Stop college or keep plugging on?...opinions please.

by FreedomFrog 40 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

CONTINUE your education by any means you can. It'll be worth it. Seriously.

• Mum
    Mum

When my daughter was going to college, she was able to get a government grant which does not have to be repaid. Go to your local library and look in one of those Matthew Lesko books regarding financing for college. There are a lot of unknown scholarship plans. I know that Clairol has (or had at one time) a scholarship program for women going back to college.

As you are computer literate, could you find a part-time job to help you? Most colleges have jobs on campus for students.

The local community college here has a Boys and Girls Club on campus where students can leave their kids while in class. My granddaughter loved going to her little club. If your community college doesn't have such a facility, maybe you could network with some other students and take turns babysitting a group of kids while the other moms are in class.

State colleges generally are a lot less expensive than private schools. You may be taking out loans unnecessarily and in too large an amount which will be a burden once you graduate and are working to repay them.

I don't know if you have friends and family to help you achieve your goals. If you need to step back and continue your education later, that's okay. Just weigh the pros and cons carefully. It took me 20 years to get my degree. I graduated at age 37. In the meantime, I had job skills so that I could earn a living. There is no one answer that applies to everyone.

Best wishes,

SandraC

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll be a dissenting voice and give you permission to put your education on hold if you like.

I'm speaking from experience as a single parent who for twenty years, barely had time to pop her head up to breathe. Besides, it is very tough to maintain the self-discipline required to complete correspondence courses. I'm no dummy, but I always got lower grades on my correspondence classes. Perhaps my little motto that pulled me through those long lonely years can help you:

"I am a success if I DO my dream. Taking longer than I expect does not mean failure."

Everything I wanted to do took me three times longer than I planned. If you look at my life a certain way, it can look like a long string of failures. But it's not. I'm rich in family and the things that really matter.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Sorry you have been so stressed. Have you put any ads anywhere to get a steady babysitting or housecleaning job?

Have you considered taking one class a semester at a community college? Some have child care on site. I know that costs, but maybe something worth looking into for a few hours each week.

Try to relax your mind a bit, for yourself!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

freedom frog, i hope you continue your education. that's one thing no one can take from you. and, if you keep plugging/plunging away, you'll have a better life on the other side. good luck, i know this is very hard.

• changeling
    changeling

Be cool, stay in school!

• lrkr
    lrkr

File a FAFSA. You will probably get a grant or at least an offer of work study or loan.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Make sure that the online course is accredited and transferrable.

Fix your computer so that the stress of your computer doesn't unfairly prejudice your decision.

Hang in!

• blondie
    blondie

Going back to school is a financial decision. Sit down and figure out what your financial status is right now. Figure out too your time schedule. Maybe it is a matter of cutting back rather than cutting off.

I worked full-time and a part-time job, took 12 credits, and I have no kids. Is there anyone you can buddy with to study and share some of the stress. I went to a study group for an online class in my town. I got lots of tips of how to handle it.

Keep your goal in mind, education towards a better income. Where do you see yourself working after you complete this? How much school can you afford.

Here in my area there are guidance counselors specifically for older students going back to school, many with families. Do you have that there?

Blondie

• free2think
    free2think

If it is financially viable then i would definitely continue on with your education.

• aarque
    aarque

As difficult as it may, keep plugging away. if you stop for now, it may very, very tough to get back into things again. How about going to a community college for your core classes? I was working full time and did it that way...and took one class every semester in the evenings until I was finished. It took nine years to get through, but I stuck it out. After graduation I transferred to the university and took two courses a semester (had to because of student loans).. it was rough going, but I kept at it. I graduated magna cum laude in 2001 with a BA in English Literature. It was the proudest moment of my life to hear my name announced, walk across the stage and hear my family cheering. It took fourteen years of part time to earn that sheepskin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit