I told my parents I no longer believe the Watchtower Society

by B_Deserter 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

They insisted I come over for a debate, a chance for them to save me since according to my mother this was "a matter of life and death." Basically I spent the whole evening passively nodding my head and acknowledging what they said. I tried a few times to argue or debate but getting through to them was impossible.

The funny thing is that I told my mom about the no t-shirt/jeans thing at the convention this year and she wouldn't believe me. They didn't have an April KM handy for me to show them. I'm going to go this year because I'm curious how many people are going to obey this. Anyway, I went home and left them with the impression I was going to study some more. I did. This time was different though. For the first time in my life I saw the literature through the eyes of someone "in the world," and I couldn't help but laugh. The literature is full of faulty logic.

I've decided that I'm probably going to do the fade, very gradually. I'll keep up appearances at the hall just enough to satisfy my family, but I'm no longer going to live by their rules. I will read and study what I want to study. The funny thing about the Society is that I don't think they really care if you believe it or not, just as long as you keep your dissenting views to yourself.

If I do eventually make a clean break, I think at this point it's far too premature. An entire lifetime in the group has landed me zero friends outside. I have some family, but they are quite religious and since I am not they may not receive me too well. What I have to do is start forming friendships with a more diverse crowd outside the witness, then, when I have a good enough base, break away officially. Of course, at this point I'll probably be ignored by pretty much all of the witnesses anyway so I probably won't even need to do that.

Anyway, I feel better that my parents are satisfied that they at least tried.

• dawg
    dawg

Hard to know what to do isn't it? Good luck.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

B -

Sounds like a very logical approach. We've got your back here at JWD.

• juni
    juni

Welcome B_Deserter to the forum.

Looks like in a week you'll be 25 ! It's good that you are examining your religion and are preparing a plan and not making hasty decisions. You will succeed!!

I wish you the best~~

Juni

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi BD. Best wishes on your fade. Sounds like you have a plan in mind.

I have some family, but they are quite religious and since I am not they may not receive me too well.

Dp you know if any of that family feel the same distrust of the JW's as you do? If there's one or two you could confide in, they might welcome you and help you land on your feet. My sister was an ex-JW, and attends church regularly. But she didn't push her church on me at all, she was just happy I was leaving the JW's in the rear-view mirror. Maybe somebody like that is in your family.

What I have to do is start forming friendships with a more diverse crowd outside the witness, then, when I have a good enough base, break away officially.

Don't you know everyone outside da troof is evil? LOL . Maybe you'll find common ground with co-workers, or volunteer or join a club. There are lots of normal people willing to be friends and let you be yourself. Good luck.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I started studying when I was 21 and I couldn't understand why no one else could see what was so obviously to me "The Truth". I actually left the organization for 11 years but still believed it. I went back 6 years ago and the scales have been falling off of my eyes a little at a time.

Now I can't believe what should have been obvious the first time I was told not to read outside the org. literature. NOT "The Truth". Truth can stand up to thorough investigating and remain true. Lies cannot.

Don't back down, keep thinking for yourself. You are about half my age.What I wouldn't give for the last 25 years of my life back. SIGH...

• ninja
    ninja

awake and watching....there are still people in there who have given every minute of their lives to the cult of cults.....onwards and upwards....glad you got out my friend......da ninja

• RubyParker
    RubyParker

Hello B_Deserter,
    Please contact me if you feel so inclined. I would like to talk to you more about your "fade out" strategy, which I know a lot of Witnesses choose. Please refer to my recent thread. My mother said the same thing to me when I left - "life or death".
    Ruby

• changeling
    changeling

Here's to a successfull fade! May you discover and reasure all the wonderful things life has to offer.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Kingdom Ministry-2007-April-p.4/par.5/ (Follow The Christ by Manifesting Dignity)

Just in case!

Nevada-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit