marriage and family in the "new system"

by luffy 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sinis
    sinis
    If you live through Armageddon you stay married, but if you die and are resurrected you are not married, and if you go through Armageddon single you have to stay single.

JWFacts - are you SURE this is a Watchtower teaching? I was in the Borg from birth to age 39, and I never heard this one. In fact, a couple of single guys I knew joked about being in the AAA club -- "Available After Armageddon".

I know that they teach resurrected people don't get to marry in the New World, that's weird enough.

Yes that is correct. I believe this is the reason many, many young persons get married when they can't even wipe their own nose. They are afraid they won't have a meaningful relationship with the opposite sex when Armageddon comes, which we all know, accroding to the society is next week.

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

Hi luffy,

I believe, if I remember right - if you survived together (i.e., a married couple) you would still be married in the "new system". If a spouse died in the old system (now) then if that person was faithful they would be resurrected, but would have a different body. You would supposedly know that person by their personality but the couple would not be married. I never quite understood that myself. I remember asking about one person, whose husband died and she had remarried. I asked what was her husband going to think when he was resurrected. The answer was that he would be fine with it - Jehovah would make "everything ok". The resurrected spouse would be like a "family member" or friend. Never quite understood how that was going to work, but no one really questioned it - or at least not that I remember. This was what I remember being told. . .which was a long time ago. . .perhaps someone else has a better explanation that they received???? Did anyone else think this was going to be an odd situation????

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I remember "available after armageddon." Some singles were planning on marrying men or women born after Armageddon, when I suppose living forever would level age differences. What a ridiculous notion - it you push the WTBTS on their doctrine it all becomes ridiculous eventually, and then they just say "wait on Jehovah" as a way out of their paradox.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I remember asking about one person, whose husband died and she had remarried. I asked what was her husband going to think when he was resurrected. The answer was that he would be fine with it - Jehovah would make "everything ok". The resurrected spouse would be like a "family member" or friend. Never quite understood how that was going to work.

Dawn, when I was a JW, I did think that would be a very uncomfortable situation for everyone.

When confronted with an awkward question like you asked, JW's will bail out by saying "let's wait on Jehovah, let's not speculate and get ahead of Jehovah". That's because a lot of the WTS teaching about post-Armageddon life didn't make sense.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This was a sensitive topic rarely discussed, so most JWs probably do not even know the teaching. There were flip flops as well to make it more confusing. I just remember as a kid that it went back to the hardline doctrine against marriage and how much it offended the sisters in my congregation. Even some of the most ferverent followers refused to believe the current Watchtower teaching.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    That's because a lot of the WTS teaching about post-Armageddon life didn't make sense.

That's because Freddy Franz who made up these doctrines was the worlds oldest virgin when he died and had no idea about the meaning of family. I imagine he was also behing much of the shocking "shun your own family" disfellowshipping rules as well.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I had a major argument with a snooty elder's wife about this. She insisted that no one could marry after Armegeddon.

There was this very kind couple who had been married from their teenage years and were in their 90's now. The husband died and I said something about them being married again in the paradise. She jumped down my throat and said that would not be allowed. Then she went about proving it with the society's literature.

I read the scriptures from the Bible to her and said it was obvious that Jesus was speaking about heaven. This couple lived for each other and she died shortly after her husband of a broken heart. The elder's wife never really liked me after that. Their cruelty knows no boundaries.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    if you go through Armageddon single you have to stay single.

The teaching for a very long time was that Armageddon survivors would be able to marry and have children after Armageddon. That is why JWs were told to put off marriage until after Armageddon. Rutherford, in his "Fill the Earth" articles, described the post-Armageddon world practically as a sex paradise. Lots of sex equals lots of babies, and the world would have to be repopulated after Armageddon just as the world was repopulated after the Flood. This was before the resurrection belief was radically revised in the 1960s, which allowed for the resurrection of much of humanity. At the same time, marriage before Armageddon came to be permitted or looked at with less disapproval, but even for decades later the Society encouraged people to remain single if possible.

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

I too never heard of this "no marriage after armaggedon" thing.

Maybe it was just in your cong jwfacts :P

• DawnLS620
    DawnLS620

This was before the resurrection belief was radically revised in the 1960s, which allowed for the resurrection of much of humanity. At the same time, marriage before Armageddon came to be permitted or looked at with less disapproval, but even for decades later the Society encouraged people to remain single if possible.

What was the resurrection belief before the 60's?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit