For those who didn't go to uni....

by brinjen 20 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

Both my parents were devout JW's. My dad had a degree and was a licensed Professional Engineer and head of a lab at a major manufacturing corp. My parents wanted me to go to college - they knew I couldn't make it in the trades or physical occupations. But, I listened to the Watchtower. I graduated in 1963. I had the draft breathing down my back. I probably would have gone to college if I wouldn't have a prison sentence waiting as soon as I would graduate from college. Upon graduating from college you lost your student exemption from the military. If I thought alternative service would be allowed I probably would have gone to college.

I pioneered for three years. In 1966 I went to the assembly in Toronto determined to examine my heart with a view to getting off the pioneer list and attending college. That was the assembly that started us down the 1975 trail. I decided to keep pioneering.

I have two kids in college - one completing their Masters another one is completing their final year to be a teacher.

Life would have been a lot richer, secure and interesting if I had gone to college. I was born one month before the end of WWII. My generation was extremely blessed. The road in front of us was wide open. Plenty of space in college, work-place, home buying. We were buoyed up by the huge swell of baby-boomers immedeiately behind us. I would have had a lot of lucky breaks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit