoever) as if she were some kind of sage. I have never been a fan of hers since, regardless of her successes.

Our culture takes celebrities 'way too seriously, making them a substitute for gods, historical icons, philosophers, and just about everything else. Even the do-gooder celebs have excessive lifestyles that belie all of their "generous" good works.

In my hillbilly opinion,

SandraC

• horrible life
    horrible life

Flowerpetal, I couldn't agree more! They are an artist. Nothing more. If they want to be a politician, then do it. But don't use your celebrity'ism' for a bandstand to rally for a political cause. It just isn't right. I know that it is a double edged sword, because I think that rallying for a health cause for example, I am totally for.

Mrsjones: could it beeeeeeeee R0$(# Now that is one woman human that makes me want to hurl.

• John Doe
    John Doe

So, I guess it's wrong for a celebrity to portray any personality for anything besides entertainment? They should only voice what is important to you? Hmm, that seems rather conceited to me. If you don't want to listen to their political views, or anything besides entertainment for that matter, then don't watch their interviews.

Anyone who has a cause they believe in, regardless of who they are or what they do, should not be discredited for merely voicing their views. The only power celebrities have is what people give them. Those people do, however, have their own brain and should be responsible for using their brain.

• Gopher
    Gopher

We live in a culture where celebrity news is covered as closely as political news or news about any serious issues.

There's no going back on it. Elvis lived in a different time. But even artists like Elvis spoke out on political issues, they just did it through music. Ever heard his song "In the Ghetto"? (Not that I think the song made a serious dent in any issue, but he was speaking to an issue there.) Also, Elvis volunteered to help then-President Nixon to fight against drugs, and other "evil" influences on society such as the Beatles.

Bob Dylan sang about social issues, and people listened.

The way things are, people listen to celebrities. And certain stars do have something meaningful to say, like the singer Bono. And he backs it up with action. So if he talks about the African economy or health crisis, I will listen. And any other celebrities who actually do work for good causes (like Angelina Jolie) I will listen to.

But if it's just somebody who's famous spouting off but they don't really show any evidence of caring, then they are just talking for attention and should be ignored.

• Xena
    Xena

If they are asked during an interview IMO they have a right to speak their mind just like anyone else. It's when they use a forum that was not intended as a platform for their opinions that I have a problem with them airing them.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If they have an opinion that is of benefit to their country, the patriotic thing to do is use their fame to build support for that opinion. Democracy lives and dies on the principle and action of people-speaking-out. If they have an opinion that is harmful to their country, they should stfu. Pretty simple really ;) It was hilarious to see Bruce Springsteen being interviewed by some fluffer news bimbo two years ago. She basically made some snark about Springsteen being a musician, and how was his political view of any relevance? I've forgotten exactly what he said in response, but I'll never forget how he said it; suffice it to say that she, and anyone watching, was very aware of the irony of a stupid-yet-opinionated "news" commentator making that comment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit