What's your view of "The Secret"

by darth fader 34 Replies latest jw friends

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Terry thanks for posting that- I wasn't aware what "The Secret" was even about. I'm glad I didn't waste my money buying a book out of mere curiosity.

• ninja
    ninja

hey brinjo get to sleep...you're up far too late....ninjo

• brinjen
    brinjen
    hey brinjo get to sleep...you're up far too late....ninjo

Awww, can't I stay up just a little bit longer? Do I have to brush my teeth? Oh alright then, nighty-night everyone....

• zagor
    zagor

Morning folks, still awake so checking in :)

actually I've had this discussion with my flatmates several times already, last one only 4 hours ago lol (mind you these are highly educated girls so I'm not surprised it has such a potent effect on public in general). But my view on it is that of course "environment" (not universe) will react, environment made out of people.

IF you are positive in your outlook that reflects on things you think about and talk about and these are the things people around you react to not to your brain waves.

What fascinates me in all of this more than anything is how when you skillfully label things and dress them differently suddenly normal things in life start sounding mysterious. But there might be a plus side in all of this hoopla, many people are trying to be positive and that can't be a bad thing. That is how some of eastern religions such as Buddhisms are set up in fact, so new age guys and gals are just reinventing the wheel here.

I'm happy to change my view if someone can prove me otherwise but I've already got two believers here who couldn't manage that. ;)

What we have here is some science mixed with lots of pseudoscience and to average Joe and Jill all of that sounds the same because both of those use the same language.

I don't think there is a harm in reading the book but do you honestly believe that an Australian TV producer suddenly discovered something very few research scientists and psychologists couldn't figure after years of research and study? Come on folks get real.

[edited, gotta go to sleep can't see what I'm typing lol]

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    What we have here is some science mixed with lots of pseudoscience and to average Joe and Jill all of that sounds the same because both of those use the same language.

I'm sorry but I'm finding this hard to swallow. Did you say these were highly educated people? I can't imagine someone "highly educated" would even consider Pseudoscience. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• zagor
    zagor

Well they are highly educated it that they've got their degrees, so yes. I didn't say they are long time research scientists but are more qualified than most people on the street or even most people on this thread

[to add] you've got even some phd scientists believing in god and other things, so level of education doesn't necessarily correlate with someone's internal feelings and beliefs there are other factors at play such as upbringing and environment they usually mix in

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Well they are highly educated it that they've got their degrees, so yes. I didn't say they are long time research scientists but are more qualified than most people on the street or even most people on this thread

More qualified for what? I would think they would be less inclined to guillibility.

[to add] you've got even some phd scientists believing in god and other things, so level of education doesn't necessarily correlate with someone's internal feelings and beliefs there are other factors at play such as upbringing and environment they usually mix in

yes, but you have to admit these things are usually debunked once education comes in to play. It's not the norm for someone so educated to believe in such things. The ones that do are not majority

I'm sorry when I read what you wrote it reminded me of what you said in that email and I never got a chance to get back to you. I should have asked you then. *Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread*

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Thanks for the clip. Extremely funny.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Terry: Could you run the basics of that "singing bananas" secret past me real quick? It sounds like just what I've been looking for!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It is pseduo-change. It makes people feel like they are able to revolutionize their lives but in time they die down and in the meantime they irritate everyone around them with hairbrained schemes. Like my land lady who is now convinced after watching it that she can cure her bunions by "releasing them" because her great grandfather had bunions and the soul of the bunions was in her. Welcome to Anaheim (aka quack quack quack, points for the movie quote reference)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit