Myrtle Beach South Carolina ?

by Junction-Guy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Anyone on here from the Grand Strand of South Carolina?

• Undecided
    Undecided

The last time I was there was about 33 years ago on my honeymoon. I usually go to NC beaches now.

Ken P.

• QUEEN_BITCH_JACQUELINE
    QUEEN_BITCH_JACQUELINE

I use to live in Greenville South Carolina. 
  • chappy
    chappy

I used to have a condo in Garden City untill 2005 but had to give it up due to my divorce. I live in Anderson now, but try to take a trip to the strand at least once a year.

chappy

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Chappy, I have some questions I will ask tomorrow about Myrtle Beach. I havent been there in 8 years. On my way to work now.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I have a couple of restaurant questions.

Is Southern Suppers and The Farmer's Daughter still in business?

Ok, this will be a real brain teaser, back in 1978 when I was a kid we were returning home from Myrtle Beach and stopped off at a restaurant that looked like a pirate ship. It may have been in Conway, Florence, or Columbia. All I remember is it was a ship and was docked in a small lake. They either had a salad bar or a buffet. This may have been located on one of the older routes to Myrtle Beach. Do you know the name of this restaurant and is it still in business? The last 3 times I have been to Myrtle Beach I never did see, nor have any clue which highway it is on.

Dave

• unique1
    unique1

I know what restaurant you are talking about dave and for the life of me can't think of the name. It is on the main drag going North away from North Myrtle. There is a small sign that says somethign like ____ Restaurant this way. We were going out of the city and were scared we would see no more restaurants for a while so we turned around and took that road. If you are going north the road will be on your left. That is all I can tell you, sorry.

Chucks Steakhouse, near all the seafood buffets in North Myrtle, has an excellent happy hour. Free cheese, popcorn and pretzels plus half priced appetizers and $2 big beers.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Spent a couple of days there on biz. a few years ago. Aside from the cheesy amusements and huge sweatshirt outlets (what's with that?) I remember they have a zillion golf courses.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Junction-Guy,

My JW brother and his family live in Myrtle Beach. Maybe you're thinking of The Red Parrot Ocean Bar & Grill, at the Breakers Resort, 2006 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. It's as you describe, like stepping aboard a pirate ship. The bar enters into the outdoors where most of the customers are in swimsuits.

In addition to what "unique1" mentioned, other restaurants that resemble a pirate ship are Drunken Jack's Restaurant & Lounge, 4031 Hwy 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, and Seafare Seafood Restaurant, 2000 Hwy 17 Business, Surfside Beach.

And yes, Southern Suppers and The Farmer's Daughter are still operating. Both have two locations.

Frank
    http://formerjw.homestead.com

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks for sharing the info.

Unique1--, the restaurant I remember is inland somewhere bewteen conaway and columbia. I believe the color of the ship was either green or red and it was in a small lake sitting dockside. But since this was 1978, it's more than likely not even there anymore. I will ask my mom and see if she remembers the name.

Someone at work said it could be "Thunderbirds" in Florence, but that doesnt sound very nautical to me.

It would either have been on hwy 378 or 501. We went several different ways as my aunt lived in Lake City, Conway and Pawleys Island. I also remember going the old road through Sumter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit