Deaths Due to Watchtower Blood Doctrine - Statistic on one patient populat

by Marvin Shilmer 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Deaths Due to Watchtower Blood Doctrine - Statistics on one patient population

To date there is no vetted study of records offering estimates of overall mortality and morbidity attributable to the WTS’ blood doctrine. Vetted literature frequently expresses adherence to the WTS’ blood doctrine as causing premature death and/or disease, but the question of overall mortality and morbidity is very complex and, so far, unaddressed statistically.

On the other hand, there is at least one decent peer reviewed study that helps wrap our brains around the serious consequence of following the WTS’ blood doctrine. This study is published in BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, and it addresses only one patient presentation — maternity. This peer reviewed article provides sufficient statistical data to conservatively estimate annual deaths based on maternity.

The 2002 medical article by Khadra et al states:

“In the CEMD the very high risk of mortality in women who refuse blood transfusion was highlighted. The death rate in this group was 1 per 1,000 maternities compared with an expected incidence of less than 1 per 100, 000 maternities.”(1)

Assuming an annual birth rate of 20 per 1,000(2), and based on the Watchtower organization’s annual statistics, over the period of 1995 through 2006 there were at least 1,455,000 births among Jehovah’s Witnesses. Assuming these women presented themselves as refusing blood, this translates into 1,455 deaths during this period compared to less than 14 expected deaths.

The source cited by Khadra et al only addresses maternal deaths in the United Kingdom. Compared to other nations the UK has a relatively low birth rate on one hand, and on the other hand has rather advanced medical facilities and treatment options. Hence the statistical extrapolation of 1,455 deaths is extremely conservative given that a significant population of Jehovah’s Witnesses lives in developing countries where birth rates are much higher and medical facilities and treatment options far less capable.

A frightening historical reality occurs considering that 1) at the time the Watchtower began imposing its blood doctrine in 1961 the annual world birth rate was around 35 per 1,000 population and that 2) compared to today’s medical standards maternal mortality and morbidity rates around 1961 were considerably higher, particularly in underdeveloped regions of the world. (The latter is reflected in the nearly twice as high statistical death rate in 1960 compared to 2005)(3) This reality is exacerbated considering this virtual slaughter only represents the single patient presentation of maternity. It does not even begin to consider mortality and morbidity resulting from literally hundreds of other/additional serious medical presentations.

Marvin Shilmer __________________
    References:

1. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2002, 2:7 (Full text available at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/2/7 )

2. Sourced from The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (esa.un.org). United Kingdom and World annual birth rates per 1,000 population is measured based on source’s calculator available at http://esa.un.org/unpp/index.asp?panel=3 . Parameters applied for the United Kingdom rate are, region: United Kingdom; variant: medium; start/end year: 1985 and 2005. Parameters applied for world rate are, region: world; variant: medium; start/end year: 1985 and 2005.

3. Sourced from The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (esa.un.org). World annual birth and death rates per 1,000 population is measured based on source’s calculator available at http://esa.un.org/unpp/index.asp?panel=3 . Parameters applied are, region: world; variant: medium; start/end year: 1960 and 2005.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Thank you for this information, Marvin.

Kind Regards,

Sam

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Thanks for the research Marvin.

It is useful and very much appreciated.

The Oracle

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This is important information and a good reply to the thread I started yesterday at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/135658/1.ashx

Blood is overused in some situations, but essential in others. We need accurate information to make informed decisions on when a blood transfusion is essential for saving life.

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks again, Marvin!

I always find information like this upsetting. It brings home to me my own stupidity in the past, and that is always an upset for anyone.

A few years ago I was pregnant with my last baby. I was sent to see an anaesthetist at 35 weeks who told me, due to my history with other pregnancys that I was at very high risk of bleeding to death. However, she said she would put herself on call so that at what ever time I went into labour she would be my anaesthetist and respect my right to not accept blood and that she would have everything organized in advance.

So, I was to have my baby in a top UK maternity teaching hospital and I felt pretty secure and I'm ashamed to say, pretty self righteous at how I was going to get through this with no blood and respect God's wishes blah de blah etc.

It turned out that my baby was presenting across the abdomen and I had polyhydramnios as well. I'd like to point out that I am 5 feet and a petite build, so I went into an emergency caesarean situation with an already blood count of nearly 9 (sorry can't remember that unit). Just before surgery, three doctors turned up and begged me to reconsider my no blood stand. They said that if I haemorraged there was a high chance I would die, and that though they would perform an emergency hysterectomy and apply all blood alternatives, there was no guarantee of survival. I stuck to my obstinate guns of no blood.

Baby was delivered quickly. Haemorraging began so fast my husband nearly passed out and had to be removed from theatre. He tells me the floor, the doctors the nurses were covered in blood. More doctors came in, and more nurses to place sheets all over the floor to stop the frantic surgeons slipping over. I remember glancing in a brief moment of consciousness at a young surgeon helping the frantic consultant and seeing him dressed in a red gown from his chest down and not green. I remember the surgeon trying to be calm but nearly shouting at him 'clamp Clamp! Clamp!

The next few days don't exist to me. I really don't remember much at all but I spent nearly a week in a High Dependency Unit and I do remember a group of doctors coming into see me and saying, 'You'd be all right now if you would please reconsider and accept a blood transfusion!' Doctors came from two other local teaching hospital to see how I was getting on. I couldn't swallow, I couldn't walk, I was on oxygen constantly as on the one occassion they tried to take oxygen away my blood oxygen started to drop rapidly and I remember it dropping to about 87% and feeling extra bad and the very frustrated doctor walking away nodding his head.

However, after a week, I was able to walk around and was finally discharged home with a still very low blood count, but managing.

You'd think that my JW parents would have come and helped me with my baby and four other children, and all that I had suffered.

My mother told me that I was 'fine'. Not having a blood transfusion actually makes a person get better faster so I should be going back to the meetings by now!!!

I can't tell you how ill and weak I was for nearly two months after this near disaster. But I can tell you that not one ever loving JW helped me and mine in anyway, including any of my relatives!

I feel a fool now. I think of the stress I put my husband through, (he was traumatised for quite a while), the nurses and doctors and surgeons and even myself.

I primarily give the blame for this near disaster to myself. I was the fool who allowed myself to believe the Watchtower misinformation on blood.

Fighting the blood transfusion band is something I feel very strongly about. I think you might understand why, and I am grateful to all who put so much work into research this murderous doctine.

• Gill
    Gill

Does anyone have information on how the 'Tort of Misrepesentation' regarding the WT and blood transfusion is doing? Has it had an impact in anyway on JWs and 'suicide pact' with the WT?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Hi Gill,

Reading your story made me anxious, sad, and then happy because you obviously survived. However, after reflecting on your experience the only emotion that is left is ANGER.

Such a senseless and stupid policy that also happens to be MURDEROUS !! I can put up with a lot of senseless and stupid things - but when one of those stupid things crosses the line and actually KILLS people and puts others in DANGER OF DYING I get a wee but ornery.

It has to stop.

The Oracle.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

thanks for the info

purps

• Gill
    Gill

The Oracle - Do you know what my story makes me think of? I think of all the JW women in 2nd and third world countries, who are not in a top teaching hospital with a first class surgeon and anaesthetist and every possible help to hand.

At one point, it was considered that I be moved to another hospital with an ECMO machine, one of the only 2 or 3 in europe.

How many other JW women get such top treatment in all those other parts of the world?

Too many die from the blood ban. Sometimes BLOOD is the ONLY medicine that will do the job. The Watchtower makes tragedies and their stupid rules always weigh heavily on the poorest and most vulnerable people!

Compare Mexico and Malawi!

Compare hospitals in the USA / UK and Africa!

What a cruel organization!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    My mother told me that I was 'fine'. Not having a blood transfusion actually makes a person get better faster so I should be going back to the meetings by now!!!

My mother...didn't 'get better', she literally smothered to death. No matter what the doctors tried...her oxygen level just kept going down...until her heart stopped from lack of that needed oxygen. She needed red blood cells. But, her belief in the WT GoBs, murdered her.

Gill, I'm glad you're here to tell your story. THANK YOU...for being so detailed...and graphic. Death is not pretty, clean or sanitary. Witnesses need to read graphic stories like yours to 'shake them up' a little, hopefully making them think. The doctors in my Mom's case, just like in yours, reacted the same painful way...they are doing their jobs... trying their best to preserve life and cannot because of idiotic religious beliefs. At the end of the day, it's not only the JW that pays dearly...the doctors, nurses, relatives & friends are all victims, too.

Marvin, thank you for researching this. Somebody HAS already done a 'study' and knows the exact figure of the WT blood doctrine victims. The WatchTower...knows ! Not only do they know...they are proud of it ! Remember the Awake ? magazine where they showed the smiling pictures of a few of their youth victims ?

[Somebody...Please post a scan of that most appropriate "WatchTower Pride" article on this thread.]

To Bethelites: If you know and can get this information from the WT...and get it published here or somewhere...you could be instrumental in saving thousands of innocent lives...by embarrassing the GB so much, that they might finally abandon this deadly doctrine.

Rabbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit