Nostalgia - music hits you will always remember

by Illyrian 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Illyrian
    Illyrian

Just came across one of my favorites. Don't remember when was the list time I listened to it.

Footloose

What's yours?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In the late 80's, I was working in NYC, in Chelsea in the publishing industry as a librarian. It was winter/spring I think, and while I was working, the radio station played "Isla Bonita" a LOT. It was a happy time in my life, even though it was nasty winter weather in NYC, and whenever I hear that song I think of my co-worker (raised muslim atheist clown femnist political refugee from yugoslavia/albania who worked as a nanny till she got a full ride scholarship to Sarah Lawrence, published in several well known literary magazines and a fascinating woman who I will admire till I die), my other work friends, my favorite bookstore to get lost in after work, the stupid indexing I did (I was begging for a computer back then and I really had no idea it would virtually eliminate jobs such as mine-it was a toy).

I still love madonna-so THERE!!! :) I fell warm and dreamy every time I hear that song, I see swaying palm trees and smell the salt water in the air and sand under my feet. I always hush my family in the car, invoking my "I don't ask much but be quiet till this song is over PLEASE" request, which is given along with the look that ensures compliance.

There are others, but thats all I will inflict on you now.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here are some favorites going back to about 1967--

Late 1967: Gimme Little Sign by Brenton Wood

Mid/late 1968: Hush by Deep Purple

1969: Grazing In the Grass by Friends of Distinction. This is the one with the Can You Dig It chorus, and is rather elusive. I also liked In the Year 2525 by Zager and Evans, and Aquarius by The Fifth Dimension.

1970: Instant Karma by John Lennon, No Time by the Guess Who

1971: Love Her Madly by The Doors. Reminds me of my birthday.

1972: It Never Rains in Southern California by Albert Hammond

1973: Many including Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting by Elton John and I've Got to Use My Imagination by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Have fun trying to locate that latter song in full: it should come up 3:35 in time, off the Imagination CD which may or may not be available.

1974: Earache My Eye by Cheech and Chong

1975-77: During this period, I was living with grandparents who were against music and still managed to find the songs Sky High by Jigsaw, That's The Way I Like It by KC & The Sunshine Band, and What'cha Gonna Do by Pablo Cruise.

1978: Too Much Too Little Too Late by Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams, My Life by Billy Joel

1979: Tragedy by the Bee Gees

1980: Off The Wall by Michael Jackson, Steal Away and Hot Rod Hearts by Robbie DuPree (which CD is rather hard to get off the Internet).

1981: Arthur's Theme by Christopher Cross

1982: Get Down On It by Kool and the Gang, Down Under by Men At Work

1983: Say Say Say by Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson. I liked the whole Thriller LP that year. Flashdance by Irene Cara. Every Breath You Take by The Police.

1984: Strut by Sheena Easton, Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming by Jermaine Jackson (another hard to find cut)

1985: We Are the World by USA For Africa. Anyone born before the 1980s is likely to remember this as the great famine relief song. Of course, the Witlesses frowned on it.

1986: All I Need is a Miracle by Mike + The Mechanics

1987: Heart and Soul by T'Pau

1988: Shattered Dreams by Johnny Hates Jazz. Were it not for the Tower, I would have also placed Michael Jackson's music much higher.

1989: The Living Years by Mike + The Mechanics.

1990: How Can We Be Lovers by Michael Bolton. Were it not for the Tower, Unskinny Bop by Poison would have been much higher.

1991: Now, the real Tower damage starts. Highlights during the Dark Age from 1991 through 1996 are much sparser. Without the Tower, I'm sure many rap songs would have been more prominent. I did, however, like Waterfalls by TLC from 1995.

2001: Loosened somewhat from the Tower (by blowing off most meetings), I started getting into current rap. Ride Wit Me by Nelly, Purple Pills by D12 (and not the watered down Purple Hills, either), and Because I Got High by Afroman.

2003-05: S*** Hits the Fan by Obie Trice and Eminem. Slow &^%$ing by I20. In My Hood by 50 Cent. Bonafide Hustler by Young Buck. Lose Yourself by Eminem.

Past here, little has come out of interest, largely because of the greedy record labels and the radio stations that only play the same crap all the time. However, these are among the high points of music. And it goes to show that you do miss out on a lot because of the Tower, since there were still a lot of good songs in the early 1990s that I had trouble differentiating because of that organization.

• Illyrian
    Illyrian

Lake of fire

By the way Happy 4th of July America :)

• Illyrian
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Fire by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Take on Me by A-ha

I Melt with You by Modern English

Fire & Rain by James Taylor

Candy by Cameo

There are more, but that's all for now.

• Mum
    Mum

Hound Dog - Elvis (okay, Big Mama Thornton was first)

Baby Love - the Supremes

Rubber Ball - the Shirelles (the Shirelles are one of the greatest groups)

At Last - Etta James

Fever - Peggy Lee

Crazy - Patsy Cline

Satisfied Mind - Jean Shepherd

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Hold on, it's on the tip of my tounge....... nope lost it.

• Dr Zhivago
    Dr Zhivago

Neil Diamond's "I Am...I Said" and "Brooklyn Roads". When I first heard them I was a teen and my home life was in a turmoil. These two songs seem to resonate with what was happening in my life. When I hear them now they have a bittersweet quality for me, reminding me of both the good and the sad.

DrZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit