Why are congregations dissolved?

by mtsgrad 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Only once in my life have I heard of a congregation being dissolved (closed down) for reasons of sin.

Has anyone here heard of congs being closed down? Why were they? How often does it happen? What is the protocol?

mtsgrad

• R.F.
    R.F.

I heard one was dissolved recently because the BOE refused to have the congregation that part in the Kingdom News #37 tract distribution.

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Rank,

Thanks,

• uninformed
    uninformed

I know of a couple of cases of congregations being dissolved.

In some cases the groups are so small that they have no elders in the territory, so volunteer elders come to serve at the cong. Then, after some time, the elders may need to move on or die or whatever, and it leaves the group without the loving oversight of a God/Organization appointed shepherd, and the congregation is dissolved, basically for lack of interest.

In one case, the entire body of elders may have a "key club" like one that was reportedly in Paris, Texas. It was my understanding that the cong. was dissolved.

Another case was in Bonham, Texas, where the "trustees", elders who acted legally on behalf of the congregation, decided that they didn't want to be part of the WT Society anymore. In that case, they took the Kingdom Hall with them! Congrats to them.

Brant

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

I have heard of it happening twice, I was not at either. The first was in the 1970's, in South Carolina. Mom said that it happened because of something called wife swapping. The elders were all disfellowshipped. And the other was in Iowa, don't know of the details, but one JW sister who was there said that the elders were teaching something other than what the Watchtower in New York was instructing. The elders were all disfellowshipped also. Woop I'm bad, the congeration at Iowa was not dissolved, but all the elders, but one was removed. And he was the one sent in as a spy to see if the acuations were true or not.

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

Stealing a hall. Now that is classy!

mtsgrad

• DJK
    DJK

I heard about the S. Carolina KH back in the 70s. And I heard about the wife swapping.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

so, all the "fun" halls are dissolved? lol

• metaspy
    metaspy

I had a CO one time who was "the hammer" of the WTS.
    He was sent to the circuits with problems to either straighten them out or disband congs.
    At the end of his 3 year visit there was one less congregation in our area.
    the rumors said that the reason was the elder body in the former congregation would not follow WTS protocol and did how ever they deemed fit.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Because they will all go that way eventually.

The Tower just likes to do things in an orderly fashion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit