The Nine Resurrections!

by Blueblades 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Did The Nine Resurrections reported in the New Testament really happen? If so, why is there nothing said about them other than that they were resurrected?What about their life after they were resurrected? Wouldn't it be a strong witness that Jesus could bring the dead back to life?

Why the silence on one of the main, if not the main, core teachings of Christianity? Afterall Paul said: "If the dead are not to be resurrected, we, Christians, are to be the most pittied."

I would think that the New Testament accounts of these Nine Resurrections would tell us a lot more about the individuals who were resurrected and what they did with the rest of their lives and future death. It would make for a much more powerful witness to Jesus' claim to resurrect all his followers in the future. What do you think?

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

1.Elijah resurrected a widow's son.

2.Elisha resurrected a child.

3.A man who touched Elisha's bones came to life.

PERSONS RESURRECTED BY JESUS:

1.Widow of Nain's son.

2.Jairus' daughter

3.Lazarus

Jesus himself was resurrected.

OTHERS WHO WERE RESURRECTED

1.Peter resurrected Dorcas,known as Tabitha.

2.Paul resurrected Eutychus.

Do these nine resurrections recorded in the Bible give certain proof that the dead can be brought back to life........PHYSICALLY,in the flesh and blood body?And why are there no recorded responses from those who were brought back from the dead as to the condition of the dead when they themselves were dead?Wouldn't their testimony about what happens at death be strong evidence that when your dead ,you are actually dead and not somewhere else?

I find it strange that these nine accounts are recorded as fact without the dead persons( which the claim is made about) given any account of it themselves.

With the exception of Jesus,and one has to believe in the Bible as truthful in reporting these nine resurrections.What are your thoughts about this topic,is it proof enough for you or not?

Blueblades,who has not died and been resurrected yet, so he cannot confirm any of this.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    And why are there no recorded responses from those who were brought back from the dead as to the condition of the dead when they themselves were dead?Wouldn't their testimony about what happens at death be strong evidence that when your dead ,you are actually dead and not somewhere else?
    I find it strange that these nine accounts are recorded as fact without the dead persons( which the claim is made about) given any account of it themselves.

I have thought of these questions myself and even wondered why there is nothing recorded by the resurrected persons. Even though I believe the Bible is a book of faith, there does seem to be things written that sound more of folklore than fact. Helps to understand why there are agnostics and atheists in the world.

• Undecided
    Undecided

There were more than nine. What about the ones that came out of the tombs when Jesus died?

Matt 27:52,53.

Ken P.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Ken! Good observation on your part! Why don't we hear more about them also? Only a verse or two and then silence, why?

Blueblades

• Undecided
    Undecided

If this had really happened it would seem someone would have recorded it in the historical records of that time or at least one of those faithful ones resurrected would have talked about it in the bible. Sounds like a bunch of mystical writtings to me. Wonder how long they lived before they died again?

Ken P.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Here's a question for the dubs: Why weren't those people who were resurected made perfect? Death supposedly pays for all your sins, so when they were resurected they were sinless.

I was told that it was because Jesus had not died yet, so they couldn't be perfect until Jesus paid for their sins. (If death pays for sins, I'm not sure why you need to pay for it twice... but who says god is just?)

So then, what about those people who were resurected AFTER Jesus died? The kid that fell out the window and the Dork?

They died, and paid for their sins. Jesus ransom had already paid for the sins of mankind. So when brought back to life, they should have been perfect. Right?

Lore

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Wasn't Luke an MD.....seems like he would be esp interested.

I was always told they were recorded to let us know that it can happen.

And I just accepted it.......LOL

purps

• Terry
    Terry

Here is what is required for a resurrection to take place.

1.Somebody has to be regarded as dead. I used the word "regarded" you'll notice.

2.That same person must stop being regarded as dead.

See how simple it is?

Think of the range of possibilities inherent in this!

1.A mistake can be made about a dormant person. They aren't really dead. Being unconscious can be pretty convincing in an emotional situation.

2.Faking death to make the resurrector look powerful is a possibility

3. Hearing a report about a resurrection, if told convincingly, can trigger the desire to repeat the story (and exaggerate details.) or make it more personal than it is.

4.Being told by another person that THEY themselves were dead and then brought back to life can sound very convincing. The actual person might believe what they were told or could by lying.

Not one of us saw any of the so-called resurrections in the Bible. Yet, we repeat those stories with a sense of validity and wonder.

The faith of solid people who are trustworthy is informed by these stories and they retell them with conviction.

That can be very convincing.

But--proof? ARE YOU KIDDING??!!

Magicians, Indian fakirs, etc. can stop their pulse from being detected by placing a rubber ball in the armpit and squeezing it. Yes, that simple!

The list is endless.......

• timetochange
    timetochange

Blueblades,

I would think that the New Testament accounts of these Nine Resurrections would tell us a lot more about the individuals who were resurrected and what they did with the rest of their lives and future death. It would make for a much more powerful witness to Jesus' claim to resurrect all his followers in the future. What do you think?

If the NT were a story then it would make sense that all these loose ends should at least merit a paragraph or two of explanation but the NT is not a story it is a collection of books written by a group of people whose intent was to promote the teachings of the Christ and the new way that was born from those teachings. Those letters that were preserved, for instance, served to encourage, teach and reprimand the Christian congregations to which they were addressed they were not meant to be historical accounts.

The NT itself gives evidence that we do not have all the letters written. It is possible that these missing letters may have contained some comment or two concerning these things but there is no way of knowing that. I suppose it could be compared to the letters Abraham Lincoln wrote during his Presidency which discuss the major issues of his day but do not address everything because that was not their purpose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit