I told my parents I no longer believe the Watchtower Society

by B_Deserter 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Atlantis, Thanks, but my mom will dismiss it as an Apostate forgery unless she actually sees an original copy.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

What would happen if you challenged your mother to prove that something was an "apostate forgery"?

You could tell her that her New World Translation is a "forgery." Ask her to show you the original "books of Adam." Idiots!

Not long ago, one of the posters here (goingGoingGone) told about a conversation someone had with a fellow at Bethel

This person asked, "Don't you people believe that Armageddon is coming soon? What's all the building for, if you really believe that?"

The Bethelite answered that the Society lived as if the end were coming tomorrow, and planned as if it were never coming.

"WHY SHOULDN'T I DO THE SAME?" is the question each JW should ask themselves.

Of course, if you realize that Armageddon is NEVER coming, your plans might change substantially.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm proud of you for being sensitive to your parent's freak-out. You recognized it for what it is, and temporarily spared them more pain. I think this confession was good for them, though. They won't be as shocked later when you walk away from the meetings.

I also like your idea of building your social network before you completely cut the ties. Also wise.

• Regretful_J
    Regretful_J

This is a strange coincidence, I just had this discussion with my parents as well about me no longer believing/trusting the Watchtower society and governing body. We had a 5 hour "debate" about it but it didn't really solve anything. It pretty much ended with me saying I don't feel like its "the truth" anymore and they told me that I have to go to 1 meeting a week as a condition to live in their house and since I can't afford to live on my own yet, I have to tolerate the BS that gets talked about 2 hours a week. They really engage in Mind/thought control here and I don't know how many can deal with it.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I can't imagine how awful it must be for you. I don't know how old you are (if you're still with the parents I imagine you're late teens/early 20's), but it takes an extreme amount of courage to tell your parents you disagree with their way of life and go on to continue living with them.

• gumby
    gumby

*packs his suitcase full of jeans, shorts, and t-shirts*

Holy Jesus H Christ! I didn't know that article was in the KM about how to dress after convention hours.

I seriously cannot wait too see how this transpires while I watch in my Jeans and t-shirt attire. I can't imagine anyone saying anything to me about this and if they do the shit will hit the fan.

Gumby

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumby said: I seriously cannot wait too see how this transpires while I watch in my Jeans and t-shirt attire. I can't imagine anyone saying anything to me about this and if they do the shit will hit the fan.

Now now Brother Gumby. Instead of displaying your rebellious, 'postate attitude, why don't you just wear what you had on when you got reinstated?

gumbersatAssembly.jpg

• Kudra
    Kudra

Mary--!!

That's the Yuba City assembly hall!!! How'd you get that picture???

ugh. they still have those CREEPY pictures of those children with the HUGE EYES. I hate those. I guess some "Brother" or "sister" who is an "artist" painted them...

Carpet is still tasteful I see.

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

I got baptized there...

:D

• brinjen
    brinjen

Not long ago, one of the posters here (goingGoingGone) told about a conversation someone had with a fellow at Bethel

This person asked, "Don't you people believe that Armageddon is coming soon? What's all the building for, if you really believe that?"

The Bethelite answered that the Society lived as if the end were coming tomorrow, and planned as if it were never coming.

Now that's a good point.... kinda sums it all up really.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit