job loss

by BlackSwan of Memphis 23 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

As of August 1, Mr.Blackswan will join the ranks of the thousands of unemployed Michiganders.

They are shipping his job, along with the rest of production to Grand Rapids, MI. Which is 2 hours away.

My response was tears. Fear is a big problem.

Michigan is just NOT the place for jobs right now.

So, we are planning on having to look out of state. Even if are both working full time, it is doubtful that we could afford the style of living we have.

And before anyone jumps on me and says well adjust that, where MI is at economically speaking right now, adjusting your style of living at this point puts us in an area that I refuse to send my kids to school.

For what we pay in our mortgage right now, we could get a virtual mansion in many other states. Ya don't get a lot for your money around here.

SO !!!!!!

Yes you can help:

I need the names of newspapers from across the USA where I can search want ads. It's one thing for me to find A newspaper for say, Florida, but not realize it is not the best source for want ads. I.e. the newspaper my husband currently works at, has had a reputation for being the place where you go to for want ads. Where as the Detroit News, doesn't.

I would REALLY appreciate this guys. I am sort of freakin out. Trying to stay cool. Yes we are still working on our business that we are trying to get up. Yet, I don't want to put all our eggs in that basket.

Whew. What a day.

thanks

"blue" Swan

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

use careerbuilder.com then you can search by job and location. they partner with a lot of newspapers. what kind of work does he do? there are specialty sites for more specialized trades.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yikes! i'd be in tears too. i'm sorry your family is going thru this right now.

here is a data base of newspapers across the usa with websites . i hope it helps

http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    use careerbuilder.com then you can search by job and location. they partner with a lot of newspapers. what kind of work does he do? there are specialty sites for more specialized trades.

Thank you for this! Going there now. He is in production, considered a "mailer" at a local newspaper.

yikes! i'd be in tears too. i'm sorry your family is going thru this right now.

here is a data base of newspapers across the usa with websites . i hope it helps

http://www.refdesk.com/paper.html

Thank you so much Candidly. I really appreciate these links. I know a family right now who has been on unemployment for several months, their credit cards are maxed out and basically they're in deep for awhile. Just employment here is really bad.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Can't he transfer his position to Grand Rapids? What is his job title? Is he factory or white collar?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Ok looks like you already answered that.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Junction Guy, likely no transferring. I was on Gannett.com but they haven't updated their list since Feb so far that I can tell.

Back then there was an opening in UT. So, we're going to go ahead and give that a try.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

hi blackswan

sorry to hear about the job loss. it can be scary. i was under/unemployed for over a year. still digging out from credit card debts from that.

if you are moving out of state, you might try the st.louis MO area. jobs are more plentiful and pay better on the MO side of the river, but the real estate is better on the IL side. If you have kids, dont move into St Louis City....school just got deacredited....state take over....lots of good schools in IL.

http://www.stltoday.com/jobs ...this is a national database but is sponsored by the st. louis newspaper

keep us posted on how things are. take care

SnakesInTheTower (of the "thankful for what he has" Sheep Class)

• DJK
    DJK

I dont know how well updated web sites are. One that I heard of was craigslist.com...Never been to that site myself.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Sorry to hear that Black Swan losing a job is one of the most stressful experiences in life but if you look out you are bound to find something else soon. That's why I am self employed there is no boss and I work as much or as little as I want it's great not to depend on anyone for work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit