When Did You Start Feeling Uncomfortable In The “Truth?”

by The wanderer 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was seriously depressed, felt unloved and lonely, could never do enough, was never good enough, after a while you give up.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

When they changed the 'generation' teaching in 1995. I never accepted that 'new light' so did some research and soon learned that the entire 1914 chronology and morass of Watchtower prophecy related to 1914 is false. Thus I completely lost my trust/faith in the Watchtower Society and decided I could no longer slave for an organisation run by some old geezers who are as blind about bible prophecy as any other religious group is. That's when I began my very slow fade.

• magoo
    magoo

................1959 @ 7 years old......1st year of not celebrating christmas...........what do you mean no presents??? parents went to '58 international convention in new york, yankee stadium.

for some strange reason life was never the same.......until 1977 after being a ministerial servent & seeing the "good ol' boy" system at it's best....walked away without a single look back. divorced my materialistic, never enough things, good jw wife....got a live in girl friend.....laughed at the fake shock of all the brothers & sisters, secretly doing what they were critcizing every one else for.....

been with my 2nd wife since 1981, raised 2 kids, now raising my 11 year old adopted daughter.....who by the way thinks her daddy hung the moon.....and i did, ya know.

since i left the "falsehood".....all but 1 of my 8...no 9...or is it 10 siblings have freed themselves.......life is good.....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<my sisters...... magoo

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Poppers:

I apologize for letting your questions slide.

In reponse to your questions:

Q.I'm just wondering, did you know going in that independent thinking wouldn't be allowed?

A. No, I was not aware of that during the days when I studied with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Q.If so, what is it that allowed you to continue anyway?

A. Disloyalty to God, Fear of dying, Being emotionally captive to the
    whole ideology of the Watchtower Society.

I hope that this answered some of the questions Poppers.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• parakeet
    parakeet

I was uncomfortable "in the Truth" starting with the first minute of the first "Bible study" some JW suckered my parents into accepting. I was 12 years old. Fourteen uncomfortable years later, I left "the Truth."

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think it was when I fell for someone I met on the internet. I knew we wouldn't be allowed to be together and even tried to study the require brochure over the internet. He was smart enough to find the holes in it thankfully. Between that and being surrounded by a few intellectuals that helped me step back from the argument it fueled the doubts I had had since I was about 12. When I was younger though I always brushed those doubts asside by overzealousness and telling myself it was still a good life even if they turned out to be wrong. I guess I got tired of saying "no I can't" all the time.

• R.F.
    R.F.

When I realized that the love that Christ talked about wasn't there and that it was all about the business. It was like working a second job for me with ones trying to climb the corporate ladder as well. Even using cutthroat tactics.

• love11
    love11

In kindegarden.

It was the first time I realized that I was different. I didn't know that other people celebrated holidays, birthdays, saluted the flag, etc,. I didn't know any different because I never was around a "worldly" person before that. I felt bad and ashamed, going to school went from excitement to depression- instantly. As a 5 year old, I just thought fun times were for the other kids, not me. Like I was being punished and I was evil because I wanted to do satanic things like eat a birthday cupcake. I never went in the clubhouse in the classroom, even though I really, really wanted to, because my parents said I should never step foot in a worldly persons house. I sat in the back of the room during a christmas party and watched the other children open gifts, while I colored a horse, with a lump in my throat, trying to hold back the tears. Over the years the discomfort was only supressed.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I think I always felt a degree of discomfort in the hall. They just judge each other and try to impress others.

What got me incredibly uncomfortable was the constant talk about bloodguiltiness at the meetings. Of course the applied it to meeting attendance, service and saving others.

When I heard of the change in the generation doctrine, I knew they were lying to us and I was repeating their lies to others.

Then they changed the blood doctrine, allowing the use of the blood banks, while pretending to abstain from blood. I could not teach anyone not to take blood because it was a lie too. I actually would get panic attacks and leave the hall when the subject came up at a meeting.

Then I remember an elder stating the 2 witness rule for child molestors. I caught his eye as he said it and I know he could tell I was visably upset. How could I direct others to such an organization?

I began to feel bloodguilty and reprehensible if I tried to bring others into this mess. The last few times I went out in service, I just gave people a tract about Jesus and wished them a good day.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Boy - it was a lifetime of little nagging doubts for me - I just kept pushing them aside.

Prob the first [big] time was when the elders decided they needed to come after and disfellowship my mother for smoking - even though she had not been inside the Kingdom Hall for better part of a decade [except for maybe Memorial and the very rare meeting]. They let her join while a smoker, but after she left and continued to smoke, they needed to 'stone' her publicly.

The rest constitutes a book - which I am writing.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit