Stop college or keep plugging on?...opinions please.

by FreedomFrog 40 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

My computer is probably only a year old...maybe less and I got it from Dell making sure I had all the programs and speed I needed for college. I've already called Dell to get help and they didn't see what was wrong...sort of like when you take a car in to have repairs but the thing that was "broken" is fixed until you take it back home again.

Anyway, this computer is so frustrating that I'm so tempted to toss it out the window and not look back. grrrrrr.

I'm taking courses that are mandatory which are 2 courses per 9 weeks back to back. We don't get "breaks" since they are trying to cram it all in a 18 months period...like Sas said. My GPA is 3.59 at the moment and I did have the option to add 2 more classes but I turned it down because I'm already having problems with my 2 classes as it is.

It's very difficult to have a 2 year old climbing on your back while you are trying to research a 2000 word paper on mission statements or other assignments in APA format. When my son goes to school and my daughter is taking a nap I rush in to do more research. When they are awake and around I have to wait til they are sound asleep but by then it's getting close to 10pm and I'm rarely getting in bed anymore until 2am. The assignments have to be turned in by midnight Pac. Standard Time which is around 2am for me. Uhhhgg...

Tomorrow I'm turning my assignment in which is a day late (10% of my score) to give me more time to think about this inside and out.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll check back tomorrow to see if any others have giving me suggestions. I do like one suggest that was given already about some colleges help out with things in my situation. I'll check in at Col Univ and see if they have options in daycare. I think they do and base it on your income. Maybe I can transfer my credits to Col State and I can continue in class...and get my damn books instead of partial online ones that I pay for....

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Freedom Frog...first things first. Virtual memory

Hopefully some of the computer geeks can help and correct me if needed, but it is my understanding that your PC has regular memory....lets say a 512K RAM module, and if you are running Windows XP then you have a VMM (virtual memory manager) which uses part of your hard drive to create an additional amount of memory which is equal to the amount of memory installed. So if you have 512K RAM then your total memory + your virtual would be 1024.

If you have limited RAM and run RAM intensive programs like Photoshop, Dreamweaver then you will eventually get the virtual memory error.

The solution is to make sure the VMM is working properly, if it is, then add as much normal RAM as you can afford. These days the prices have come down quite a bit.

As far as school goes, stick to it. Taking the time to regroup and make sure that you are being as efficient as possible is good, but don't give up.

Good luck!

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

Hi freedom, I might be able to help you with your computer problem, did you check your virtual memory setting in control panel , if so how much is it set at now in / mb's

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    did you check your virtual memory setting in control panel , if so how much is it set at now in / mb's

I believe that was checked...Dave (AlmostAtheist) was over here 4 hours trying to fix the problem so he'd know more about it. I know that Windows will pop up saying an error has occurred following with bunches of numbers then you close the box down and the whole system shuts down. Most of the time it says "virtual memory" which Dave increased it. Then today it said something about a "fatal error" and was totally blue with nothing but numbers and I had to hard boot it.

Tomorrow I'll have Dave to read this thread and see if something can help him get my computer fixed.

I know something about him saying I need to get windows xp and reinstall it...though that means I'll have to buy it since the CD has been lost through moving. I'm not sure if he was saying this because he was at lost with it or if he found something out that has to have the reinstallation. I'll ask tomorrow.

• davegod
    davegod

WhoAreYou is right fix the box first. Getting rid of that frustration will help a lot! DELL should be able to help with recovery cd's. As long as you have the sticker on the box you can verify the XP certificate #.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I believe that was checked...Dave (AlmostAtheist) was over here 4 hours trying to fix the problem so he'd know more about it.

That came off wrong so I wanted to clearify this statement...when I said "so he'd know more about it"...I was referring to knowing more about what he did or did not do.

Brain Dead, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was saying you didn't know...lol I know nothing about computers and when he works on mine I have no idea what exactly he does. So please, keep the ideas coming because I so need my computer working properly if I'm to continue on with my online course.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>Brain Dead, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was saying you didn't know

Who you callin' "Brain Dead"? :-)

Gina, Dell claims there is a backup of your system somewhere on the drive, and they have instructions on how to restore it. We'll have to talk about it, but maybe it's something we can do Sunday. Here's the Dell link about it

Dave

• Guardian DJ
    Guardian DJ

I have not been a Jehovah's Witness in probably 22 years, but I still and always will know the truth. Have you thought about praying that you discern the right decision and then do it? I don't know about you, but I still know that it is the truth. Even though I can not be a true witness ( it is just too damn hard), I still think that mabe he looks over and hears us. Whatr can you loose?

• flipper
    flipper

Go to college. Go to college. Go to college!!! Enough emphasis? Mr. Flipper

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Just buy a new computer and carry on! Carrying on will probably do more to help you heal after your divorce than stopping.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit