Why do witnesses intentionally avoid having kids?

by NotaNess 33 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    Now I have no wife and no kids, and it's too late to start now.

You could think about either adopting a child or becoming a foster parent. I think it would be wonderful to adopt an older child who doesn't have much chance of being adopted because of his/her age. You could get a 12 year old boy and ya'll would have a ball doing stuff together like fishing/hunting/sports ...

Adopting through the foster system isn't expensive either. And being a foster parent means you get a check to help with the expenses.

Maybe you've already thought about this and decided it isn't for you. Its definately not for everyone but I did want to suggest it!

• Balsam
    Balsam

My JW husband and I didn't have kids till we were in our 30's because we were waiting for 1975 end to come. That was the only reason so when that time passed in 1983 we had our first child. He was a surprise though because we had come to the conclusion we couldn't have children after trying to from 1976 on.

We went on to have three children, we had one to die because of an auto accident at 15. I have one in federal prison because he thought he could do anything he pleases after leaving the witnesses and broke the laws. And I still have one good son but his father rejects him because he is disfellowshipped just like his older brother is.

Having kids is a very mixed bag of good and bad. If children grow up and have some common sense and make a good life for themselves living as law abiding citizens we can take pride in them. But how often do we find that children grow up to be something less than we could ever have expected. Unfortunately no matter how much effort parents put into raising their children with morals, obeying the laws and just living a normal life some just don't want that. The children end up bringing all kinds of heart ache on the parents who wanted them so badly. Having children is only good if they turn out good, and I don't mean by JW standards but by how society views overall responsibly good. Then there is the possible death of a beloved child. I knew of one JW family that lost 3 sons to auto accidents and their heart break was so very sad.

The WTS encouraged people to keep the ministry first, but only some of the folks followed that line of thinking because it was a matter of conscious. It was like back in the 30's & 40's they discouraged people in the witnesses from getting marriage but to pioneer. It was crazy but many went along with it and remained single till late in life. We remained childless till after 1975 because we really believed the end was coming.

• zack
    zack

I didn't notice much difference between JW's and regular folks when it came to having kids or not.

Moshe: Thanks for sharing. Doing something like that is awesome.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I have 3, no planning just kinda happend. I love them more than life, although sometimes I just wanna......

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to grandchildren so I can spoil them rotten and watch my children suffer!!!! And since I only have boys I want them all to have a couple of girls, just to liven things up a bit!

nj

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Balsam,

I'm so sorry to hear about your children. The loss of a child is something I can't even begin to imagine. I hope you don't shun your children.

nj

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

One of my brothers and his wife have three. He's getting snipped so that they don't have anymore. I'm not sure what the society's view on this is, but he's doing it anyway. My oldest brother and two sisters have all decided not to have them, partly because the time is so short, partly because they are all pioneering and kids would interfere with that. I think that a lot of JWs get married young and have kids so that they have an excuse to not pioneer like they're expected to. They either pioneer or start families. They never put off having kids so that they have more time for themselves. That's not an option for them.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

There are still a lot of JW's being raised today who are not having kids because of still being 'in this wicked system of things'. Believing that armaggedon is only a few months away, means they can put off that decision and wait for the new order.

When my DIL mentioned after 7 years of marriage that they were thinking of having kids, they were advised against it by their grandmother, their mother and their siblings. This system is ending soon so why not wait? So for those who think this isn't still an issue, it is. It just isn't brought outside in the light in many cases. What bothers me more though, is the blatant disregard that JW's have for kids NOT in the JW brotherhood - when the troubles that a relative was having with his young son came to light - the reaction from my JW family was - oh well, he might as well send him away to military camp - he's not one of us anyway. This is family - imagine how they feel about non family! Such well disguised disgust for the people of the world becomes erased when in the company of those you 'think' believe the same. ..JW's are quite sickening to be around sometime......sammieswife.

• flipper
    flipper

I've heard my youngest daughter, a jdub say she wants to wait for the "paradise" to have children. A lot of young people in that religion are told to put the kingdom first, use their youth to go out in the preaching work, and put Jehovah's interests first, before your own. They call it I think"making a sacrifice" for the kingdom. I can only count on many fingers the times I have personally heard of "parents" making "sacrifices" of their children, once they've had them, because they were too preoccupied with wanting to do the preaching work, instead of spending important time raising their kids to be stable, emotionally well grounded people. "latch key" witness kids whose parents, perhaps, possibly shouldn't have had kids if they weren't willing to spend more time raising them, than raising their own reputation in the congregations.Peace to all, Mr. Flipper

• Gordy
    Gordy

I was married July 1974

First child born October 1975

Then went on to have another 6

4 daughters, 3 sons

Last born June 1989

Only wife and two daughters still JW's.

Never counselled about having so many children.

• Mum
    Mum

To me it is not such a tragedy if JW's opt out of having children. The children in the borg suffer terribly. My daughter is very bitter about being brought up a JW. She hated not being able to participate in school events, not being allowed to go to friends' and classmates' birthday parties, having to listen to all of the other kids talk about what Santa brought them, and, most of all, being taken out in service with no say-so about it, and having to attend all of those mind-numbing meetings. Regards, SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit