What was your 1st Deception as a JW?

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Was was the first thing that really decieved you, in your JW years?

Was it the way you were treated, or maybe a teaching that deceived you ?

I think my 1st deception was when they said that the resurrected ones wouldn't be allowed to get married in the new system.

Then I wondered why ??? won't they have sexual desires anymore ?

Not that I thought that I would die soon, but you never know....accidents happen.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

I learned at a very young age that elders weren't looking out for your best interests. They weren't interested in your concerns, all they cared about was how much field service time you were putting in.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I felt that the WTS were really like a radically different religion from the rest of christianity which disgusted me. I really thought that they were different in a good way. Then, when I was in I saw the way elders acted, I was aksed not to wear a jersey to the KH, the beard thing, lots of other man made rules. Then the d/f issue which you dont really have a grip on as a study. The whole thing just began to fall apart very quickly. I should have left earlier than I did.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JH:

That teaching about those that "would not marry"...didn't sit well with me either. There would be two categories of people in the new earth then: those that do and those that don't. I don't think this makes for a very united world and sounds like a bad start. Also, what would happen if somebody of the "does" category becomes attracted to somebody of the "doesn't" category? Sounds like a mess to me.

LHG

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Life at Bethel.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I was at Bethel early 70's,,the preaching about '75 was high, people "popping in" the organization like never before, my mom had died of cancer,,she would be resurrected soon. Then the WTS bought the huge Squibb building down the street. I asked how quickly are "we" going to be utilizing all that space. The response was that it would take "years." Somehow, it didn't make sense to me. Yet, it took more years for me to "unravel" the rest of the issues/contradictions before I said to myself "that's enough, I'm done!"

• Undecided
    Undecided

What soon means in the human lifespan.

Ken P.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I learned at a very young age that while they preach love, they don't practice it.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Actually it was the disfellowshipping for smokers. They offered no real help for those trying to quit, in the way of programs or assistance.. You were considered spiritually weak. Yet when my mil who was a true believer died, she left her money to the WTBTS and they had no problem taking the money, from thie disfellowshipped woman. This was just one of the signs of hypocrisy that was apparent to me at that time. Many more quickly followed that event.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I think my 1st deception was when they said that the resurrected ones wouldn't be allowed to get married in the new system.

Me too. I was raised as a Catholic and started "studying" at 18. They taught me there would be no marriage in the "new system" and that premarital sex was wrong. Then they said this "system" probably wouldn't last another 2 years. I did what any normal 18 year old would do. I cancelled the "study" and went on a sexual rampage, trying to squeeze as many partners as possible into the little time that remained. I was determined to get laid as much as possible before "the end" came.

Sadly, when I turned 25 I once again lost my mind and resumed my "study".

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit