District Convention talk on Education

by Mystery 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mystery
    Mystery

Justitia Themis began a topic 'Disgusting comment re: education from Tacoma 2007 District Convention' regarding a talk on education.

I would like to hear it, can anyone tell me which day and time it was given? The convention is in town this weekend (as well as last weekend and next weekend) and i need information on the talk.

I am going to visit my family next week and i want to try to talk to my niece about college. She won't email me or call me (except once a year to remind me of my sister and bil's anniversary), but while i am there she will talk to me as long as i make the first effort. I'm not DF'ed or DA'ed - with very little digging I would be, so 'technically' we can still talk. I want to be able use the society's words to try to make her think and question. She's 21, still lives at home (thank God she didn't jump into marriage!), was home schooled and is a pioneer.

I haven't been back in 7 years - after this visit it may very well be another 7 yrs or after this visit i won't be welcome back at all.

I would also like to know if the quote from Justitia Themis

One of his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D. ....ah...yes, everyone laughed and clapped.

was heard at other conventions. Was it from the speaker or from the out line? I can't see the comment being in writing from the WTBS, but ..........

Thank you

Deborah

• jambon1
    jambon1

Sick and twisted bastards.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I may be wrong, but I'm inclined to suspect that this was the speaker
    at that particular dc trying to be clever. I really can't see the org
    putting a comment like that in the outline as theytry to encourage
    non jws to attend the convention.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

JW humour is soooooo under rated

What a dumb thing to say, is he implying that he in uneducated? What a tool

• Mystery
    Mystery

I agree dedpoet I can't see it actually being written in the outline.

I would 'like' to hear the talk - I haven't been in a KH or to an assembly in over 19 yrs - I don't know if i will be able to take much of the 'spiritual food', if anyone has a program with the time and day please let me know.

Deborah

B.S - AAS - AAS (who couldn't decide what she wanted to be when she grew up)

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

It's a Saturday afternoon talk. I too do not believe this is in the outline. Several other posters have written about assemblies in their areas, and they do not mention this statement.

Regards,

Justitia

• Tristram
    Tristram
    One of his closing comments was that at Armageddon, educated people will be able to add a few more letters after their names...D.E.A.D. ....ah...yes, everyone laughed and clapped.

What a complete ass comment. What about all the JW's that are educated and the Society uses to their advantage? Will they be D.E.A.D., too? What a jerk.

• under_believer
    under_believer

It is almost impossible for me to believe that was actually said. There are many, many educated Jehovah's Witnesses whether they're in the minority or not.

• Open mind
    Open mind

They definitely didn't say that at our DC. But, I have to respectfully disagree with under_believer on this. I could definitely see some knee-slapping yokel of a speaker thinking he's clever saying something like this. There's plenty of "college degree envy" out there among the dubs.

Open Mind

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

When I first read this thread, I mentioned it to my active JW wife and asked her what she thought of this comment. She said she already heard it at her convention in Dekalb, Illinois - so either it was the same speaker or someone who copied off him or it was in the outline.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit