What's your view of "The Secret"

by darth fader 34 Replies latest jw friends

• darth fader
    darth fader

A neighbor told me about the book, "The Secret". I read it and thoroughly enjoyed. It places emphasis on the "Universe" but can be understood to be a Supreme Being (God). I've taken to heart some of what I read and have been encouraged by the results. It has a lot to do with material things and the process to get more but it also applies to relationships and health. I've been much happier and my wife says she's noticed a change as well. What I liked best was the power was within myself, not from an organization like Borg. The material truly was useful and more practical than anything from the WTS. It was a shift in thinking and makes more sense than anything I read when I was in the troof.

Just curious what others say about the book and the reasoning.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I haven't read it but I've seen other threads on here about it. I know lots of people have raved about it, I'll have to get a copy.

• Heather
    Heather

I have watched the DVD but have not read the book yet. I like the idea of it all and i have applied some of the suggestions to my thinking....i'd like to be a more positive person anyway. It does seem to resymbol sciencetology a bit. I'm just waiting for that money i'm imagineing to come rolling in...

Seriously though it has help trumendously with my marriage

• cab1000
    cab1000

I have seen the movie, and my wife bought the book. She became very frustrated after not winning the lottery as she should have a few times. I think positive thinking is great, that said, there is nothing wrong with a little hard work either.

I would recommend staying away from it. The problem with it is that it is basically saying that if you think positive thoughts, you get positive actions. That means that every bad thing that has happened to good people just meant that they were thinking negatively?? Really? That's how I understand it...

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

From what I have seen it looks like the end result of mixing The Da Vinci Code with an infomercial.

There is no quick and easy way to the top, not even if it costs only three easy payments of 29.99

• ninja
    ninja

nobody told me about it.....get it?....he he....ahem... I'll be off then

• Mulan
    Mulan

About 10 years ago, I went to a weekend seminar that taught basically the same thing as The Secret. A month later we had a follow up weekend seminar. The philosophies are brilliant, and I believe they work.

For me, it becomes a matter of remembering to apply the principles and do the work.

After going to this seminar, I had the epiphany that "this is why they say prayer works". Just a thought, but it struck home to me.

I've always been goal oriented and write my goals down and try to focus on them. I've had a dream board for years, where you paste photos and drawings of material things, words and qualities you want to acquire. Amazing how many dream boards I've had to make because I end up getting everything.

• Mum
    Mum

I did not read the book, but did see the film. I agree with the philosophy of living life as if it is everything you want it to be. The Secret can only take one so far. Illness, death, accidents and tragedy abound in spite of all of our philosophy. Some people take it as some kind of magic and are likely to become disappointed, even bitter in some cases.

Focusing on practice and not results is the best course. There is a Zen saying about planting and watering, but results are not guaranteed.

Regards,

SandraC

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

I glanced through the first few pages of the book.

And I can tell you, all the positive wishing I've done: Got nothin from it.

That being said, I've been employing the "Think positive" for years now, and I'm an extremely happy person. People love me, and I never really find myself needing anything (Cept broadband internet!) .

So I guess, in a way, it works. But apparently I already knew the "Secret" :P .

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    What I liked best was the power was within myself, not from an organization like Borg.

thats a great place to start

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit