Success with the Holocaust Museum!

by rebel8 27 Replies latest jw friends

• AnneB
  • elderelite
    elderelite

wow thank you!!!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Hi! I was locked out of this site. My resolution is to post only brief comments. Hopefully, the addiction cycle was broken. Also, I will only post what is constitutional or unconst'l two times. People seem to love to argue b/c they are not paying. They see no indicia of profession. Besides, everything I post is freely and readily available at a host of websites.

This thread, while old, intrigued me. I have yet to visit the Holocaust Museum, although I plan to do so in the near future. Including archival material is a victory for a balanced view of the Witnesses in Germany. I sincerely hope the story of individual Witnesses is highlighted. Reading how brave Rutherford was, sitting in Brooklyn Heights, makes me sick.

I have no idea what the curators present in the main exhibition are where nonscholars and schoolchildren have the most access. Despite hearing a lot of nasty comments about the Witnesses from my mom, I always thought Witnesses were treated the same as Jews, communists, gays, gypsies, Catholics, mentally diseased, etc. The list seems endless. When I first saw the National Constitution Center's exhibit, I was furious that the text of the Const'n appeared hidden. I was told that they decided to set a wide net and not just appeal to lawyers and historians. My reaction was that they could have accomodated the interests of the general public and scholars.

If anyone has seen the exhibit, I would love to hear how the Witnesses are depicted within their own subgroup and the wider portrait of Nazi persecution and genocide. Reading the Rutherford letter to Hitler and other documents, I was shocked. Obviously, the truth is very nuanced. It does not seem so nuanced that a main exhibit cannot convey some of the issues. How did the curators deal with this complexity?

My gut feeling is that the Witnesses are a great teaching example of things not being black and white. It shows that those persecuted did not live in brotherhood with each other.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Hi! I was locked out of this site. My resolution is to post only brief comments. Hopefully, the addiction cycle was broken. Also, I will only post what is constitutional or unconst'l two times.

Hi BOTR - who locked you out?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My Google Chrome would not let me validate. Without the validation, I saw no way to get in touch with admins. I even visited similar sites. It was only this particular site. IE will not me post at all. Finally, I decided to try Firefox. I don't think anyone blocked me- just the universe. It was a good experience.

• blondie
    blondie

I have a question about the jw past during the Nazi era, is there any record that jws hid out Jews and helped them to safety. I was watching a movie tonight about that and don't remember such being shared at meetings or convetions.

• mP
    mP

Many people dont believe that the jews practiced human sacrifice, excusing stories like Jepthahs (sp) daughter and other similar dedications. After all that do they realise that the word holocaust literally means human sacrifice. In this tragic event , we have the jews themselves saying by language that those unfortunates were sacrificed by fire to Jehovah. Strange that even after all this time human sacrifice to god is still part of socities perceptions with the Jewish people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

The Holocaust (from the Greek ?λ?καυστος holókaustos : hólos , "whole" and kaustós , "burnt"), [2] also known as the Shoah ( Hebrew : ????? , HaShoah , "catastrophe"; Yiddish : ????? , Churben or Hurban , [3] from the Hebrew for "destruction"), was the genocide of approximately six million European Jews during World War II , a programme of systematic state-sponsored murder by Nazi Germany , led by Adolf Hitler , throughout Nazi-occupied territory. [4] Of the nine million Jews who had resided in Europe before the Holocaust, approximately two-thirds perished. [5] In particular, over one million Jewish children were killed in the Holocaust, as were approximately two million Jewish women and three million Jewish men. [6] [7]

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I have a question about the jw past during the Nazi era, is there any record that jws hid out Jews and helped them to safety. I was watching a movie tonight about that and don't remember such being shared at meetings or convetions.

I have never heard of any such incident. I think it would be grossly out of character for the witnesses - witnesses tend to think only of themselves in times of disaster or political hardship. Note that they do not even make an effort to help out non-witnesses in repairing from hurricanes, etc.

Of course, individual witnesses might take independent action at one time or another - but certainly nothing officially approved would be done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit