If someone offerred you one wish to change your life ...

by zagor 30 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

What would it be? A lady friend living at my condo asked me the same question today and I had to really think hard. What would be the one thing that would definitively change everything?! One thing that would pull all other strings together? And there is a catch it can't be money? What would you chose?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greeting Zagor,

Well, they say be cafeful what you wish for.... I wish I hadn't been so swayed by the strong-willed, older JWs who studied with me and PUSHED me toward the organization, which resulted in many family/friends/strangers in the field following suit.
    At one time it was the joy of the ages.
    I'm wondering now if it isn't just a nightmare from which there is no awakening.

CoCo

• DJK
    DJK

I wish I never started smoking. But, then I would live longer with the heartaches I've lived with for too long.

Like CoCo said, be careful what you wish for.

• zagor
    zagor

I thought long and hard what that one thing would be...I wish I could return back to when I was 18 years of age and continue with my engineering study and not exit it under pressure. Even though eventually I've got my qualifications with delay it took almost 10 years to re-enroll and it that time life was a living hell. Had I stayed there and just persisted in doing what I love the most who know where life could have taken me by now... Would have been at most 22 when I would have finished it and as they say here "wold is your oyster"

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Good morning Zagor! My wish would be for the energy and body of my youth...and the knowledge to know what I had. Can I wish a different tomorrow....getting back in shape sucks. I think I would have kept it in better shape...no ciggs and such...

• Scully
    Scully

I would wish for the life I would have had if we hadn't moved cross country when I was 6 years old. It was that move that made my folks vulnerable to JW seduction, prior to that they never gave the JWs the time of day, and in fact were quite opposed.

It would be interesting to find out what kind of life I might have had without any JW influence to warp it.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, Zagor,

Me again. How ironic! At the same age - 18 - I gave up, under theocratic pressure, what I had worked for since early childhood. In my college town, an older "anointed" couple urged me to stay in school. Though real "old school" in terms of the JWs [he had been a "pilgrim" for the Society], they were very progressive intellectually in terms of life in the real world. Now that I look back, they were the only voice of reason in the organization.

I don't feel at this philosophic point in my life that it's a total loss - by no means. But financially, it's dismal. It's to my benefit that I'm an optimist.

It's a very good thing, Z., that you were able to recover early on. Congratulations!

Wishing you further success,

CoCo

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I would wish to have been born a congenital optimist, rather than a lifelong pessimist. I am only just now learning the normal, healthy, informed optimism that successful people have. At 50!

If I'd been an optimist from childhood, I would have accepted my mother's offer to put me through theatre school, would have gone to the Spanish-language immersion school in Cuernavaca, would have had more kids, and probably - but not certainly, come to think of it - never would have been a jaydub. Or would have left much sooner. Might be a Unitarian or some kind of gonzo-liberal Christian or muscular pagan today.

Wouldn't have been so lazy.

Wouldn't have been so goddamned obedient!!

gently feral

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Go back to when I was 14/15 and mostly know what I know now, and continue with the boyfriend I had then. We would have gotten married. He was a baptized witness as well as I, but looking back in retrospect, he wouldn't have been for long because good sense would overtake him. After we broke up and years later, he joined the Navy was was duly DA'd and he didn't even know it.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I wouldn't change one single thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit