Why do witnesses intentionally avoid having kids?

by NotaNess 33 Replies latest jw friends

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

1) Don't want to deal with it at meetings is what I think would be on the top of the list.They see what others have to go through.

2) I know a married couple JWs, that are avoiding having kids, and I've heard of reasons from them like...

"don't want to raise them up in this system"

"time is too short"

"I'll wait until the next system of things"

My heart hurts over this cause I truly enjoy them, and feel so sad that the wife will pass up and miss out on such a beautiful love of a child, only to look back when she's in her 60's and cry from regret she never had any, and this "system" hasn't ended yet. Her parents had multiple children, and I think how would she like it if her mother had decided to feel the same way??

I feel she would be a good mother...it's sad.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't know if JWs not having children is something local to your area but when I was a JW they used to have children more or less like everyone else in society. I don't think that nowadays the WTS is advising them not have children until teh new system. Those that do will end up dyng childless without ever seeing a paradise earth or new system as they call it.

Just as happened to dubs of the 1930's and 1940's when child bearing was officially discouraged.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Nothing unique, but my aunt and uncle - two very handsome, healthy people - really took to heart the mandate against having children, back in the 40's. They became COs, and around 1992, on his way alone to a meeting for FS - my uncle had either a heart attack or stroke or - ? but rolled his car and never regained consciousness. My aunt has been alone - at least 15 years. Sad - she should have had children.................

• Threestars
    Threestars

I am thinking of poor Ray Franz, and his wife, who did not have children, because of the WTS dictates. Now they have no one close to them...

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was born late in life...my parents changed their mind. =P

• blondie
    blondie
    I am thinking of poor Ray Franz, and his wife, who did not have children, because of the WTS dictates. Now they have no one close to them...

While they don't have biological children, they have children of the heart and spirit. There are people in their lives that they have helped, helping them to find the real life not the WTS life, as many others have done. Their friends and other family members who are not jws or are ex-jws, try to look after them. They have many people close to them. Having children is no guarantee that you will still have people close to you as some parents could attest to. Blondie (no children)

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I don't know if young JW still have that mind set. I wanted kids and told my hubby before we got married and thank goodness he aslo wanted children. Both my sister in laws also wanted children the one has two kiddies and the other has three. Some of my friends never had children but they didn't want any from teenage years their decision didn't have anything to do with the JW mind set. I know of a special pioneer who said she didn't want children in this system while she was single but changed her mind after she got married and had five children. She now no longer goes to the meetings! Too many kids to organise and get ready for weekly punishment meetings.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I suppose at present the JW leaders want parents to have children because they are not increasing that much as a group and most of their new recruits are home grown. They need them to keep their numbers up.

• Threestars
    Threestars

Their friends and other family members who are not jws or are ex-jws, try to look after them.

Thank you for telling me this. I feel better now.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

That would be sad, Notaness.
    Do *you* want kids?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit