I must say that I am very curious

by Grins 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Grins
    Grins

I am looking for information on the beliefs of Jehovah's Witness I do not know much and I am afraid that most of what I am finding is biased information one way or the other. I did find a "fact sheet" and I am wondering if all of it is true or not. I looked at the watchtower website for answers to a few of these and so far I am finding them to be true. I am a social worker and have clients who have these beliefs please help me to confirm or deny these.

#14 You are discouraged from attending college

#16 All pastors are the "AntiChrist"

#17 All churches are of Satan

#19 You cannor read Christian literature from a Christian book store

#31 You cannot celebrate your birthday

#32 You cannot run for or hold a political campaign

#33 You cannot vote in any political campaign

#34 You cannot serve on a jurt

#35 You are discouraged from giving to charity (except Watchtower causes)

#72 You cannot support your country

#95 You cannot participate in a school play

These are just a few of the 101. I will not give my opinion of these because I am simply trying to understand the beliefs of the people I work with. Please help me find some answers

• done4good
    done4good

All of the above are basically correct. Some are absolute, others are more of a strong suggestion that one is pressured into. Yes, in the jws, peer pressure is a big problem.

j

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

college is discouraged, but, not as badly looked upon as it once was. all the others are 100%fact. these aren't even the scary ones. wait until you really get into it. if you need any help, we are all here to do that.

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

#14 You are discouraged from attending college

True. ..why attend college when Armegeddon is just around the corner? Pioneering (full time preaching) is what young people are encouraged to do. I was in high school in the 70's - some JW kids didn't even finish high school - just dropped out because Armegeddon was coming in 75 - why get an education? Wish I had known then what I know now.

#16 All pastors are the "AntiChrist"

#19 You cannor read Christian literature from a Christian book store

True enough. . .the only literature you need is what comes from the WT Society

True - too much emphasis on self - also someone getting his head chopped clean off at a birthday celebration in the bible should tell us its a no-no

#32 You cannot run for or hold a political campaign

True - shouldn't be any part of "this world"

Also true. . .same reason as above

#34 You cannot serve on a jurt

True also. . .can't exactly remember why - its been a long time

#35 You are discouraged from giving to charity (except Watchtower causes)

True. . .they want the money of the weathly JW's and the not so wealthy

True - no saluting of the flag either or singing the national anthem or even standing for it at any type of sporting event or otherwise

#95 You cannot participate in a school play

True - extracurricular activities are discouraged. . .children should be at meetings/studying/preaching or being with other JW children - not having "worldly friends"

• Gopher
    Gopher

The following have been less true, from what I have seen (and I was a JW from birth to age 39):

#34 You cannot serve on a jury - this is usually a conscience matter for individuals to decide

#35 You are discouraged from giving to charity (except Watchtower causes) - again, this is usually a conscience matter, unless the charity is directly supporting another religion. But if you want to give to United Way, etc., it won't bring a congregation sanction. However, the Watchtower Society would prefer you give them your charitable donations, as they plea for funds each year in their magazine.

#95 You cannot participate in a school play -- I had two JW friends who participated in their high school plays (different cities and different years). One went on to Bethel (the Watchtower publishing headquarters of the country where they live), and one is currently the wife of a traveling overseer of JW's. As was stated earlier, extracurricular activities are generally discouraged by Watchtower leaders.

• Mum
    Mum

Welcome to the forum, Grins.

The list you give are some of the more innocuous policies and doctrines of the Watchtower organization. If you are perceived as not supportive of your JW co-worker in any way, you are likely to be seen by him or her as one who is "persecuting" him or her.

Regards,

SandraC

• serendipity
    serendipity

JWs can do any of these things. HOwever, if it becomes known that they do this, there will be consequences: being avoided or no longer included in social events, more seriously, losing privileges in the congregation and for some of them, being disfellowshipped (shunned) where other JWs will not speak to them.

Disfellowshipping offenses:

Going to a church for Sunday services would get a JW disfellowshipped if he were caught.

If caught, a JW could be df'd. A person's own family member may turn them in to the elders.

#32 You cannot run for or hold a political campaign.
    Definitely df'ing offense.

ditto.

Not openly.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovahs_witnesses is a good place to start as the information is a collaboration from JWs and exJWs, so fairly neutral.

• love11
    love11

Some are left in the category "a conscience matter", but even so, if you do one of these taboos then you are looked upon as "not that spiritually strong". Socially speaking, following your own conscience instead of the advice of the organization, it could lead to not being invited to get-togethers, gradual distancing from friends, gossip, etc,.

Also, there are many unsaid "rules" too. Don't say "god bless you" when you sneeze, don't buy a small car because a van can hold more people for door to door work, etc,.

For all the rules you listed there are reasons why they follow them, mostly because they somehow find a scripture, or their translation of it, to justify the rule.

A big one with JW's is that they will not take a blood transfusion. A court usually has to step in for children of JW's, otherwise the parents would refuse the transfusion for their child. This is because the bible says not to eat blood. The oxymoron is that they think nothing of ordering a steak rare, but will let their children die to be able to refuse blood.

Another oxymoron- in one breath they denounce child abuse, but in another breath they encourage strong discipline of their children, all while quoting the scripture, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". I was told by elders to be more obedient after I showed them my many bruises. My sister was raped by two elders boys, the elders told her not to wear revealing clothing, she was only 14. A 40- year old elder had an affair with my 16 year old friend. She was disfellowshipped because she was being sinful. He only stepped down from his position as elder and was told to take his wife on a vacation. This is just an example of what they say and do are two different things. There is a public face and a private face.

Child abuse is rampant in the organization. Here's why: There policy is that you have to have two eye witnesses to the abuse before they will believe a child is truely abused. Another policy of the organization is that you are not allowed to take a brother to court. That is why they will discipline their members without the interference of law enforcement. So a child molester will be among them, be shunned/disfellowshipped as discipline, and then be allowed back in after a few months to a year. Usually the perpetrator repeats the offense at a different congregation, only is more cautious about getting caught.

The reason I am telling you all this is because you mentioned you were a social worker. More than likely you have ran across the abuse of JW parents. This abuse is more prevalent than you think. There are many cases going to court and settlements against the organization, due to not reporting the abuse. ALL settlements have been with gag-orders.

I should tell you that they do not consider it lying when in court. They feel that in certain cases it is acceptable to lie to protect the name of Jehovah. A bad reflection on them, they feel is a bad reflection on God. They mention the scripture- "Do not throw your pearls before swine." Pearls of truth. That is how they have gotten away with it.

I hope that helps- message me if you want to know any more.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I'm not sure about the "antichrist" one, and the school play would be up to "your own conscience" (though I know my mom wouldn't let us). However, yep, everything else on the list is true.

K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit