Atheists for Jehovah

by slimboyfat 41 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There are hundreds or thousands of websites on Jehovah's Witnesses with all sorts of slants, but I have never come across any specifically for atheist Jehovah's Witnesses. I wonder why that is? Has anyone ever seen a site for atheist Witnesses? I think it would be a great idea, and we could call it Atheists for Jehovah, as a counterpart to the Atheists for Jesus.

So what would be the underlying principles? We would be active/semi-active Witnesses who no longer believe in God, but who still feel an affinity to the values of the Jehovah figure of the Bible but without dogmatism. Necessarily a clandestine group, we would aim to promote positive aspects of our spiritual heritage while seeking to mitigate potentially harmful aspects of current Witness practices.

Am I the only atheist for Jehovah?

Slim

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No, you probably arent the only Atheist JW around. Why would you even want to be a JW if you are an atheist? If there is no God, no eternal punishment (hell or armageddon) then why be involved with such a high control group?

• monophonic
    monophonic

before i dissolved the music project i was a part of, i was going to do a cd of experimental noise called 'christians for communism', complete w/ t-shirts and everything. i'm still planning on using the concept in another venue....and the t-shirts definitely need to be made.

• Scully
    Scully

As an atheist / secular humanist, the last caricature I would feel any affinity toward is that spoiled, ill-tempered, sadistic, bloodthirsty, piss poor excuse for a god named Jehovah.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Also I do realize there is a small group of Atheists for Jesus, but they recognize Jesus as a historical figure and not God nor the son of God. But they do believe he existed on earth, they might even agree with many of his teachings, but they dont believe in any form that he is "God" or "a god".

How does an Atheist JW explain the nature of Jehovah?

Why in the world would anyone want anything to do with such a destructive Cult, especially someone that doesnt even believe in God in the first place?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Well, although I'm an atheist I still try to live up to many of the standards I had as a jw, and though I never read the bible now I know there are some sound principles contained in it.

It's the active/semi active jw part I couldn't do - I never want to be in a kingdom hall again, and being disassociated would make it kind of difficult to become a jw again anyway.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Many of the standards that JW's have are not unique to their religion. Many religions of christendom preach against divorce, adultery, fornication. Without all the other BS that the JW cult includes.

If I were an atheist, JW's would be dead last on my list of religions I would join. If I were an atheist since birth, I would have left that religion in the dust when I was a child, and prepared for a life and a career.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Atheists for Jesus claim that the God of the Old Testament is mean, but that Jesus was likable and had principles atheists can subscribe to.

But I say Jehovah gets a bad wrap. Jesus stole all his best lines: "Love your neighbour as yourself". Plus Jesus hada drachonian view of friendship to say the least: "You are my friends if you obey my commandments". Would you be friends with someone on that condition?

Jehovah was way more cool. He had funny conversations with his friends (see Abraham on the stars) and played practical jokes (see Jonah).

Atheists for Jesus believe they perform a somewhat important function of showing people of faith that atheists can choose to adhere to similar principles without the dogma.

If atheists need to demonstrate that principle to Christians, how much more so are Jehovah's Witnesses in need of having it demonstrated that you don't need to believe all the obscure beliefs the Soceity teaches in order to live a good life.

Reclaim Jehovah for masses!

Can you feel the momentum building here?

Slim

• DeusMauzzim
    DeusMauzzim

Great topic Slim,

As for me, I'm a 'Gnostic Atheist against Jehovah'

I'm an atheist because I'm pretty sure Jehovah, or any other god, doesn't exist (not even on Alcyone).

I am a gnostic because all the same I like to batter Jehovah/Yaldabaoth for the absurd mess he has made of this world (even while not existing!).

There is however the Plethora, the Fullness. There dwells the Father of Lights, and thereto our divine spark must return.

Of course, this is not to be taken literally. The Kingdom lies within you (Gospel of Thomas).

Are you confused now? :)

DeusMauzzim

(of the Gnostic Atheists against Jehovah class)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm with Deus and Scully on this one.

BTW, if that's your real age DeusMauzzim, you must frustrate the hell out of your parents!

You're a smart young man.

How about throwing a little more poetry our way?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit