Why are congregations dissolved?

by mtsgrad 27 Replies latest jw friends

• merfi
    merfi
    I have heard of it happening twice, I was not at either. The first was in the 1970's, in South Carolina. Mom said that it happened because of something called wife swapping. The elders were all disfellowshipped. And the other was in Iowa, don't know of the details, but one JW sister who was there said that the elders were teaching something other than what the Watchtower in New York was instructing. The elders were all disfellowshipped also. Woop I'm bad, the congeration at Iowa was not dissolved, but all the elders, but one was removed. And he was the one sent in as a spy to see if the acuations were true or not.

You don't remember the town, do you? Gilmore City maybe....? ~merfi

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

This has been happening a lot in NYC, low attendence in some of the congregations. What they do is merge one congregation with another. If a congreation is having a lot of problems, sometimes they will also dissolve it (heard of one congregation in long Island with a lot of molestation going on years back that they dissolved but I don't know how factual that is, my friend may be exaggerating)

• Purza
    Purza

About 7 years ago there were two congregations in one hall. One did well and the other had dwindled down to about 25 publishers and the meeting attendance was horrendous. The one hall was dissolved and merged with the other -- to make one big happy hall.

Purza

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

My congo in FL was just dissolved not two months ago. Holy Spirit said it was time to split off some Bros to form a new group from an established congo, and then the older congo took some huge hits when three families (we all know how one Dub family can comprise LOTS of Publishers!) moved away so the splinter congo was dissolved. Lots of lives were royally displaced in the process, At least two families packed up from Bethel to join the greater need only to find that the Holy Spirit seemed to have made a mistake!

• Highlander
    Highlander
    (we all know how one Dub family can comprise LOTS of Publishers!)

Yep, you can count my family in that category. One big ass family of j-dubs.

• jimbo
    jimbo

A cong. near here disolved several years back. The WTBS sold the hall for a profit since land was donated and much of the materials too. All the labor was free. It was all paid for with local contributions.

The supposed reason was not enough people. The witnesses had to go elsewhere. The Tower pocketed a tidy sum and the old timers that invested so much lost out and had to travel a long way if they wanted to go to a hall. Bastards just looked at the demographics and could see that there was little money to be made from these people by keeping the Hall open.

Guess they needed the money for the world wide work. Maybe the money was needed to bolster their "PEDOPHILE PROTECTION PROGRAM".

jimbo

• R.F.
    R.F.

It's a business. Just like others, when individual stores aren't working up to par or are meeting company policy, they are shut down.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well the countryside congregation in Middletown Ohio was dissolved in the mid 1980's, No one seemed to know why, but there was alot of talk about immorality or apostasy. Does anyone know anything about this former congregation?

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

The JW sister was from Ottumwa, Iowa. I was there in the early 1990's, for two weeks. I forgot what you call it, but it is where JWs from other areas would go "to where the need was great", and go out in field service. I remember it was brought up, because I was talking her about something, JW related, don't recall the subject. But I do remember that she was very nervous, because of the elders being removed, about teaching from the stage things other than what the Watchtower instructed. That had happened only a few months before I was there.

• blondie
    blondie

1) Not obedient to the WTS or its traveling representatives

2) Too small/no administrative support and there is another nearby congregation (small congregations can be sooooooooooooo discouraging: no growth, inbred, too isolated)

3) Not able to make their mortgage payments (as opposed to refusing to do so)

But then in olden jw times, there were congregations with only women, and women handled most of the admin duties.

There have been congregations of 2 or 3 with everyone having a part on the TMS every week........complain about that jws in bigger cities.

BTW, who encountered the word hangup, over calling make one congregation two, not "split" but "expand"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit