For those who didn't go to uni....

by brinjen 20 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

Especially those who didn't go on account of the borg (the vast majority).

Do you regret this decision?

If you did go what would you have studied?

What would you study if you went today?

• DJK
    DJK

I didn't go and that wasn't my decision. It was dads first. Then I married and had children too young.

I went to college part time for two years for engineering when I was 40. This past March I started back again for writing courses. No set goal for a carrer, I just enjoy it.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I found out in the last years of my mom's life, she told me that my dad wanted me to go to college. He was not a JW, but my mom was heavily influenced by the Borg and so she got her way, and I didn't go. I don't know what I would have studied because even back then, I didn't know what I wanted to study anyway.

Now I don't think I would go.....I went to massage school two yrs. ago and that has put me on a different track. I was exposed to energy work and I would like to explore that further.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Good posts...

For me, I do regret not pursuing education further. I left high school at age 15 (went back after I left the borg and finished). I'm currently looking into a couple of night classes on photoshop and premiere as multimedia is my passion. I would love to turn this into a career. Even considering if there is a way I can study for bachelor of multimedia (if I can afford it).

• return visitor
    return visitor

I didn't go because at the time I hated school. Not raised in the "truth" my parents we're very into higher education but could not convince me of the need. I regret it now. Even as an active witness I encouraged my chhildren to go. Now that I'm fading I'm still encouraging my children to go. I have one child starting in the fall. YAHOO!!!!

RV

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I didn't go, and yes it was because of the borg. I did attend tech school in the mid-90's for business. What I regret more than anything is missing out on the college experience, the dorms, the parties,etc. I have no idea what I would've studied, because as a child I never thought in those terms, never set those kinds of goals for myself. I was supposed to pursue a career in the theocratic ministry. I suppose I was always interested in writing, especially creative writing, even though it served no purpose in the organization.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Especially those who didn't go on account of the borg (the vast majority).

Do you regret this decision?

If you did go what would you have studied?

What would you study if you went today?

You are coming up with some great threads Brinjen! And interestingly worded to stimulate the thinking juices. I left home at 16 as soon as I legally could with a helping kick from my parents - I tried to study at college and copy with the grief and trauma of losing my family and work but it was all too much. You dont earn much at 16 and I had to take all the overtime I could at the supermarket to be able to pay my rent. However over the years since my keeness to study and love of all things academic has led me to do some night school and get a couple of a-levels. Back then I would have studied English Lit and probably become a teacher. Now I am at uni, struggling to work to make ends meet and balance a social life alongside. But I am much better able to do these without grief weighing me down. I am studying Criminology and Psychology for my degree and hope that maybe in the future I can work with the police or possibly in prisons as a young offenders counsellor.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I would have loved to have gone. It certainly would have cost me a lot less then if I'd attended with the scholarships and grants I'd have been eligible for. I wanted to go desperately but I knew better than to even think about it. I'm 36, nearly 37 now and have almost finished my first year. My current major is in the Humanities (focus on Sociology with a lesser emphasis on English Lit) and I hope one day to teach at the university level, but for me its less about what I'll do with it as much as it is for the love of learning. As I told an old dub friend who wrote me because she was "worried about me" for the first time in my life I feel like I'm where I belong, where I always should have been and I'm happier than I've ever been. She wrote back that if "being happy was what really mattered to me, than I was doing well." I wrote back that I was glad she understood. SNICKER. Dubs don't have a flipping clue about what life really is, they're so brainwashed, of course that's no surprise to any of us here.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I didn't go to college... well... I started a two-year college, but didn't get too far into that.

My mom - bless her jw-influenced heart... insisted that I sign up for college, when I wasn't getting any employment as a youngster - fresh out of high school. (Actually, it was the JW-isms of 'I'll quit if I cannot go to a district assembly' that got me unemployed after about 8 months of work.)

Anyway, I have taken several college courses (at the two-year college) that have been fun... I've never really gotten too serious about getting the 2-year degree.

Someone wise once told me... "As long as you were living at home, you could blame your mom for not allowing you to go to college. Since you are out on your own, you can only blame yourself." No truer words were ever spoken. I don't blame my mom now, I blame myself - and my laziness for not getting a college degree of some sort.

As long as I am living, I still have the opportunity to go back and get a degree... as does everyone.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. great topic for discussion.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

If I were to go to college today, I'd probably do what I would have done in high school - wallow in theatre, the arts and the humanities. Would have had a high old time. In high school I lived in Berkeley; would have tried to get into the University of California there. I hear that's extremely difficult now; don't know if it was back then, thirty years ago.

I can't actually say I regret not going to college – but I do regret never making a serious attempt to master math and science, which I might have been able to do in high school if I'd known how to ask for help.

I'd love to have the leisure to go to college. Maybe when my business takes off and I get to quit my day job, I'll go back and pick up a few courses. Just because I like to know stuff.

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit