Why do witnesses intentionally avoid having kids?

by NotaNess 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.
    I suppose at present the JW leaders want parents to have children because they are not increasing that much as a group and most of their new recruits are home grown. They need them to keep their numbers up.

It would not surprise me if they started actively encouraging this soon which will certainly set some alarm bells ringing for some JW's

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

They don't want anyone to know that they have sex.

(I'm only half-joking )

• Gill
    Gill

If they actively encouraged having children, I would not like to be a woman who had abandoned any chance of having children, only to find a flip flop policy has just smacked me in the face!

There could be some very angry JW women out there and some middle age JW men who may believe it is their duty to let go of their old, unfruitful wife and take up a young child bearing wife, to please Jehovah!

Could be interesting years again should it ever happen!

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

The spin would be armageddon is really close and with our new insight Jehovah has shown us we will need to do a lot of rebuilding work. We will not be made perfect immediately. Should we test Jehovah hoping He will do everything for us? Surely not! (insert some random scripture referencing hard work)

• kid-A
    kid-A

I've known more JW breeders than non-JW. Several JW couples in my hall had 4-5 children.

The fact that they are simply giving JW type excuses about their decision to remain child-free does not necessarily mean those are their real reasons. Most people (including myself) who decide not to have children base this decision on a variety of factors:

1) Not everyone likes children and can barely tolerate their behaviour.

2) Some of us prefer an adult lifestyle and having a disposable income for luxuries such as vacations and fineries.

3) Some of us have extremely demanding careers that exclude the possibility of child-rearing.

4) Some of us like the freedom to do whatever we want, whenever we want without having to worry about nannies, baby-sitters etc.

As for this woman being 60 and "regretting" not having any children. I have never known ANYBODY who regretted this decision, particularly since they usually have stellar careers and incredible accomplishments in their lives, things that would have been impossible with the burden of children.

The only thing I would regret would be the enormous opportunities and experiences I would have to sacrifice if I were to have children, including a diminished career and a near total-loss of freedom and quality of life.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Obviously many children are conceived with very little thought going into the process. LOL!

However, when one proactively procreates, it is a statement about loving life and humanity.

Believing in the future, with hopefulness.

That things are getting better.

That one knows one will die, but wishes to leave someone behind, thus living on in the hearts and minds of one's progeny.

All of such thinking is foreign and absurd to the average Witness.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My former spouse and I decided to wait for the 'new system'. To be honest, neither of us particularly liked children either, though my sister assured me she felt the same way until she had her own. Now her children and grandchildren are her pride and joy, and she looks forward to spoiling her grandkids regularly. Now I have no wife and no kids, and it's too late to start now. Both of my sisters are older than me, and their kids are busy with their own lives. Most likely I'll die alone one day. Being a fairly solitary person, I can deal with that, but things could have been so much different.

W

• moshe
    moshe
    and it's too late to start now.

I got remarried at age 50 in 2000- my wife was 45 . My kids were all grown.( They never became JW's) .

We decided to adopt an orphan from Russia and she was 3 years old when we brought her home. It could end up being the most positive thing I have ever done with my life. Even single men have decided to adopt older boys and become dads in their 40's and 50's. One couple was almost 60 when they adopted an 11 year old boy in Russia with us. The medical and background checks are extensive to weed out people who might harm these orphans, but a normal person has nothing to fear from the adoption process. State and local agencies can help match up local kids with new familes, too. PM for more information.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    It could end up being the most positive thing I have ever done with my life.

That's beautiful moshe!

I agree F-F, it's not too late, if that's what you really want.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    The only thing I would regret would be the enormous opportunities and experiences I would have to sacrifice if I were to have children, including a diminished career and a near total-loss of freedom and quality of life.

Damn, it's not that bad! LOL

It's sad when you watch friends adore your children and openly admit, almost complaining that they want children of their own, but are waiting for the new system that will never come into play.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit