Small dog Owners, best breed?

by restrangled 41 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

My mom is slowly losing her old cat and her heart is breaking. She would like to adopt a small dog. (No puppies)

We had babysat a Chihuahua for a week that was an absolute joy before I adopted our Dobermans. So I suggested one of these. What a charmer he was! Our cat was mortified but by weeks end they were playing together.

My question is, your experience with your small dogs? Any favorites, personality quirks, etc., please fill me in.

r.

• KW13
    KW13

Well in terms of dogs with a personality - Cocker Spaniels - but some can want LOADS of attention and are quite perculiar, saying that i love our Cocker Spaniel, he's hilarious.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Over the years, we've had an assortment of cats and dogs. We now have a chihuahua. He is absolutely the best natured and most affectionate pet we have ever had. He's also quite a unique character.

• minimus
    minimus

My daughter has a white Maltese. They are very loyal to their owners.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I have a long haired doxie....and our family will always have one. The long haired breed are mixed with Spanials way back and they are sweeter in nature than the short haired breed. They are stubborn though and I would suggest only one that has been well trained and fixed if she is getting one that is older.

I like your chiuahuah idea though....I have known several really sweet ones, and they seem more easily trained.

• unique1
    unique1

Honestly I can't stand Chihuahua's but that is my opinion. They are too hyper. I had a Westie Terrier and he was super sweet and obedient. He too was a little hyper though. If she wants a dog that will lay around more and not get under her feet (more like a cat) then I suggest a bull dog or a hound (but I hear their howl can get annoying). If you decide what kind you want there are tons of rescue societies out there looking for a good place to put grown full breeds. Like if you decide you do want a Chihuahua, then type Chihuahua Rescue Society and your City or State and you should find one.

• twinflame2
    twinflame2

I always hated small dogs; thought they were yippy and hyper. We got a chihuahua for our daughter 6 years ago when she was 17. By the time she left home, we loved the dog too much to let her take her. We got another one last year and she's just the cutest little thing.

They are like babies that never grow up. Extremely portable; we take ours everywhere we travel. They are very protective. We have to watch the older one very carefully when strangers come around. They get along well with their own breed but don't like other dogs much. The exception being, we had a 5-year-old border collie mix when we got our first one. Being a puppy, she was fine with him and he's always been very tolerant and protective towards her.

In short, an excellent companion for older people.

http://i15.servimg.com/u/f15/11/05/90/13/xmasdr10.jpg

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a pic here. Hopefully the link works.

• ninja
    ninja

you can't go wrong if you follow the hoffmeister....I mean look at they wee wrinkly things........and the dogs are quite wrinkly too!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I have a five-pound dog of some sort. I don't know what breed she is but I think there is some chihuahua in there along with poodle, yorkie and who knows what else. She's pretty much a brat but she's so damn cute. I guess certain breeds have specific traits but you never know what type of personality you're going to get. And the good thing about Yorkies and Poodles is they shed less than other dogs but they do need professional grooming as Yorkies typically hate being groomed.

• blondie
    blondie

Small dogs, right? http://www.pedigree.com.sg/breeds/?b=274&p=B&pp=

Try a bichon frise (also known as BITCHING FRIZZIES) originally popular with the French aristocracy, while they have a

1) High maintenancy grooming outlook

2) They are fairly quiet dogs.

3) They are more content to stay at home and wait for you to come home from work.

4) They are good for people with pet allergies.

Bichon Frise BACKGROUND

The Bichon Frise is a French and Belgian breed. Originally popular with the French aristocracy, the breed fell from favour during the French revolution. The Bichon Frise then worked for a living by performing with organ grinders and other street musicians.

During World War I, the Bichon Frise almost became extinct and it was only the dedication of the French and Belgian breeders, which saved the breed.

The Bichon Frise was first introduced into Australia in the 1970s and since its introduction has proved successful in the show ring and equally successful as a companion dog.

AVERAGE LIFESPAN

The Bichon Frise is quite a long-living dog and will usually live up to 16 years of age, but cared for correctly and given the correct diet will often can live up to 19 years.

AVERAGE SIZE AND WEIGHT

The female in good physical condition is about 5kg and 27cm in height, while the male should be 7kg and 30cm tall.

BREED PERSONALITY, CHARACTERISTICS & TEMPERAMENT

The Bichon Frise has a superb temperament. It is an ideal companion dog, friendly, affectionate and enjoys contact with its human family. It should be primarily an indoor dog because of its devotion to the family. The Bichon Frise is not particularly suited to living outside.

It is always ready to play a game, take a walk, or just snuggle up for a cuddle. A breed with a wonderful attitude for life, they make an ideal companion for young and old alike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit