job loss

by BlackSwan of Memphis 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thank you Badwillie and Unique1 for the sites!!

I have spent a great deal of time on these sites and am finding that well, MI sucks and other states have a lot more to offer.

Brigid, actually yes, we're looking to get out of MI. The reason is mostly financial as here, if we let the house go (we are exploring what options we have as houses are literally being abandoned. As I'd mentioned to DS via email, top dollar homes are being left) if we stay, we will get very little for what we would be able to afford and likely have to relocate to an area we wouldn't want to be in anyhow.

So, we figure it we have to sacrifice, damn it we're going somewhere we Want to be. And MI just ain't doin' it for us.

You said:

R U thinking Texas for relo?

It is among the many possibilities. I think while we are keeping options open, we are looking to head SW. Hence, TX, NM, AZ are options for us. One friend sent me a message though, that WA state is excellent for job openings. My question though in that area is how is property value compared to other areas.

There is a lot to consider.

p.s. forgive me if I missed this (dont' have time to read all) but do you guys just wnat out of MI? Are you even pursuing transferring with hubby's job?

Curious and want to help. Need more input.

Well, we discussed this. At this point, he wants to pursue other avenues. I think that the years of dealing with union crap has finally wore him out.
    We have a business, internet store type thing we have been slowly pecking away at. Our web guy is moving to NC in September, so right now our deadline is by the end of August to have this thing up and running.

We are HOPING beyond all hope that this business will bring in $$. We have a good idea, we have some decent leads and we KNOW there is a market for what we are doing.

What we will have going for us is two things:

a) Drive :-)

b) The time to put into it.

The good thing that has come up is the union is working to get guys like my husband something of a severance package which will buy us a little time. Still waiting to see though.

I really appreciate everyones help on this.

This does suck and it's nerve wracking with two kids to think of. If it were just us two, it would be easier. Less to lose.

• NanaR
    NanaR

Blue,

My husband had worked for the same company for 17 years when the plant he worked in was shut down in 1995. Those were very stressful times for us.

A local resource in my area is http://regionalhelpwanted.com/home/118.htm?SN=118&

There is a Toyota plant at Georgetown, KY and an engine plant that serves Toyota in Buffalo, West Virginia.

The cost of living in my area (eastern Kentucky) is very reasonable. Other parts of the state, such as Lexington and Louisville, have higher costs for housing, etc.

I am also sending you a pm :-)

Ruth

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hey there Nana, thank you! I look forward to your pm.

I want to add:

Whilst we are working on this business, I am hoping that where we end up, I will be able to pick up work myself.

Between what we hope to earn on the business AND what we can find where we end up, the idea is that the combined income will work.

• Brigid
    Brigid

babygirl, hang in there. Nothing easy is on the road ahead but there is something so freeing about picking up and relocating. I have lived in NM myself. Very very very low cost of living. A lot of resources for the schooling situation you mentioned to DS.

HOWEVER....nothing like Texas. We have a steady economy. Always. Dallas keeps business going. We don't have the booms of other states but neither do we experience the bottom-outs. Texas is friendly and welcoming. Daystar and I are here to go out with ; ) Texas has no state income tax. Fairly low cost of living compared to quality of living. We do have high property taxes if you're thinking of purchasing upon your relocation. You would have to be careful with school systems (you might run into the same situation you have with the MI conundrum). But the good schools are VERY good and help property values. The bad school systems can trap you into dropping home values from which there is little escape. Schools drive a lot of the housing market here.

Colorado is beautiful as is AZ. CO is cold (which you are used to), and AZ is hot. CO is beautiful and its economy is recovering and when it booms, it BOOMS! and is one of the funnest places on earth to live (except for my beloved TX, of course : )

Love and Light to you on this leg of your journey,

~Brigid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit