How open-minded are you since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses?

by nvrgnbk 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I don't know that I'm open-minded. My mind is pretty closed to the bible and religion, but it's a case of been there done that. I'd describe myself as more of a live and let live kind of person. Everyone has the right to believe or not to believe. I just don't want to hear about it any more! As for how other people live their lives, none of my business as long as they aren't hurting someone.

• changeling
    changeling

I think I was always very open minded, but now I can be open minded openly.

• flipper
    flipper

Good subject! nvrbnk! Mr. Flipper here. I tend to agree with Brinjen, I'm open minded as long as it doesn't infringe on people's basic rights as human beings. But because of being brain fried by the witnesses, I have become very cautious as to who I trust or what concepts I put alot of stock in. I love and trust my close family members, and those that don't try to re-cram the witness stuff back down my throat. However I do enjoy exploring different subjects, like to read and be informed and learn new things. Whether I adopt it as a personal concept I can relate to is all dependent on whether it can pass the test of my already half cynical mind. Peace my friend, Mr. Flipper

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Peace to all my open-minded friends.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I don't care about being open minded. I'm rather cautious of what I believe- I'll always choose facts over feelings. And as far as who I trust well I'm much more cautious.

• Twitch
    Twitch

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" - fridge wisdom of unknown origin

It's a hard thing for me to say exactly how open minded I am. I have convictions and certain beliefs which I find solace in. I also consider the possibilities of differing points of view on any subject and decide on where I stand on it. Most people who know me have said I am open minded; one has said I think in black and white (another xdub no less which I now find amusing). I've cultivated both traits over time since leaving and feel comfortable with the balance I have with it.

• helncon
    helncon

I think i was always an open minded JW.

But the difference now is that my eyes are more open now to reflect on how actually closed minded the JW really are.

I gess i got all my questions answered years later when i was able to see the light.

Helen

• changeling
    changeling

I seem to detect that people are confusing being open minded with being trusting, or naive. They are not the same thing at all! I , for one am open minded in that I am open to new ideas and am willing to concede that someone else may have a point. However, I consider myself quite jaded in that I do not instantly trust people or believe ideas that cannot be proven true.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I seem to detect that people are confusing being open minded with being trusting, or naive.

open-minded -
    adjective

1. Ready and willing to receive favorably, as new ideas: acceptant, amenable, open, receptive, responsive. See accept

Well I'm not confused one bit.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I think what changeling is alluding to, forgive me for trying to explain your thoughts, is that "open-minded" may have more to do with concepts and ideas than with interpersonal relationships and the giving of trust and confidence in those relationships.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit