Former or Current Elders, MS, Pioneers.......Did you enjoy these positions?

by R.F. 31 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I "enjoyed" those positions about as much as one would enjoy a root canal. Magazine duty was a crock of s***. I always hoped for misdeliveries of magazines that would result in not being able to hand them out, or for the magazines to run out about 2 minutes in. The school assistant position was a little better--I tended to be rather strict with timing, if only to keep the meeting from running late. However, I usually stalled when it came to writing up those slips and handing them out. For sure, it was not worth it--they had better be thankful I surrendered that position before going inactive since I would have shredded every single one of those cards.

The Grand Boasting Session assignments were a true burden. Cleaning meant staying an hour or more late, always with just other men. I remember guarding a donation box at a Grand Boasting Session--the only good thing is that there were probably no sisters using that box (which meant there was that much less going into that box, but I am sure they used the other boxes, precluding creating a deficit of that amount). Handing out the new releases also sucked: at least I didn't have to listen to that discourse since I would be busy handing out the books and brochures. And once I had the job of cleaning the fruits for the a$$embly: I did my best to run out of the damn things long before the program started, creating problems for those who were counting on me to be stuck there until it started.

I think I would rather have the job of drumming up the need for S-77 forms. At least that way I could have a share in shrinking the whole congregation, hopefully faster than they get baptized. After all, it takes six months to qualify for baptism but only two seconds for a S-77 form.

• NYer Girl
    NYer Girl

I enjoyed the status that came with becoming a pioneer at 17--I even planned it that way so that people would notice how "holy" I was, sacrificing my job for pioneering (my family badly needed the money, but the truth was always more important). Then, as soon as I suffered a setback, all of my pioneer friends abandoned me and I was left alone. In the end, it was all for the best, but remembering the announcement still stings, 'She will no longer serve as a reguglar pioneer, she cannot comment or participate in the TMS..."

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

I was a pioneer and I never enjoyed it or felt any "joy" in it. I became one because I didn't feel "joy" just being in "the one true organization." I thought that maybe this would help. Well, it didn't. In fact it showed me more so everything that was wrong with this "organization."

• TheListener
    TheListener

I enjoyed all the privileges I was given. I liked the prestige and I truly thought I was helping. It was a win/win. I have lots of family in the organization at varying levels of responsibility and my fade isn't know by everyone yet. As it becomes known by more and more I get offers of "help". Of course, by help they mean "go back to the meetings you loser!"

Little did I realize how much of my life I wasted learning ridiculous WT views on matters when I should have been studying my Bible.

Nyer Girl, did they actually announce what each of your restrictions were to the congregation? That had to be very humiliating. I'm sorry you went through that. I'm glad you're free now.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I can't respect any guy who takes on that role and stays with it. They must be exposed to exactly how petty and silly the little club is and yet they still want to not just be in it, but be the guys in charge. That's a special kind of Special. Kudos to you guys who realised that you can do much better than that...

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I prayed for and received the assignments I wanted. So I was honestly happy to help.

Unsuccessfully getting the elders to quit trying to compete with me was the beginning of the end. The Rank and File members and Circuit Overseers absolutely loved me. 99% of the elders didn't like me. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that situation out. Envy. Sincere "College Boy" was not going to fit into their weak game.

===========
    Yet another excerpt from "Free Therapy":

Destruction
    of dire
    Constructs
    construed to be
    Disastrous.

The Masters of Us,
    or pretenders there of,
    did hassle and harass us
    out of so-called love.

Escaped the Dark Tower,
    Our Prison-Sanctuary.
    Regained Our lost Power
    through honest Self-Inquiry.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I loved being an elder. But this was because I made it what I wanted it to be. I taught what I felt was Scriptural, left the rest out. I used the position to help others. And as can be expected I became disgruntled and left. Isaac

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

I was a MS for 5 or so years. I stepped down when I started doing research and finding real answers. However before that I was involved w/ public talks, some assembly parts etc.

The part I did enjoy was encouraging people spiritually and instructing. I miss that to this day. No ego trip, nothing vain, I could care less if anyone said anything to me. But if I felt I truly made someone feel they had learned something or had found something encouraging to hold onto - I felt I may had made a difference. That's why i still try to go out and just discuss the Bible one on one w/ people today.

The last year I was a MS I would be very careful about what I said from the platform - I wanted to make sure and not say anything I no longer agreed with. But it got too hard to do w/ public talks and instruction talks so I walked.

Don't be afraid to resign your privileges RF. You have to stand up for what you know is right. I eventually came to the conclusion not only was it hard to watch what I said - but I didn't want people to feel I supported the org wholeheartedly anymore either. Maybe if they realize someone like me who had responsibilities is questioning things - they'll question themselves as well.

As always - best wishes on your journey.

Morph - 'take your microphone and shove it '

• justhuman
    justhuman

I was pioneer, MS with elders priveleges, and step down just before they were going to asign me as an elder(damn apostates!!!)

In fact I did enjoy this possitions...at the begining. after it was very hard to keep up with their requirements, specially when you have a family and children.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Looking back, I think I always went back and forth between "enjoying it" and "this is the thing to do".

I left high school (which I mostly enjoyed) at 16 to "regular auxiliary pioneer," follow professional distance courses (which I hated) and work in my JW parents' property (which I dreaded -- I'll have to tell more about that some day).

On the day I turned 18 I left home to regular pioneer while working part-time in a couple of lousy jobs. A few months later I was appointed a special pioneer and had to leave my congregation (which I loved) to a very dull town -- which was not fun at all in the beginning. As soon as I got 20 I was appointed a MS, caring of literature or accounts (which I hated).

A couple of years later I had a new SP appointment in a bigger industrial city with mixed population and enjoyed it. I was a MS with elder's "privileges," conducting the Watchtower study, having several Bible studies in different languages (Spanish, English, and I started learning Portuguese): that was fun. Then stupidly I applied for Bethel at a DC "because it was the thing to do," although I disliked the thought of community life due to my previous experiences. I somehow thought I would not be called because I had no professional qualifications or experience. Wrong.

I found myself in Bethel in the subscription department, wondering every day what I was doing there. After a few months I was moved to the translation department, and that became interesting again. Little did I know that it would eventually be the exit door...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit