I can't do anything about...

by Blueblades 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I have come to this point in my life, there are things that I can't do anything about.

For example: I can't do anything about whether or not there is an afterlife. I can't to do anything about all the books I read on the subjects: The Denial of Death, Life after Life, Man's Search for Meaning, The Problem of Pain, The History of God, The Question of God, Atheism, The Case Against God, The Case for Christ, The Case Against Christianity, Searching for Eternity, The Myth of Certainty,The Blind Watchmaker, The Theory of Everything,The Holographic Universe.

And many many more books that I have read on the pros and cons of many subjects, the list is too big to list here. Some of the ones I did list focus on Life and Death issues. Because I am in my sixties now, this topic dominates my thinking. My brain is non-stop and I realize that I just have to make it stop and give it a rest.

All the topics on this forum that have touched on life and death issues I have read and have come to the conclusion that there is really nothing I can do about it but just wait and try to live each day with some measure of enjoyment and happiness.

I don't want to make this all about me, just sharing my thoughts for today. Do you want to share some of the things that you now realize you can't do anything about, besides life and death?

Blueblades, who does not have closure but is trying to have acceptance.

• poppers
    poppers

"...and have come to the conclusion that there is really nothing I can do about it but just wait and try to live each day with some measure of enjoyment and happiness."

Good for you; this is a huge step in finding happiness. People want certainty in their lives but that becomes the lynchpin for adopting religious and philosophical beliefs. That smokescreen covers the fact that there IS no certainty. With that deep realization one can then relax the grip of the mind searching for it and thereby more fully enjoy life as it unfolds before you. Life is RIGHT NOW - it always has been and always will be. To believe that something more and bettter is in the future is to enslave yourself to a lie.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    have come to the conclusion that there is really nothing I can do about it but just wait and try to live each day with some measure of enjoyment and happiness.

I recently came to the same conclusion. I no longer have the inclination to use my limited time researching something I have no control over anyway.

Do you want to share some of the things that you now realize you can't do anything about, besides life and death?

I can't do anything about the stupidity of people I encounter daily.

• Cyclists who ride on the wrong side of the road during the rush hour while talking on a cell phone and eating a sandwich and weaving around cars with no hands on the handlebars. The front wheel hits the streetcar tracks and the person is suddenly on his ass, and it's everyone's fault but his, He then gets into a fistfight with a taxi driver. (true story)
    • People who have been using computers for 20 years, but still don't know even the basics of file management.
    • People who think the entrance to an elevator is a good place to have a reunion with friends.
    • Windows Vista. 'nuff said.

W

• Been there
    Been there

I am trying to do the same thing with growing old gracefully. The closer it gets the more it scares me.

I did think of something awhile back by some of the books I have read. I choose to believe in Christianity, not everyone does and thats fine by me. I am not a debater. I was thinking that if Christians believe the whole Jesus concept then to me that is proof there is life (somewhere) after death and even reincarnation. Spirit form being born, becoming flesh, dieing and coming back. Back and forth, back and forth. Granted Christs birth ment alot more then mine does but do you see where it would be possible by Christs example to physically get here and keep coming back???

Just a curious mind.

• minimus
    minimus

Blue, might I say I always enjoy your presence here!

I can't do anything about anything that I know I have no control over. I try not to obsess over what no one can give a proper answer for. What really happens when you die? I'm not sure. Is there a trinity? I don't think so but maybe. Will I do something crazy that will make me go to jail? I dunno. I hope not------but I'm not going to worry about any of it.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    Do you want to share some of the things that you now realize you can't do anything about, besides life and death?

People who wear their emotions on "their sleeves", what the news agencies decide to report on under the guise of "the people have the right to know", the way my hair has been for the past 3 yrs. I can make temporary changes but as it grows out, it will be the same as it is now.....

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Great post Blueblades!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I decided a while ago that there's no way to know if there is an afterlife, so no point in worrying about it. We'll find out too soon anyway. I can't do anything about other people - it took me a long time to learn you can't control other people, they're going to do what they want to do. I can't do anything about the weather, which sucks right now. Can't do anything about Iraq or global warming or poverty or world wide sickness suffering and grief. I just have to do what I can right here, right now.

• Warlock
    Warlock

blue,

Your thread makes me wish I had waited to start my week in review. Seems like a lot of us are getting to the same conclusions at the same time.

Great thread.

Warlock

• greendawn
    greendawn

Blueblades you seem to have spent a lot of time worrying about the issue of life after death. You should enjoy life and not be over concerned with things you can't control. The way I see it (being a believer) there will be a resurrection so dying is not the final end.

What I want to see changed but can't be changed is to have a more spiritual culture in the world as opposed to the present where humans are prey to their instinctual drives and objectives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit