What makes 'the Truth'....THE TRUTH?

by BizzyBee 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

first off busy, i think that is their central truth, central teaching if you will... i remember being told that jesus died for my sins... and bla bla bla...

secondly, how is this bullshit religion the truth? well, its easy, the few guys at the top said so... isn't that enough? if it isn't well, we'll have to disfellowship you... sorry, you have been insubordinate..

the infamous one

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Thanks for some very thoughtful answers.............for me, this question has opened up some very profound thoughts..................and your answers have helped to expand on them.

As a religious concept, it is uniquely relevant to JWs. "The Truth" - can only be expressed in quotes, i.e., one has to be of the inner circle to understand the jargon that describes being a JW. I believe that is one of the precepts of mind control - the secret language.

The truth, as a philosophical concept is touched upon by The Dragon.

I think OnTheWayOut captures the broad brush strokes - 1914, FDS, anointed, Armageddon, etc.

Drew emphasizes the FDS, which in a way, really is the point of JWism, and could be the defining dogma. After all, it is basically an apocalyptic sect, among many.

Edmund has the commercial aspect of it all - what sells - and in a way, that, too is the essence. Without it would the WTS have survived 125+ years?

VM44 cut to the chase - the "Truth" is whatever Brooklyn decrees it to be at a given point in time.

But I have to disagree with the InfamousOne - that Jesus died for our sins is, in a way, the antithesis of JW "Truth." They give lip service to this concept, but everything they teach and practice is in opposition to the Jesus story. Not 'salvation by faith' - but - 'salvation by works,' totally ignoring and negating the central theme of Christianity.

So again I ask - What is the "Truth," - in JW quotation marks?

Is it Armageddon? Is it FDS? Is it 'this good news of the Kingdom'? Is it 'do as we say?'

If so, what would "the Truth" look like after Armageddon? When Armageddon, FDS, the good news, do as we say - ARE ALL RENDERED OBSOLETE?

• integ
    integ

There's no one thing, it is the conglomeration of the "truthful teachings" of JW's. Even though they admit they are fallable (sp), they are being led by Holy Spirit and have been chosen by Jehovah to be His religion; His people.

Integ.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Being a cult makes it "the truth". This concept is normal cult black-and-white thinking and loaded language. Only the cult has truth, everyone is wrong.

Watchtower "current truth" needs to be distinguished from "prior truth". When Russell started it the Ransom was the prominant teaching, since Rutherford it became the establishment of Jehovah's Kingdom and the destruction of all others at Armageddon.

• JK666
    JK666

A plethera of lies! JK

• trevor
    trevor

It does not matter what they teach or how many times they change their mind about what they believe. It is all packaged under the brand name The Truth.

Anyone who wants to live forever in a New World can achieve this by demonstrating unquestioning obedience and loyalty to The Watchtower Society. Then they are IN The Truth, they HAVE The Truth and IT is The Truth.

To question this Truth is to die.

• Zico
    Zico

I heard of an interesting statement apparently made at the Convention.

The speaker said (roughly):

'It's interesting, that the 1st Century Christians referred to Christianity as 'The Way' whereas we call it 'The Truth' Personally, I prefer 'the way' because 'the truth' suggests we know everything'

Funny, I thought Jesus was both 'The Way' and 'The Truth'

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Chilling. And disturbing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit