What is/was the last most believable date for second coming/Armageddon?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• heathen
    heathen
    Armageddon happended in 1975. The reason you didn't see it is becuase of your lack of faith. Only true faith can render the invisible visible. :)

WTF ? You are kidding , right? I for one believe the invisible spiritual war known as armageddon did begin early in the 20th century but as to when the great day of God almighty starts , nobody can say . I believe it's shortly after the last of the remnant are killed by the axe ,as mentioned in Revelation. The WTBTS has alot of screwed up dogma in connection with that .

• minimus
    minimus

Because of "reliable Bible chronology", 1975 looked right. With all those charts and "proofs", 1975 seemed possible.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

There is no proof of any dates set armegeddon. It depends on what you call the end of the systems of things? That not armegeddon

I never believed they set armageddon dates!

Nor did they claim the Fall of Jerusalem was 607

Besides it was close enough I do not think that 587 was correct either.

And what about the other religions? Did they set dates? Did they kill people Jehovah's Witnesses never killed anyone!

• Gopher
    Gopher
    There is no proof of any dates set armegeddon.

If you research this carefully, you will see that the Watchtower Society has been trying to set the date of Armageddon ever since the days of its founder, C.T. Russell, who preached it would be 1914. Then when that didn't happen, they changed the interpretation / understanding of 1914, and pushed their Armageddon expectations ahead in time.

t depends on what you call the end of the systems of things? That not armegeddon

I'm unclear about what you mean here. I was always taught by JW's that the end of the system is the SAME as Armageddon.

Nor did they claim the Fall of Jerusalem was 607

You are mistaken about this. They base their 1914 date (for the "end of the Gentile Times") on the 607 B.C.E. date.

Besides it was close enough I do not think that 587 was correct either.

Every scholar and historian agrees on the 587/586 BCE time frame for the fall of Jerusalem. It was in the 18th year of King Nebuchadnezzar, who began reiging 18 years earlier (in 605 BCE). You can check any encylopedia for the dates of the Kings of Babylon, including online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Babylon .

And what about the other religions? Did they set dates?

Not the mainstream religions. Just the ones influenced by William Miller and Adventism.

Did they kill people

Religions didn't kill people, but their members sure have. And sometimes, it's been justified. Would American religions like JW's be free if the military hadn't defended them during WW2 instead of letting the Nazis just march all over Europe and eventually here?

Jehovah's Witnesses never killed anyone!

Maybe the adherents haven't but the religion has. The prohibition of blood transfusion has killed thousands, including the innocent dead children whose faces were shown on an Awake magazine cover back in the 1990's. Also the cruel disfellowshipping policy has led to serious cases of depression and suicide, a direct result of the control the religion seeks to establish over its members by denying basic human companionship to ex-members.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The end will come before 2040. I was born in 1940. I must watch out for those buses, or the End will come even sooner.

As far as I know, the term "Second Coming" is not an expression used in Scripture.

Doug

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

The year that the heat death of the universe occurs?

• blondie
    blondie

2014--100 years after 1914.

2034--120 years after 1914 (see Genesis)

2035--1935 plus 70 years

2070--2,000 years after destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE

The WTS can twist the scriptures to say what they want: WESAYSO Corporation

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jehovah's Witnesses never killed anyone! My comments: That does not mean they don't WANT to! Watchtower-1955-July-15-p.436

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

(Credit goes to jwfiles.com)

http://www.jwfiles.com/2034.htm

Is the Watchtower Predicting The
    End By 2034 Through Subtle Hints?
    The Watchtower, December 15, 2003, Pages 14 - 19

Please be patient while the web page loads page scans of the Watchtower article

Noah preached 120 years until the time of the flood, which was the time of the end to Noah and his generation . The December 15, 2003 Watchtower article is paralleling Noah's day to our present day. The Society is adding a 120 years to the 1914 date to come up with the hinted date of 2034.

Words such as "Similar, Similarly, Similarity, Similarities, Parallel, Corresponds, Characteristic, Compare, Arklike and more are all through the article to back up their subtle and hinted claims.

Page 15, Paragraph 6 "In Noah's day, Jehovah declared: 'My spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years.' (Genesis 6:3) The issuance of this divine decree in 2490 B.C.E. marked the beginning of the end for that ungodly world. Just think what that meant for those then living! Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring 'the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force of life is active from under the heavens.' - Genesis 6:17"

Page 15, Paragraph 7 "Noah received the warning of the upcoming catastrophe decades in advance and he wisely used the time to prepare for survival.' After being given divine warning of things not yet beheld,' says the apostle Paul, '[Noah] showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household.' (Hebrews 11:7) What about us? Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914. We are certainly in 'the time of the end.' (Daniel 12:4) How should we respond to warnings we have been given? 'He that does the will of God remains forever,' states the Bible. (1 John 2:17) Now is therefore the time to do Jehovah's will with a keen sense of urgency."

Page 15, Paragraph 9 "Jehovah has kept these warnings in front of his people by means of timely reminders through the spiritual food provided by 'the faithful and discreet slave'"....

Yellow Highlighting is Ours

The blue underling in the article is of importance.
    The red underlining is of utmost importance!

Nevada-
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Within the context of the NT, only a date in the first century AD would fit the statements in Matthew and Revelation, the former expecting the parousia after a short apparent "delay" after the events of AD 70 but within the lifetime of those who saw Jesus (10:23, 16:38, 24:34; cf. Mark 9:1, 13:30, 14:62), and the latter expecting the Beast (who at the same time was an earlier king, i.e. Nero revived) as the final emperor of Rome, who will reign after the next emperor who himself will reign only for a "short while" (17:9-11; cf. 1:7).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit