Talked to an OLD Friend last night

by RichieRich 18 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

So, when I was little, there was this guy I used to hang around with. He was like an older brother to me. In fact, 8 years my senior, he might as well have been.

His mom and my mom were best friends. And my father and his father were best friends (despite both not being Witnesses). And we were close. Looking back now, there's no reason why he should have enjoyed my company with such an age difference between us- I'm sure I was a burden- but he at least faked it well.

Well, he graduated high school. And in high school, he had taken quite a liking to the German language. So fresh out of high school, instead of heading to college, he went and regular pioneered in Germany for a year.

When he got back, he was different- but no one talked about it.

Then when he was 20, and I was 12, he was disfellowshipped. It came out of nowhere, and shocked everyone.

Fast forward 5 years. Having posted here for a while, I let the lingering thoughts of my old buddy drive for me to search for him online. I found him on facebook, and I sent him a message.

Mostly it was just to say hey, and I that I missed him, and that I no longer had reason to shun him.

He never responded.

So last night, as I cruised the internet (I went to the beach this weekend and got burnt as a mother, and further, I have a hybrid bird flu / SARS thing happening from some late night clothing optional ocean swimming- so I took a couple of extra days off) I stumbled across him on Facebook again. His facebook also contained his instant messanger screen name, and I saw that he was online- so I sent him a message.

And he responded.

He was happy to hear from me, we briefly caught up on the past 8 years or so, my situation, his situation- and then we started talking. Dropping the names of old friends, talking about the congregation dynamic in the hall we both grew up in versus other congregations. It drug up a lot of old memories. Good memories. One brother's lemon pies and long winded jokes in the parking lot after service. Another sister and the candy she used to hand out after the meeting. We took a walk together down the road through our childhood, and it felt good. Granted, we never got a Christmas morning, or a birthday dinner, but we got something decent, and we both agreed to hold on to it.

Since it was about 3 am when we both quit talking, we swore to no longer be strangers, and to not let time seperate us like God's love had.

And as I closed that little window, I was sitting in the hall again. With my mom beside me, and his mom beside him, all of us listening to Bro. Tooks call down doom and gloom from the platform as Sister Limer sat in front of us and nodded her head. It wasn't the best childhood, but it was mine.

And there's no redeals in life.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I really enjoyed that experience Rich.

It reminded me of my best friend in high school. We still have contact, and if I ever needed to contact any of our mutual friends, I could do it by asking him for their info.

Warlock

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Rich, has anyone ever told you that you have a wonderful way with words? You pulled me back into the hall, felt like I was sitting there with my parents. wow

Josie

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

I think Richie needs to pursue a career in writing---he has an amazing way with words-and what a touching story!!!

Thanks for sharing...LIG

• deeskis
    deeskis

That's really nice for you RR, hold on to those good feelings..............even if they make you a little sad.

I went to the beach this weekend and got burnt as a mother, and further, I have a hybrid bird flu / SARS thing happening from some late night clothing optional ocean swimming- so I took a couple of extra days off

hope you're feeling better soon

• dawg
    dawg

You're a great writer Richie, true that on redials.... but I do often wonder what I could've accomplished had I not started college until I was 35 instead of 20 like most folks do. I would have my PHD by now. Sometimes I get so damn mad that I was manipulated so badly. Why/how did I let myself fall for 28years for this stupid ignorant cult? Oh well, might as well dust off and get on with it.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

got me choked up a little bit. thanks, the story helped reframe some things for me.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Dear Richie , I really enjoyed your post . I think it is healthy to be able to look back and realize it wasn't all bad . Glad you found this old friend .

Life is an interesting journey isn't it ?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It wasn't the best childhood, but it was mine.

It's true - it wasn't all bad - I like your writing style and think you ought to do short stories.

• Nulite
    Nulite

Good memories happen and that's a good thing. Some days out in service near the river and in the country was so pleasant. We had some really cool guys back then. Many of them understood the deal and left soon after turning 18.

Nulite

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit