As a parent....how do YOU feel about trampolines?

by onlycurious 28 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, trampolines are potentially dangerous and you can in fact get hurt seriously on them. But so are the following: Swing sets (you can fall off the seat while swinging), bicycles (traffic accidents, wiping out), skateboards (you can fall off while going fast), rollerskates (you can fall while going at high speed), electric toys of all kinds (you can get electrocuted), the Game Boy (repetitive stress injury), running around (you can trip and fall, possibly getting seriously hurt), sleds (you can hit a tree, a rock, or a car at high speed), skis (falls and collisions), slides (you can fall off the top), climbing gyms and trees (you can fall from a height), marbles (a choking hazard), jacks (another choking hazard), swimming pools (drownings and hitting your head while diving), barbecue grills (the flash fires and blown propane tanks are threats), a pet (they can scratch or bite), pencil and paper (you can put out an eye on the pencil and choke on broken pieces of crayons), and just about every other thing you can think of.

This is just one thing we have to accept. Any parent has to decide whether any item provides enough benefit to justify the risk. If you have a zero tolerance for any sort of injury, you have no fun. This is no excuse for recklessness--trampoline risks can be cut if people use common sense and avoid horseplay while on the thing. But I cannot see having them banned totally, any more than I could see banning a swimming pool or riding a bike. Use common sense.

Incidently, trampolines are safer than going out in service. Service, with all the dogs, traffic hazards, bad steps, householders willing to shoot the Witnesses, and the stress, is far more dangerous. And there is no benefit of any kind--neither fun nor exercise--that can warrant the risk. Anyone who wants to legislate trampolines out of existence ought to start with the Witlesses.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Take my advice....lol (this is why I should have been blond)

DO NOT, put the trampoline under a tree, even if your hot from the sun and you want to be in the shade - NOT A GOOD IDEA!

That's all!

• ninja
    ninja

they have their ups and downs

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

My friend Jodie was on one of those huge ones in her backyard showing off for her dog and she flipped completely off the trampoline, I think she sprained something- I don't remember exactly. I can understand your concerns though especially once something happens, it's a little late to do anything about it after the fact if someone really gets badly hurt.

• Mary
    Mary

Have you looked up an info in the Society's publications about trampolines? I'm sure they're probably from pagan origin.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    I had trampoline lessons in elementary school. I had a HUGE trampoline to bounce in, not those little tiny things that I see in people's backyards. So for most things the risk was almost nonexistent, but for flips, they started you out in a belt and harness so that minimized the risk as well until you learn how to do it without it, although it is back to the harness for more advanced things like putting a twist in the flip, etc.

Those were the good ole days hey? I did the same thing......and they always used me as an example.

I wont get on them now.......especially with another person. I hate it when they hit right before you do, and you fly 20 feet in the air. NO thanks.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My trampoline instructors were in their 80s and 90s. Nothing like doing flips in a harness with a 90-year-old man keeping you safe (but he was strong, even for his age). I also had my lessons in a Priory, which was interesting because JWs were so anti-anything having to do with churches, but I went to a Priory every weekend....often instead of having "field service". Having only jumped in full-sized trampolines, I am just surprised seeing people doing risky things in such tiny trampolines I have seen...I wouldn't want to use one of those.

• Heather
    Heather

Everytime my oldest has gone near a trampoline he has some how gotten hurt....so i've basicly forbiden any of my children from being on one. As a good alternitive we bought a large bouncy house....they can bounce all over the place and not fall out.......great invention.....

P.S. there also fun for the parents after the kids go to bed........hahahahahah

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm sorry, here's a news flash. The world is full of all sorts of things that are fun but not safe: swings, slides, bikes, skiis, skateboards, Corvettes, and yes, trampolines. Teach your kid about doing things with some basic safety in mind. Have a spotter, have somebody teach you to do it right, don't ski past the sign that says "danger." Learn the limits of what you can do. Don't drink and drive. You can't protect them forever, they're going to do some dumb things. What they need is knowledge and self-discipline.

Take this as a teaching moment.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    DO NOT, put the trampoline under a tree,

LMAO...you must be blonde at heart whyamihere...heehee...though, that would be something that I would have probably have done too without thinking.

Here's how I feel about things like tampolines. When I was growing up I was raised around 4 boy cousins. We use to climb in the tallest trees, swinging from vines off small clifts and jumping down stairs. Kids will find things to "jump" off or swing off no matter what you do because that's part of being kids.

My daughter (2 years old) climbs on the couch arm yelling "I'm king of the mountain" and jumps (she's a tomboy like me...lol). I have tried many times to put a stop to it but gave up. Sure we can try to protect them but we can also become a bit too over protective. I was way too protective with Zach unfortunately (he was my first born) and he's scared to get hit with a baseball at his games and sort of runs away from it instead of running after it. I guess there needs to be a balance with things. Maybe warn your daughter? Can you be there when she's on the trampoline?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit