God is not Great

by hamsterbait 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

No, it isn't solely anti-Islam.

He is also anti-Roman Catholic, anti-Judaism, anti-Orthodox Christianity, anti-JW, anti-Aztec belief system, anti-Hindu, anti-Buddhist, etc, etc.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

No, it isn't solely anti-Islam.

He is also anti-Roman Catholic, anti-Judaism, anti-Orthodox Christianity, anti-JW, anti-Aztec belief system, anti-Hindu, anti-Buddhist, etc, etc.

Sweet. I should check it out then.

• jschwehm
  • hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I am getting this book - ASAP!

HB

• Sirona
    Sirona

Sounds like a great book. If I see it at the bookshop, I will buy it.

I have read the God Delusion.

My only issue here is that everyone seems to want to lump "religion" and "those who believe in (a) God(s)" together.

Someone can be spiritual and believe in existence of gods without being a religionist. You are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Its probably one of those books where atheists say "See! Believing in God is stupid!"

Sirona

• Larry
    Larry

I enjoyed the book very much. It has the potential to open the door for meaningful discussions.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I've just started reading this book and so far, I'm enjoying it. Anyone who thought The God Delusion was too inflammatory should stay well away from this one!

Some comments:

serotonin_wrath:

It has a different tagline to the original, anyone know if there's anything different in the content?

Don't think so. Just the almost obligatory US/UK change in title. I prefer the US version, it seems to fit better with the contents.

SirNose586:

Is this book solely anti-Islam? If so, he'd better look up Salman Rushdie...

He's a good friend of Salman Rushdie and as such has already been threatened by religious fanatics.

Sirona:

My only issue here is that everyone seems to want to lump "religion" and "those who believe in (a) God(s)" together.

Someone can be spiritual and believe in existence of gods without being a religionist. You are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Its probably one of those books where atheists say "See! Believing in God is stupid!"

You're right, they are different subjects and Hitchens' book - despite the title - seems to be dealing more with religion. He has no problem with people who believe in gods but don't impose their beliefs on others. (Nor do I. I think they're wrong but I respect their right to be wrong.)

However, the reason (some) religious people behave in such appalling ways is because they believe their god requires them to do so. They're not extremists, they're people who actually believe what they say they believe. If we are willing to validate anybody's belief in any deities without any evidence (and unwilling to question or disparage such belief), then it should not be surprising that some of those people will actually obey their gods. Fortunately, in the civilised world, most believers ignore their god or have deliberately sought out (or invented) more benign deities but in much of the world, religious people follow their gods' commandments - well, religiously.

It's a general problem with cultural relativism. If we accept that all cultures and belief systems are equally valuable, then we necessarily include those cultures that don't tolerate any dissent. They will not, needless to say, return the favour.

To me, it's quite obvious that some cultures and beliefs are genuinely, objectively better than others. Societies that recognise individual rights are really better than societies in which slavery is permitted. Cultures where young women are allowed to choose their own husbands are better than ones where they are beaten to death by their fathers, uncles or brothers for attempting to do so. These differences in behaviour stem from differences in belief. The reason Muslim men treat women so badly is because the Koran permits - even requires - them to do so. It is the belief in the unquestionable perfection of the Koran that is the problem. It's time to stop doling out respect to people who subjugate women, torture animals or mutilate children just because they believe an invisible man in the sky requires them to do so. It's time to say their behaviour is unacceptable and their beliefs are absurd.

• jukief
    jukief

Alan just finished it and loved it. He gave it to me last night, so I'll start it next.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I've thumbed through the God Delusion book and have it on my list......my rather long list of books to get.....sounds like I'll add another to the list and........when I have time........sigh.

However, the reason (some) religious people behave in such appalling ways is because they believe their god requires them to do so. They're not extremists, they're people who actually believe what they say they believe. If we are willing to validate anybody's belief in any deities without any evidence (and unwilling to question or disparage such belief), then it should not be surprising that some of those people will actually obey their gods. Fortunately, in the civilised world, most believers ignore their god or have deliberately sought out (or invented) more benign deities but in much of the world, religious people follow their gods' commandments - well, religiously.

Eh......isn't God simply within and if we all wanted peace our God would be one of peace and the world would be a peaceful place. It's people doing bad in the name of their God. IMHO.

Peace and out.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I made a blank post somehow.

Never mind, the real post is on the next page.

Go on, nothing to see here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit