How deep the brainwashing goes

by MadTiger 13 Replies latest jw friends

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

My disfellowshipped buddy (his second time) is going through a rough spot. He is on his way to his second divorce, he is facing multiple felony counts and one misdemeanor stemming from his chemical imbalance-and-asshole attitude-influenced rage. He's on disability at 29 years old, but the payments can't cover his mortgage and other bills since his wife left with the children, one of which is not his, since she cheated on him during the previous separation. His court date is coming in about 3 weeks, where they will offer him a deal.

Anyway, he is more into studying and praying now than ever before (see above!), and when I e-mailed him the case numbers to the sixteen (16) child abuse cases that were settled, he called it "apostate literature."

Oh, my fucking God.

He is in such denial.

He has done a lot of court record/public record/investigative searching in the past three months (see above!), so it's not that he doesn't how to find the stuff, but it's what he knows he will find. Proof about the Truth about the truth.

We aren't dealing with the high school educated janitor, either. He is an extremely skilled machinist, etc., with a borderline genius IQ.

I told him he is in denial.

Ay ay ay.

• fifi40
    fifi40

Hi Mad Tiger

I would say the reason he is in denial about the JWs at the moment is because it is the only vestige of 'normality' he has left currently. You could say the only anchor he has got is his 'belief system' as everything else around him is in complete turmoil. It will take time for him to sort all this out and as a true friend you should be there for him and support him as best you can. It may be too soon and too painful for him to accept that what he believes is a bunch of cadswallop!

Be patient with him and let him know you are there for him

Fi

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It's a gut reaction not a logical one, it doesn't surprise me.

• dawg
    dawg

ask him to define "apostate", then read him the definition... all it means is someone that changes an orginal dogma...then tell him that Jesus was an apostate by definition.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Did I say his wife is an ex-stripper, ex-drug addict, ex child abuse sufferer?

Whew!

Dawg --

He just e-mailed me the apostate definition! I will use your suggestion immediately.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm kinda curious what his definition of an apostate would be.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Mad Tiger I hear you and relate especially to the; he is facing multiple felony counts and one misdemeanor stemming from his chemical imbalance-and-asshole attitude-influenced rage.

I know my chemicals have always been unbalanced from the negativity of the troof. And I put my fist thru a few walls fortunately I knew not to hit anybody or didnt get caught hitting anyone.

You say he is more into studying and praying, when I was in my 30's and 40's I did a lot of studying and praying, but it wasnt watertower literature. I think the studying and praying is a coping mechanism. I realized the studying and praying the JW way didnt make sense by 83. Then I spent another 20 years studing and praying the bible way, It took me 20 years to figure out that I was talking to myself. Did you ever see the movie Artificial Intellingence AI with Jude Law and the robots down under the water relentlessly praying to his god for eternity? With no answer.

I was a machinist for 27 years. Intelligent people might be able to accurately crunch and process reliable data. But their is a saying garbage in garbage out. The brain and life is a complicated thing. Sometimes those who have street smarts read the lay of the land before those who can quote the square root of pi. And then there are personality traits, niavtivity and gullability being in denial and not realizing the people with smiles on their faces are doing a number on your life.

Some people cling to the troof, and maybe even moreso the intelligent ones, because they are terrified of the posible reality of entering the empty void, of nothingness and meaningless that is outside of the kingdom halls walls. They figured out we didnt evolve couldnt evolve. But who and where in the hell is God. And please save me from his followers. And not to knock the super intelligent and those of extreme faith who believe in macro evolution. I dont have that much faith and I'm not that smart but I can tell you pi is 3.1416...

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

He sent me the definition from, you guessed it, the Society's information.

I sent him Dawg's illustration.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

UPDATE:

He didn't have any comeback for Dawg's illustration.

I shared the UN document with him to further illustrate the organization's past dealings.

I left it with reaffirming our 13+ year friendship, and he will have to decide how he wants to eat the truth about the Truth.

• juni
    juni

You are right MadTiger.

People have to be willing to take the blinders off. Just like an addict.

Juni

Edited to add this: Perhaps the reason he's fighting the facts is because being in the predicament he is in, he doesn't want to ignore his indoctrinated belief about Jehovah. It would be another loss for him. He's probably hanging on by his finger nails right now.

Perhaps he needs more "honey"? Catch more flies that way..... just a thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit